Customer Pick Up...what Would You Do?

Decorating By mama5kiddos Updated 7 Apr 2009 , 11:33pm by mama5kiddos

mama5kiddos Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 7:38pm
post #1 of 13

Me and the customer had it clear that she was going to pick up her wedding cake, today between 11-12 in the afternoon. We wrote back and forth about this, and it was agreed this was the pickup time.

She wrote me an email yesterday evening, asking if she could come pick up the cake at 7am instead. HUH?! Of course I didnt get it in time, and by the time I checked my email, it was too late. So I wrote her back and apologized for not getting it in time, but then asked if she would still be picking it up today at the scheduled time. She wrote me and said "I dont think I can pick it up today. I can get it tomorrow around 11am if this works for you."

I called her and left her a message, that I will not be around tomorrow. I (literally) already had plans, and wont be around. She scheduled the pickup for today, so she can come pick it up today, and give me a call so she can let me know about when she would be here.

What else do I do? She gave me a $50 non refundable deposit, incase of cancellation. Is this considered cancellation if she doesnt come pick her cake up ON the day she scheduled? I am not going to sit around and wait for her tomorrow when we already had plans. This aggrivates me. LOL.

What would you have done?

12 replies
marmalade1687 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 7:55pm
post #2 of 13

I would send an email stating - "as per your previous email, we had agreed on a pickup time of XXX on Apr.3rd. If you are not able to pick up your order at the pre-arranged time, your order will be canceled, and your non-refundable deposit will be retained to cover costs." Good luck!

Deb_ Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 8:09pm
post #3 of 13

OK, first I would never complete a Wedding cake order until I was paid in full. How big of a cake is this that you only took a $50 deposit?

My advice is in the future be sure to get full payment no less then 2 weeks before the actual wedding date.

I'm sure this bride wants her wedding cake, hopefully she's just busy running around doing all the last minute stuff before the wedding.

Do you have any other contact numbers for her? I definitely wouldn't do anything until you talk to her personally. If you're not going to be there tomorrow, I guess she's out of luck since the agreement was she pick-up today. Do you have a contract?

Good luck!

LaBellaFlor Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 8:14pm
post #4 of 13

If she doesn't pick it up per agreed, then yeah, it's a cancellation. But I have a question. If she doesn't pick it up, is all you get is $50? I'm not sure of your policy, but at the least that cake would have been paid in full at least 1 month prior before it was even worked on. If that was my cake, 2 months prior. $50 does not cover cost or time or anything else if she doesn't pick up her cake, it doesn't cover a loss of a full paying customer who you couldn't book, cause you had her slotted for that date. Just some food for thought.

LaBellaFlor Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 8:14pm
post #5 of 13

If she doesn't pick it up per agreed, then yeah, it's a cancellation. But I have a question. If she doesn't pick it up, is all you get is $50? I'm not sure of your policy, but at the least that cake would have been paid in full at least 1 month prior before it was even worked on. If that was my cake, 2 months prior. $50 does not cover cost or time or anything else if she doesn't pick up her cake, it doesn't cover a loss of a full paying customer who you couldn't book, cause you had her slotted for that date. Just some food for thought.

BARBARAJEAN Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 8:37pm
post #6 of 13

This is a wedding cake. I don't think cancellation is an option. The word of mouth could absolutely ruin your business if she did not have a wedding cake and blamed you. There has to be another solution. Could you leave it with a neighbor, or bring it to the venue yourself? Could another family member help out, either yours or hers. I do not blame you for her situation, but you know darn well she will. Think long and hard before you blow her off even though the whole thing is her fault. Good luck.

marmalade1687 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 9:04pm
post #7 of 13

LOL, I didn't even pick up on the full payment in the original post! DO NOT leave it with a neighbor or drop it off at the venue without payment in full, or else you may never see that money!

LaBellaFlor Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 9:09pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalade1687

LOL, I didn't even pick up on the full payment in the original post! DO NOT leave it with a neighbor or drop it off at the venue without payment in full, or else you may never see that money!

I know, right. If she couldn't get to her cake on time, I can only imagine how on time she will be with payment.

indydebi Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 9:33pm
post #9 of 13

There is a fine line between providing great customer service and dealing with pure bullsh*t.

If the alteration shop is open 1-5, then she has to pick up her dress between 1-5 or she won't have a dress for her wedding. There is no option to pick it up at seven freakin' a.m.!

Emailing you the night before she wants to pick it up at 7:00 a.m. is ridiculous! When you didn't respond, did she call you to confirm? DId she show up anyway?

She has no idea what your schedule is. I will work with a client to accomodate some changes because I know things come up, but it doesn't sound like that's what she's doing. It's all about what's convenient for HER. Factoring in any reasonable accommodation you can give her, she can pick up her cake when you are available or she won't have a cake.

If she shows up at the alteration shop at 5:30, she doesn't have a dress. She can whine about how "bad" the seamstress was for not "giving" her the dress .... but the bottom line truth is her own disregard for appointments. Contrary to the walmart world most people live in, not everything is a 24/7 operation.

I had a shower cake once and the shower was on Sunday. They were thinking out loud, saying the shower was at 1:00 so they could pick it up at 11:00. I said, "On Saturday?" They said, "oh no! the shower is Sunday." I said, "I'm not open on Sunday ... what time Saturday do you want to pick it up?" They then expressed concern about it "just sitting out" at their house. I said, "It can sit out on your counter just as easily as it can on mine ... makes no difference to the cake. What time on Saturday?"

mama5kiddos Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 10:09pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

There is a fine line between providing great customer service and dealing with pure bullsh*t.

If the alteration shop is open 1-5, then she has to pick up her dress between 1-5 or she won't have a dress for her wedding. There is no option to pick it up at seven freakin' a.m.!

Emailing you the night before she wants to pick it up at 7:00 a.m. is ridiculous! When you didn't respond, did she call you to confirm? DId she show up anyway?

Exactly! When I didnt respond, she didnt even call me. That is when I figured "this is her loss". If this was truly the ONLY time she could have picked it up today, she should have called me to let me know...and NOT just the night before either. No she didnt show up anyways thankfully!

To answer everyone's question...
I only took $50 deposit on this cake, because it is a very small (2 tier stacked, 10" and 8") simple scrollwork wedding cake. She gave me a week advance notice, and just asked if I could even do it on short notice. The total is only $95, I asked for 50% down ($47.50, which she did pay already) then the rest in cash upon our scheduled pickup time, because I had a fraudulent order thru someone paying online before, and didnt want to risk that.

Update:
I called her cell and left a voicemail, and also emailed her letting her know (since this is how we had been communicating) she needed to pick this cake up TODAY. She wrote back finally and asked if 6-7pm was okay. I told her it would work for me. Hopefully she shows up. LOL

prterrell Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 2:36am
post #11 of 13

Did she ever come get the cake?

Deb_ Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 3:05am
post #12 of 13

Thanks for finding this thread.........I was wondering the same thing.

mama5kiddos Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 11:33pm
post #13 of 13

Thanks everyone for your thoughts!

I called her and told her firmly that she would have to pick it up Friday per our agreement, but only until a reasonable time. I also told her I wouldnt be around Saturday (leaving her no choice if she wanted the cake). She then called back and asked if she could get it about 6pm, I told her that was fine. Funny, she ended up showing up on time to pick it up, when she "couldnt" before for the scheduled pickup.

She loved the cake, and said how nice it was and just what she wanted, and thanked me. It is the "red scrolls" cake in my photos. So overall it was probably just a very busy bride.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%