Help! Chocolate Mosaic Cake & Time Management

Decorating By Sunshyne_gal Updated 5 Apr 2009 , 3:34am by Sunshyne_gal

Sunshyne_gal Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 11:28pm
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone. I need some help here. I'm going to attempt to make chocolate mosaics (TODAY!!) to adhere to the side of a chocolate groom's cake but I have a few questions.

What is the best way to go about doing this? I'm considering just melting some semi-sweets in the microwave then spreading the chocolate into a thin layer on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper. After it dries, pick up the wax paper and drop as hard and as flat as I can on the counter top??

I want to properly manage my time as well as possible so would it be a good idea to frost the cake tonight then apply the mosaics tomorrow morning? Would it be okay if I applied them tonight?

I apologize if my questions seem a bit silly but I am most certainly an amateur.

TIA for all of your help!

4 replies
rebump Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 11:44pm
post #2 of 5

What I usually do is take some broken chocolate pieces, almonds, and sugar and blend them all together until the mixture is like powder. On top of this "powder" I would spread butter (not margarine), flour and salt. Blend this until the butter in very fine pieces. Add egg and vanilla. Pulse about 15 times or stir lightly until mixture sticks together when pinched with fingers. On plastic wrap, knead a few times to bring dough together to form a ball; flatten to 8". Use your fingers to pat the dough into tart pan than to roll dough. Use a flat tart pan with 1″ fluted sides. Bake in center of oven at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes. Remove outside ring of pan. From there on I go to the store for filling and crust. icon_biggrin.gif

Good luck

kakeladi Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 1:31am
post #3 of 5

It sounds like a good plan to me. You probably don't want the choco too thin. If it doesn't break up well enough, reheat in the MW just enough to soften the choco let it cool, but before it is hard, you can cut it into odd shapes.
Yes you can apply the pieces on the cake tonighticon_wink.gif If you didn't get it done tonight, then when you attach them tomorrow, pipe an open ring of b'cream on the back of the bigger pieces; the small ones probably will only need a dot or two.

leah_s Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 1:42am
post #4 of 5

You're cutting mosaic pieces for the side of a cake right? I use fondant, rolled thin, cut in a strip 4" wide (the height of a tier) and take an Xacto and cut into pieces of a manageable size. Then pick them up and slap them on.

Sunshyne_gal Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 3:34am
post #5 of 5

Thanks for the advice, gals. I ended up cutting the chocolate with a cookie cutter and applied it to the crusted cake by adding b.c. to the back of the chocolate pieces. It turned out great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%