I Have Finally Had A Cake Crash.

Decorating By BakingGirl Updated 13 Apr 2009 , 6:43pm by jojo76

BakingGirl Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 7:01pm
post #1 of 15

From being a member here for a while and having read all the disaster stories, I was fully expecting to have my own cake disaster at some point. Well, it finally happened. Knowing it would probably happen to me did not make it any less shocking.

I was making a tropical themed birthday cake for our next door neighbour's little girl, like I have done the last few years. We were also invited to the party. I was running a little late getting it all done, so I was feeling a little frazzled which is probably why I made the fatal mistake.

It is the first time I have ever done a cake separated with a block to create a gap to fill with flowers. But from my books it did not seem to hard so I set to work and dowelled the lower tier, extending the dowels to the height of the polystyrene block on top of the lower tier. And that is when I made the mistake. I put the top tier on, glued it on with a bit of Royal - but forgot to drive a dowel all the way through the cakes. I got on with arranging flowers and the Hula girl topper and was feeling pretty pleased with myself.

Before I sent my hubby next door with the kids I asked him to give me a hand photographing the cake. I decided to do it on the patio for the light, my husband opens the door for me and as I go to set down the cake on the table - the top tiers just back flips off, the gumpaste flowers denting the lower tiers in the process, and plops down on the table. We just stood there absolutely stunned for a few seconds before we scrambled into action. The top tier had survived surprisingly well, it had a big dent on one edge but luckily I could move the girl topper to cover that. The biggest problem was the broken gumpaste flowers. I had a few spare and just had to make do with what was left that I could salvage. I did some creative flower arranging, and it worked out in the end.

My husband went across to the party to let them know there had been a slight mishap and that I would be over as soon as I could. Thankfully by the time I got there the cake was almost as good as new.

So I am not a disaster virgin anymore, and now I know to take a photo of the cake before I move it - just in case.

Here it is:

14 replies
SweetSweetCreations Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 7:47pm
post #2 of 15

The cake is so cute you did a wonderful job fixing it.

deeb173 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 7:47pm
post #3 of 15

Well, she looks totally great and you can't tell you had the mishap.

pattycakesnj Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 8:00pm
post #4 of 15

great cake anyway

sari66 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 8:47pm
post #5 of 15

Cute cake

leah_s Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 8:53pm
post #6 of 15

Great save!

Now, can we talk about SPS?

BakingGirl Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 2:24am
post #7 of 15

Yes, leahs - I think it is time to talk SPS. I am spending the next 3 weeks in the US and I am fully intending to do a lot of internet shopping while I am there!

cylstrial Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 12:59pm
post #8 of 15

I think it is adorable!! So cute!!

cakeandpartygirl Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 1:12pm
post #9 of 15

You are so funny!! icon_smile.gif
Baking girl,
you are awesome in being able to save it. I would have had a melt down and not been able to recoupe. The cake looks awesome.

BakingGirl Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 3:51am
post #10 of 15

cakeandpartygirl, you know, I would have thought I would have had a melt down, but when it came down to it I was actually calm and collected. But when I got to the party I totally got the shakes, so I guess I had a bit of a delayed melt down.

Franluvsfrosting Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 4:50am
post #11 of 15

You did a great job of fixing it! Super cute!

DebBTX Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 4:39am
post #12 of 15

You did a fantastic job on your cake. It looks great.

-Debbie B.

het_bonte_taartje Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 10:08am
post #13 of 15

Great job fixing it!! thumbs_up.gif

bakingatthebeach Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 10:45pm
post #14 of 15

Very pretty. I fretted about my "cake disaster" for a year, this week the bride called and wants a baby shower cake, same flavor and filling as her wedding cake. Now I feel a little better.

jojo76 Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 6:43pm
post #15 of 15

oh well done! It looks lovely, well done on being so fab and fixing it so calmly, another one here who thinks she would have a total flip out in this situation!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%