How Do I Make This Cake?

Decorating By LoriMc Updated 3 Apr 2009 , 10:35pm by RobzC8kz

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 4:43pm
post #1 of 14

Someone has asked me to replicate this cake. Is the cupcake on top a special pan, or can it be made otherwise? Anybody know???

Thanks!

icon_razz.gif
LL

13 replies
Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 4:54pm
post #2 of 14

I've never seen a cupcake mold that big. But, can you maybe mold it out of rice krispies treats and cover with fondant? or maybe put 3 little cupcakes togheter and again cover with fondant?

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 4:54pm
post #3 of 14

It looks like the cupcake cake pan that wilton makes.

Caralinc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caralinc Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 4:59pm
post #4 of 14

Just a thought here - maybe use 3 or 4 layers of a 6 in pan? and then build up the frosting top?? I know Wilton has a cupcake shape pan but I think it is much larger than this and shapped differently. It looks like the sides of the cupcake is maybe BC stripped down the sides to make the affect of the cupcake look??? It is a very cute/fun cake. Let us know how it turns out and what you end up doing.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 4:59pm
post #5 of 14

I'm gonna guess a 4" round pan with a small half sports ball on top, decorated. The Wilton cupcake pan is waaay bigger than that looks to be. Unless those two tiers are actually huge.

rocky5777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rocky5777 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 4:59pm
post #6 of 14

Wilton has the cupcake pan out .
icon_biggrin.gif

poohthebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohthebear Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 5:00pm
post #7 of 14

Personally I think it was from 4" cakes and maybe the top was a small doll pan. Don't have that size? Use the smallest pan you have bake the cakes and cut 'em down. Sculpt, little artist, sculpt. LOL icon_biggrin.gif

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 5:01pm
post #8 of 14

Wilton makes a giant cupcake pan, although that cake in particular doesn't look like it was made from that. It's a very simple cake to make, as they mentioned above.

rocky5777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rocky5777 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 5:03pm
post #9 of 14

I should be more specific. Wilton has a Large Cupake pan out that is the size of a regular cake. They also came out with a Cupcake pan with the same to piece design as the larger one. it makes 4 cupcakes I believe. It it much then a regular cupcake pan and smaller then the full size pan. It is called
Dimensions® Multi-Cavity Mini Cupcakes Pan

lindambc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindambc Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 5:05pm
post #10 of 14

Wilton also has another cupcake pan out, it was released when the Giant Cupcake pan was. It has 8 cavities and makes 4 large cupcakes. Smaller then the Giant Cupcake larger then standard ones.

HTH

Here is the link to it:
http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=934954ED-423B-522D-F0F7000C16FC74FC&fid=9D398CD0-423B-522D-FB169F3A4A366A7C

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 5:11pm
post #11 of 14

The cupcake on top is going to be the baby's smash cake. The wilton pan sounds really big! I'm thinking too big for a baby.

So there is a similar one that is mini size? I need to check into that, or just make something on my own.

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 5:21pm
post #12 of 14

The smaller Wilton cupcake pan would work (the one mentioned above with 8 cavaties). I think also you could carve down a couple of small layers and top with a cake made from the mini wonder mold pan. Even without the mold, you could easily carve this one I think.

momade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momade Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 6:28pm
post #13 of 14

You could also just use the jumbo cupcake pan. I use this size all the time for my cupcakes and i think it looks about the size of that cupcake on top. It would also be a perfect size for a smash cake. HTH

You can check out my gallery which shows my Christmas Army Snowman Cupcakes in jumbo sized cupcakes. I didn't fill these cups as high as normal because I wanted the tops flat for my toppers. But, to make a true jumbo cupcake, you'd fill it 2/3rd like a regular cupcake and you'd wind up with a really full top. Just ad plenty of icing like your picture showed. It really is a huge cupcake, just like the one in your picture. HTH

RobzC8kz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobzC8kz Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 10:35pm
post #14 of 14

I have made quite a few "giant cupcakes" before and I've never used the Wilton pan. I dunno...maybe it's just my intense desire to never use anything Wilton unless I truely have to, but I just stack up the cakes and carve out the cupcake by hand. I use fondant for the "paper" cup and then use BC for the top! You can make it any size you need. I've used 10" rounds all the way down to 4" rounds.

Good luck!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%