Sugar Egg Type Molding....help Please....

Decorating By tinygoose Updated 3 Apr 2009 , 11:41pm by kakeladi

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 6:03pm
post #1 of 2

Ok, I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I'm guessing it may be the consistancy of my wet sugar?? I making sort of large sugar mold vases (was trying for about 6 " tall). Maybe you can't make large sugar vases? I mean I've never seen any.

I've tried using flower pots (they stuck, probably because the clay pot absorbs moisture?) anyway moved onto my ball pan, better but still stuck some. My half circle looks like the moon with all the craters in it. I dusted with cornstarch.

Maybe my sugar is just too wet? How do you know if it is too wet, or not wet enough?? I'm I not packing it hard enough? Ohhh help please...I am going through sugar at an alarming rate. I know it should be like wet sand, but there are varing degrees of wet sand too, and I was never very good at sand castles either. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Does anyone have any tips out there??

1 reply
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 11:41pm
post #2 of 2

......... my sugar...too wet? How do you know...? I'm I not packing it hard enough? Ohhh help please..........

Well I see this is quite a while after the fact ..... but just in case you are still having problems here's some tips for you.

It does sound like your sugar is too wet if it is sticking in ball pan. Add more sugar to dry it some.
It is just right when you take a palmfull; squeeze it, then open your hand, and bounce the lump around some. If it holds together w/o leaving wet excess on your hand it's righticon_smile.gif If it comes apart add more *drops* of water.
It also sounds like you are not packing it tight enough. Put about 1 cup of sugar in the pan, pack it w/the back of a spoon and keep adding more sugar & packing it down until it is filled; turn out right away onto a stiff piece of cardboard.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%