Attention Sweetex Users- Please Help!

Decorating By foxymomma521 Updated 4 Apr 2009 , 1:39pm by foxymomma521

foxymomma521 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 10:17pm
post #1 of 6

I have used many different brands of Hi-Ratio shortening. Love it, won't go back to Crisco. Anyway, I ordered some sweetex from the bakerskitchen .net the other day and I just made a really big batch (actually 6 batches) of BC with it...
When I opened the container it was off white... every other brand I've used has been white?? I swear it smelled a little like Play-Doh, and now my icing has an off taste to it.
SO, does it always look off white? Does it have a smell? Did I just waste a ton of ingredients because I used bad shortening?
Kris Fox

5 replies
foxymomma521 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 11:28pm
post #2 of 6

please- someone?
I've added extra flavoring, and it tastes okay, but not like normal. I'm just afraid to get someone sick! If you've used sweetex can you please tell me if it's slightly off white?

JanH Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 2:34am
post #3 of 6

When I bought Sweetex in 3# containers from the decorating supply store it was not white. Rather it was yellow with some translucent spots, but it had no discernible odor or flavor.

When I got my 50# cube of Sweetex (special order from GFS - Gordon Food Service) the shortening was a solid creamy white, again with no discernible odor or flavor.

Regardless of the color, there should never be a discernible odor or taste to ANY shortening, hi-ratio or Crisco.

Properly handled and stored, Sweetex has a shelf life of 1 year. Did you order the 50# cube. If so, there should be a "use by date" stamped on top of the box.

I wouldn't hesitate to call or email thebakerskitchen and let them know you got a box of old product that had "turned" either because it was old or was mishandled somewhere between the manufacturer and you.

P.S. Had no idea thebakerskitchen had both .net and .com sites.

leah_s Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 2:37am
post #4 of 6

Shortenings are getting reformulated. Make sure you have the product you've purchased in the past, probably WITH transfat, not a new formula that is TFF (trans fat free.) The boxes will look very similar but the label will tell you which you've got.

JanH Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 2:53am
post #5 of 6

The transfat free Sweetex will read, "SweetexZ".

foxymomma521 Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 1:39pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks ladies. It was a 4 pound container. My husband thinks I'm crazy. But it is a slightly ivory color. Also, since opening the container yesterday it doesn't have a smell anymore?? Sort of like when you open the box of Christmas decorations that've been stored away all year and when you open it you get a whiff of "stale air"... LOL... I probably sound like a crazy person, and even tho DH thinks the icing tastes like normal I'm going to remake with off brand crisco (cause I can't get hi-ratio anywhere here today)
Thanks again!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%