Need To Pick Your Brains...

Decorating By MnSnow Updated 4 Apr 2009 , 7:38am by luvsfreebies72

MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 11:44pm
post #1 of 7

I have a new customer that has been ordering lots of cakes from me, with money not being a problem icon_smile.gif

She and her DH are opening 2 spas and want an "over the top" cake for it. I suggested a working waterfall design and she was very excited about that. I have hit a block coming up with the rest of the design that would tie it all together, with spa, waterfall and over the top.

I have been doing some searches but haven't come up with anything

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

TIA

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 11:50pm
post #2 of 7

Sorry.......nothing comes to my mind. Maybe later something will.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 12:05am
post #3 of 7

I don't know--I'm just gonna ramble--brainstorm.

Spa like massages & get your nails done and facials and stuff?

Well I mean this is brainstorming remember--I'd do a massage table (with the hole for your face in it) on top of the cake with the waterfall coming down from there and I'd put a few cucumber* looking slices around--two at at time--y'know how they always put them on their eyes for removing puffiness--and I'd put some jars of ointment and bottles of lotion and potion and nail polish and a few towels tossed here and there, or a stack of folded white towels, candles, potpourri.

You can make it look cartoony or you could make that look pretty classy depending on which way you go.

I mean you could put a lumpy body on the table too under the sheet.

Or you could just do some really pretty florals outlining the cascade of water--I'm thinking tier cake for all this.

*out of fondant of course. (cuke + cake = yuck!)

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 12:05am
post #4 of 7

OK when you say "working waterfall" do you mean with real water? All I can picture is wet cake icon_confused.gif

My mind is taking me to a carved cake that looks like rock formations with a waterfall coming down the center into a sparkling blue lagoon. Kind of like some of those beautiful waterfalls you see in the Caribbean or Hawaii. You could do some gorgeous water lilies floating around and even make some "skinny dippers" in the lagoon.

Edit to add****

You could have a *slogan* like.........."Let _______(name of spa) take you to paradise" or something corny like that.

MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 2:15am
post #5 of 7

I mean yes real water in that water fall icon_smile.gif I have that figured out so the cake will not get wet.

I adore your ideas so far. I was thinking about a kind of tropical thing with the waterfall but wanted to try and incorporate the spa part in it too.

Keep them coming! I may take parts of all the ideas and combine it into one.

I need to have a design for the customer by the end of June or so.

I mean she ordered a birthday cake for her DD first birthday that was 5 tiers! Didn't think anything of it and only expecting 25 guests. She is a medical researchist and her DH is a Doctor so I really want to WOW her with this design.

soygurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soygurl Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 7:34am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnSnow

I mean yes real water in that water fall icon_smile.gif I have that figured out so the cake will not get wet.

Ooo, mind sharing how you are planning on doing that? I wonder if you're plans are at all similar to how I did my waterfall cakes. For me, the first one was a MAJOR learning experience, but the second one worked better (I had a lot more cake experience by that time too). I'm so jealous you got a customer excited about the idea! I had to make the second one for myself because I wanted to try it again! icon_rolleyes.gif

Here's what I'm envisioning for the cake... Have the waterfall coming down one side... have the rest of the cake fashioned all nature-ie with rocks and flowers (kinda like dkelly suggested), but then have little "clearings" in the nature with spa stations. One could have a massage table, one could have a pedicure char, one could look like a sauna, etc. Ask the customer what types of services they want highlighted for their spa. Make it look like the spa itself is IN the tropical wilderness!

I wonder if that makes sense... I can picture it perfectly in my head, and with all the miniature details, not to mention the real waterfall, it would certainly be considered "over the top" right?
icon_rolleyes.gificon_biggrin.gif

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 7:38am
post #7 of 7

I vote for waterfallsoygirl's design! icon_lol.gif fabulous

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%