Those Who've Taken Wilton Level I Course Pls Come In....

Decorating By Skyebaby Updated 7 Apr 2009 , 8:45pm by JulyMama

Skyebaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skyebaby Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 11:47pm
post #31 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by kates_kakes

I just finished Course 2 and loved it. Course 1 was great also. Good luck to you and I hope you enjoy it. Will you be taking the other three courses?

I absolutely hope so icon_smile.gif We have a 10month old so arranging things so I could committ to this one was a bit of a challenge and a lot of luck that it's held on a Saturday so we'll see........

Skyebaby Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 11:50pm
post #32 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNameinNM

Since you bought the big 101 piece set, you're good to go for Course 1. About the only thing that's not in the big kit that most students also love to have is one of the cake decorating turntables.

Your instructor may also encourage you to purchase meringue powder, and piping gel, plus the clown heads that are used in the third lesson. Some students also prefer the parchment bags but you'll have enough disposable bags from the big kit to get you through Course 1.

She or he will probably show you lots of good "toys" the first night of class, and you will already have most of them in the big blue caddy!

If you go on to the other classes, you'll want to get the specific kits for those classes. Some students with the blue caddy get by in Course 2 without purchasing the kit and just acquiring the extra tips, but I always recommend students get it anyway. If you shop at a store that regularly offers the 40% off coupon, it's worth it for the great little set of pans and the extra tips.

I hope you love your class-- it's so much fun!

Ooooh! Seems you're an instructor icon_smile.gif I do have a turntable and meringue powder so that's good! The clown head and piping gel I will pick up I guess when I get in tomororow. I wonder if they have different heads..........clowns scare me lol.

mirda6275 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mirda6275 Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 1:05am
post #33 of 48

my instructor was flexible on the clowns, you could see if your instructor will let you use the mini doll pics instead and pipe 'bodies' for the girls.

I didn't have piping jell and it didn't make a big difference, I just made the 'thin' icing and it just wasn't as shiny...

it sounds like your good to go! I really hope you enjoy the class!

NoNameinNM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NoNameinNM Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 4:46am
post #34 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyebaby

Ooooh! Seems you're an instructor icon_smile.gif I do have a turntable and meringue powder so that's good! The clown head and piping gel I will pick up I guess when I get in tomororow. I wonder if they have different heads..........clowns scare me lol.

Yep, I'm an instructor! I love it! icon_smile.gif

LOL-- Clowns scare a LOT of people, and I've seen some pretty creative solutions. One of my favorites was when a student bought 2 dozen Santa Claus Pez dispensers, took the heads off and used them instead of the clown heads.

paula19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula19 Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 5:03am
post #35 of 48

I took courses 1-3. The 1st day of course 1 you don't really have to bring anything. The instructor will give you your own course 1 book and introduce you to what you will be learning and what you will be needing for the course . Don't worry about the cake yet. You won't need 1 for the 1st class/lesson. But you will need to turn in an iced cake the next 3 classes and a batch of icing you'll be using to practice decorating techniques. The instructor will inform you all about it. My tips are 1) if you have any questions, or you can't do a technique right or something, speak up! The instructor will teach you all you need to know, but they can't know all the time if you need help. 2) practice, practice, practice! And most importantly... 3) HAVE FUN! icon_biggrin.gif

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 5:07am
post #36 of 48

My course 1 WMI didn't care if we bought the clown heads or not. I opted not to since I knew I would never use them again since they are U_G_L_Y icon_lol.gif

I loved my WMI for courses 2-fondant/gumpaste. My instructor for course 1 was just "ok"

to the poster that had the issue with the WMI: I would definitely take it up w/ the store manager where you took the class and ask if it's possible to retake the course for free w/ a different WMI. If they don't give you satisfaction, give Wilton Industries a call. (My WMI told me to do this as I wasn't happy with what happened in my course 1 class)

JenWhitlock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWhitlock Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 5:27am
post #37 of 48

I did the same thing - buying the BIG box at the begining.
I'm such a geek, I looked up what was in the kit, and any other items that I knew I wanted to buy (e.g. flower sissors, baking strips)
then I made a spreadsheet with everthing itemized out.
I knew that I could use a coupon for the whole box, but it would be impractical to use a coupon for all the little things....
anyway it worked out cheaper to do what you did - so good job!

I took all four courses and learned a lot.
I didn't buy the clowns, and I didn't buy a lot of colors. (at first, now I have a tub of colors icon_rolleyes.gif )
and I sent cakes in with DH to work. icon_lol.gif
engineers LOVE free food and don't care what it looks like icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 5:54am
post #38 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twopeasinapod

Man, I sure wish I was where you gals are! icon_cry.gif I took the classes and we NEVER took a cake and only practiced designs on wax paper. I was SOOOO disappointed that I did not go back to the last class. She only had one person bring one small cake and she showed us how to ice it and then she said that is the only time she will show us. I feel so deprived!!!! icon_cry.gif

OMG!...I am a wilton teacher.. My students bring a cake not iced the second day so I can teach them how to iced the cake correctly. Even though is not typical for teachers to do that the base of your cale is the most important part of your cake.

Just in case Im leaving my tutorials in youtube. It has the basics on making the buttercream and icing the cake. They will help you with your class..

Have fun!
Edna

tonedna Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 5:56am
post #39 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2spunkynbug

I'm pretty sure if you bought the big tool caddy filled, that you won't need to buy the individual kits.

Have fun!

You have almost everything that you need in there, but there is a few tips you might need to buy.. Nothing major. But honestly, once you start baking, your brain just wants to keep adding to your collection!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

tonedna Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 6:02am
post #40 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirda6275

my instructor was flexible on the clowns, you could see if your instructor will let you use the mini doll pics instead and pipe 'bodies' for the girls.

I didn't have piping jell and it didn't make a big difference, I just made the 'thin' icing and it just wasn't as shiny...

it sounds like your good to go! I really hope you enjoy the class!

Things will change from one instructor to the next. I never ask my student tp bring the clowns head, although some people do run to buy them. Im one that is scared of clowns.. icon_redface.gificon_lol.gif

As for piping gel... I rarely use it..and I never tell my students to buy it. I been doing weddings for a long time and is rare for me to use the piping gel unless I am doing certain designs.

As for merengue powder, is almost a must have. Merengue powder is a stabilizer on the buttercream.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 6:17am
post #41 of 48

I still haven't bought any piping gel... we only used it for pattern transfers and the WMI supplied it for us so we wouldn't have to buy it

Skyebaby Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 11:18am
post #42 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

OMG!...I am a wilton teacher.. My students bring a cake not iced the second day so I can teach them how to iced the cake correctly. Even though is not typical for teachers to do that the base of your cale is the most important part of your cake.

Have fun!
Edna

Wow, I really hope my instructor is like you in that respect! I've done 2 cakes on my own so far, the second much better than the first, but I am obsessed with getting the base looking perfect first. In fact, Edna, YOUR youtubes are what inspired me to do all of this in the first place. I just did a random search and there you were icon_smile.gif Then I found this site and here you are! How cool lol. It's like you're a celebrity to me icon_smile.gif

I will be sure to report back when I get back this afternoon as to how it all went!!!

tonedna Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 2:46pm
post #43 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyebaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Have fun!
Edna

Wow, I really hope my instructor is like you in that respect! I've done 2 cakes on my own so far, the second much better than the first, but I am obsessed with getting the base looking perfect first. In fact, Edna, YOUR youtubes are what inspired me to do all of this in the first place. I just did a random search and there you were icon_smile.gif Then I found this site and here you are! How cool lol. It's like you're a celebrity to me icon_smile.gif

I will be sure to report back when I get back this afternoon as to how it all went!!!

I cant say that all instructors are like me... Some of them are too new, others just teach what's in the course. But you still will find plenty of good teachers out there all of them with different styles.

I work as a Weding Cake designer. I love teaching, and thats why I do it. But I dont have as much time so I ony teach one day a week.I love to see people learning and enjoying themselves. And that's my priority..
Edna thumbs_up.gif

cblupe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cblupe Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 3:21pm
post #44 of 48

Michellkelly suggested buying tip 352 (it's a leaf tip) even though tip 67 is included in the course 1 kit. Great adivse! Tip 67 was Mr. Wilton's very first leaf tip and he was so proud of his tips that Wilton will never discontinue this tip. The problem with tip 67 is it doesn't seem to want to make points on your leaves. Tip 352 is a great leaf tip.

I always provided a tub of piping gel for my students to use as needed. I always brought in a box of powdered sugar for icing repair work. And I provided one clown head per student. It always amazed me how many people fear clowns. Demo-ing clowns was one of my favorite things!

I hope you get a great instructor and enjoy the classes. I miss teaching these classes.

tonedna Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 3:26pm
post #45 of 48

lol.. I always do bring a clown with me too.. And usually people go runing to buy them. But yeah,,lots of people fear them.. icon_lol.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Anntee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anntee Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 3:40pm
post #46 of 48

Edna: At what point in making your buttercream do you add the meringue powder? With the powdered sugar? I've always used the Wilton recipe which has the meringue powder whipped up with water before adding rest of ingredients.

Your tutorials are marvelous. Thank you so much for sharing your talent!

tonedna Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 3:49pm
post #47 of 48

Yes Anntee...with the powder sugar.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

JulyMama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulyMama Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 8:45pm
post #48 of 48

I just took course 1 and my course 2 starts tomorrow night. My instructor is awesome! she has a cake business on the side and teaches us other things as well as the WM.
She told us instead of getting clown heads, we could use lollipops, just cut the sticks and you could pipe a face on them. There was 2 people in my class who did this instead and they looked cute!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%