Those Who've Taken Wilton Level I Course Pls Come In....

Decorating By Skyebaby Updated 7 Apr 2009 , 8:45pm by JulyMama

Skyebaby Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 8:59pm
post #1 of 48

I start tomorrow morning at 10am icon_smile.gif I'm very excited.

I ended up buying that big ole "professional tool box" full of Wilton stuff because we had a 50% of coupon so for $75 I figured I'd be set for anything they throw at me and save some $$ over buying it all seperate. Anyhow, I digress.

Did you guys make actual cakes in class? And if you did, do you store them there for the week or take them home? I can't imagine how they orchestrate this as I've never smelled actual cake being baked when I've gone into Joann's before lol. Do they just use fake cakes? That would make most sense but could kinda threaten our technique in the begninging, no?

Should I bring my big box of stuff or will I look like a Cake Geek trying to be the class pet??? lol
Any other tips????

47 replies
aggiechef Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 9:07pm
post #2 of 48

We never made the actual cakes in class. The way it works is that you bring the cake iced and ready to decorate. Your instructor will probably explain all of this during the first class. After you're done decorating your cake each week, you get to take it home. My coworkers LOVED eating cake each week. icon_smile.gif

I would take all of your stuff to class with you tomorrow. Don't worry about looking like a cake geek (LOL!!). I looked the same way in my first class. I already had quite a collection of stuff prior to taking the classes so I took it with me.

Hope this helps and congrats on taking your first class. icon_smile.gif

rottieluvr2000 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 9:07pm
post #3 of 48

Congrats on your first class!

The first night is all about the instructor and she/he telling you what will happen for the next three weeks. They will also show you how to make frosting and level/tort a cake.

As for the cakes you actually bake them at home and bring them to class to decorate.

Abbiedal Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 9:08pm
post #4 of 48

Hi

I'm just finishing class 2, for class 1 you bring in a frosted cake starting week 2 and you decorate it with the techniques they teach you You don't bake the cake there!!! And definitely bring your big box!!!! Thats what its all about all those great tips and tools in it to get a great looking cake!!! Did you buy the class 1 kit?

foxymomma521 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 9:08pm
post #5 of 48

Starting with week 2 you will bring a cake and buttercream with you. New cake every week. Did they give you a letter telling you what to bring the first night? I don't think you need to bring much of anything for your first class. You'll have fun tho! Good Luck!

luvsfreebies72 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 9:09pm
post #6 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyebaby

I start tomorrow morning at 10am icon_smile.gif I'm very excited.

I ended up buying that big ole "professional tool box" full of Wilton stuff because we had a 50% of coupon so for $75 I figured I'd be set for anything they throw at me and save some $$ over buying it all seperate. Anyhow, I digress.

Did you guys make actual cakes in class? And if you did, do you store them there for the week or take them home? I can't imagine how they orchestrate this as I've never smelled actual cake being baked when I've gone into Joann's before lol. Do they just use fake cakes? That would make most sense but could kinda threaten our technique in the begninging, no?

Should I bring my big box of stuff or will I look like a Cake Geek trying to be the class pet??? lol
Any other tips????


I just finished mine along w/ courses 2, 3 and Fondant/Gumpaste. I took my classes at Michael's.

make cakes at home, take 'em home after class. for my course 1 we made 2 cakes and 1 set of cupcakes total over the 4 weeks. For the 1st class you don't need supplies, just paper and pen.

2txmedics Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 9:09pm
post #7 of 48

I took it last year, infact all 3 classes. I loved it. And in reference to your questions in my class, We baked our cakes at home, took them in with our cake supplies, sat at tables 2-3 to a table. We followed our books, our instructor showed us how it was done, and then she walked around to each of us, and monitored us, if we needed help she would stop and show us, how to do it, what was best and why. I learned alot from those classes. After class we got to take the cakes home.

Of course after classes several times, we were tired of cake at home. I would give them to friends, family, neighbors, anyone who I felt could use alittle something. It also help spread the word that I was doing cakes. I LOVE IT!!! And Im glad I did the classes. With each cake I did I took pictures. If you look at my album you can see I have learned alot on my own after those classes and mainly from CCer's in here. Im now wanting a small business on the side from my reg. job. I make some nice money doing cakes. Especially custom cakes. Ive also met in person a woman that is a CCer herself and has been doing cakes for 30yrs. She is now my private teacher on the bigger, more fancier things. Anyone in here if you have a question will help you, you will get tons of advice from everyone. AND THERE IS NEVER A DUMB QUESTION.

HAVE FUN AND REACH FOR THE STARS!!!!!

mirda6275 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 9:10pm
post #8 of 48

you won't need your kit for the first class, but you will for the rest. The instructor will go over everything you need to know the first night--when you need a cake, what tools, the icings used. The first night is a lot of overview, you won't start actually decorating until the second class. Overall, I loved my classes and I'm sure you will too!

You will bake your cakes at home. I just used my regular cake carrier to bring it in. If you don't have one yet, you can use one of your coupons to get one.

I hope you enjoy your first class!

audrey0522 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 9:11pm
post #9 of 48

In the classes I took a lot of people had the big box of supplies. Everyone was excited and very supportive of each other. You bake your cakes at home and take to the class to decorate. We took them home decorated at the end of the evening (and on to work the next day!)
I did decorate my 2 tier "wedding cake" at home and just took it to class. The Wilton classes were a great start for me. Wish I had taken them 20 years ago!

aggiechef Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 9:14pm
post #10 of 48

As far as carrying them to class, I recommend getting the Sterilite one at Wal-Mart or Target. It's a lot like the Wilton one, but only around $6. I've gotten more use out of that thing....absolutely LOVE IT!!!

luvsfreebies72 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 9:16pm
post #11 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by audrey0522

In the classes I took a lot of people had the big box of supplies. Everyone was excited and very supportive of each other. You bake your cakes at home and take to the class to decorate. We took them home decorated at the end of the evening (and on to work the next day!)
I did decorate my 2 tier "wedding cake" at home and just took it to class. The Wilton classes were a great start for me. Wish I had taken them 20 years ago!


I 2nd that one! I don't know what the heck took me so long to get around to taking them...

nutcase68 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 9:17pm
post #12 of 48

The first day you need paper and a pen to take notes. You need to buy kit #1 that goes with the class. Micheals will comp Hobby Lobby 40% off coupon. You need a different kit for each class. Course two - kit #2 etc. I got two #2 kits so I could have extra oval pans and flower formers. When you do a big cake you need more than one set. It does not hurt to have duplicates of some of the tips like the ones in the kit. You probably have them in your new case and will get them in the kits. When you do pansies in course 2 you need two rose tips for example. One for each color of frosting.
Relax and have fun. I really enjoyed the three courses I took.
Mary

Twopeasinapod Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 9:18pm
post #13 of 48

Man, I sure wish I was where you gals are! icon_cry.gif I took the classes and we NEVER took a cake and only practiced designs on wax paper. I was SOOOO disappointed that I did not go back to the last class. She only had one person bring one small cake and she showed us how to ice it and then she said that is the only time she will show us. I feel so deprived!!!! icon_cry.gif

rottieluvr2000 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 9:23pm
post #14 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twopeasinapod

Man, I sure wish I was where you gals are! icon_cry.gif I took the classes and we NEVER took a cake and only practiced designs on wax paper. I was SOOOO disappointed that I did not go back to the last class. She only had one person bring one small cake and she showed us how to ice it and then she said that is the only time she will show us. I feel so deprived!!!! icon_cry.gif




Wow, where in the heck did you take classes? I am a WMI and I have never heard of a class being taught that way.

Skyebaby Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 9:25pm
post #15 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcase68

.......You need a different kit for each class. Course two - kit #2 etc.............




Wait, a kit per class or per course? I'm thinking it's per course.........or they'd have like 12 kits to buy I think what with the 3 courses and 4 classes per course.

rottieluvr2000 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 9:27pm
post #16 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyebaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcase68

.......You need a different kit for each class. Course two - kit #2 etc.............



Wait, a kit per class or per course? I'm thinking it's per course.........or they'd have like 12 kits to buy I think what with the 3 courses and 4 classes per course.




It's a kit per course.

luvsfreebies72 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 9:30pm
post #17 of 48

it's per course

I didn't buy the kit for course 1. didn't need to, I already had everything. since you bought the big tool box you may not need to buy the course kit. At the end of each class the WMI will give you a complete list of everything you will need for the next class. Just go off his/her list and check your toolbox before buying anything. I didn't buy the course kit for class 2, either. Only Fondant/Gumpaste and Course 3.

sidenote: I start gumpaste flowers on Monday!!!!! woo hoo!!

Skyebaby Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 9:31pm
post #18 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by rottieluvr2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyebaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcase68

.......You need a different kit for each class. Course two - kit #2 etc.............



Wait, a kit per class or per course? I'm thinking it's per course.........or they'd have like 12 kits to buy I think what with the 3 courses and 4 classes per course.



It's a kit per course.




Phew!! Was getting nervous as to what I was getting myself into!

Now I'm wondering if someone has the Course 1 Kit box on hand to tell me what is in it so I can compare with what's in my big ole tool box of goodies. I *think* I had my husband to the comparison when we bought it but now I'm not so sure or I would've remembered...........

I guess either way I can just get there a little before start time to make sure but would also be nice to know before going in.

SpringFlour Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 9:35pm
post #19 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyebaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcase68

.......You need a different kit for each class. Course two - kit #2 etc.............



Wait, a kit per class or per course? I'm thinking it's per course.........or they'd have like 12 kits to buy I think what with the 3 courses and 4 classes per course.




No, you're right, it is per course. 3 kits.

rottieluvr2000 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 9:40pm
post #20 of 48
Quote:
Quote:


Phew!! Was getting nervous as to what I was getting myself into!

Now I'm wondering if someone has the Course 1 Kit box on hand to tell me what is in it so I can compare with what's in my big ole tool box of goodies. I *think* I had my husband to the comparison when we bought it but now I'm not so sure or I would've remembered...........

I guess either way I can just get there a little before start time to make sure but would also be nice to know before going in.




Okay this is totally off memory but were we go.

Practic Board with stand
2 plastic decorating bags
1 featherweight bag
1 or 2 couplers
Flower nail
Tip # 12, 104, 2D, 21, 67 (dang and a couple more I can't remember at the moment)
Spatula
Brush
Tip Cleaner

Michelley1213 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 9:51pm
post #21 of 48

The kit contains:
tips 3,12,16,21,104,67 and 2D
flower nail
brush
2 couplers
tip brush
disposable bag
featherweight bags
8" straight comfort grip spatula
and practice board set
I also suggest that my students buy tip 352 as a substutite for leaf tip 67 (I just like it better icon_smile.gif and tip 1 for smaller writing
Good luck in your course!

luvsfreebies72 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 9:51pm
post #22 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by rottieluvr2000

Quote:
Quote:


Phew!! Was getting nervous as to what I was getting myself into!

Now I'm wondering if someone has the Course 1 Kit box on hand to tell me what is in it so I can compare with what's in my big ole tool box of goodies. I *think* I had my husband to the comparison when we bought it but now I'm not so sure or I would've remembered...........

I guess either way I can just get there a little before start time to make sure but would also be nice to know before going in.



Okay this is totally off memory but were we go.

Practic Board with stand
2 plastic decorating bags
1 featherweight bag
1 or 2 couplers
Flower nail
Tip # 12, 104, 2D, 21, 67 (dang and a couple more I can't remember at the moment)
Spatula
Brush
Tip Cleaner


why didn't i think of just going to look at my book?? duh!!

tips 3, 16
decorator brush

(I added what was missed from the above list)

amy81 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 9:51pm
post #23 of 48

The other two tips that are in the kit are #3 and #16. Also make sure that you have the #7 flower nail. I just took the course 1 classes last month and I didn't buy the kit because I had almost everything in the kit. I did have to buy a new flower nail though because I had a different one.

Have fun! icon_smile.gif

luvsfreebies72 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 9:52pm
post #24 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelley1213

The kit contains:
tips 3,12,16,21,104,67 and 2D
flower nail
brush
2 couplers
tip brush
disposable bag
featherweight bags
8" straight comfort grip spatula
and practice board set
I also suggest that my students buy tip 352 as a substutite for leaf tip 67 (I just like it better icon_smile.gif and tip 1 for smaller writing
Good luck in your course!


definitely 352!

mom2spunkynbug Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 10:02pm
post #25 of 48

I'm pretty sure if you bought the big tool caddy filled, that you won't need to buy the individual kits.

Have fun!

Skyebaby Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 10:10pm
post #26 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2spunkynbug

I'm pretty sure if you bought the big tool caddy filled, that you won't need to buy the individual kits.

Have fun!




That's what I'm hoping is the case icon_smile.gif

kates_kakes Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 10:22pm
post #27 of 48

I just finished Course 2 and loved it. Course 1 was great also. Good luck to you and I hope you enjoy it. Will you be taking the other three courses?

cakesgalore6373 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 10:38pm
post #28 of 48

Have fun!!

I took all three courses. My first two were great! My third, not so good.
I had a different instructor, it was in November and she had other engagements for each one of the classes so she ended each class early. I felt really cheated. icon_cry.gif

If you are not happy with your instructor, please report it. I wish I would have.

Happy decorating.

NoNameinNM Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 10:44pm
post #29 of 48

Since you bought the big 101 piece set, you're good to go for Course 1. About the only thing that's not in the big kit that most students also love to have is one of the cake decorating turntables.

Your instructor may also encourage you to purchase meringue powder, and piping gel, plus the clown heads that are used in the third lesson. Some students also prefer the parchment bags but you'll have enough disposable bags from the big kit to get you through Course 1.

She or he will probably show you lots of good "toys" the first night of class, and you will already have most of them in the big blue caddy!

If you go on to the other classes, you'll want to get the specific kits for those classes. Some students with the blue caddy get by in Course 2 without purchasing the kit and just acquiring the extra tips, but I always recommend students get it anyway. If you shop at a store that regularly offers the 40% off coupon, it's worth it for the great little set of pans and the extra tips.

I hope you love your class-- it's so much fun!

NoNameinNM Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 11:03pm
post #30 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesgalore6373

I took all three courses. My first two were great! My third, not so good.
I had a different instructor, it was in November and she had other engagements for each one of the classes so she ended each class early. I felt really cheated. icon_cry.gif

If you are not happy with your instructor, please report it. I wish I would have.




cakesgalore6373-- that makes me so sad to hear of your instructor's behavior! We instructors all know (or SHOULD know) that other activities take a back seat when we have a class in session.

A true emergency may occur on rare occasions, but this doesn't appear to meet that kind of criteria. At the very least, she should have brought in a substitute instructor for the class if she wasn't going to be able to fully cover the material.

This is just not acceptable and she might still be out there doing the same thing-- definitely report it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%