Fondant

Baking By kori_parker Updated 23 Apr 2009 , 3:44pm by LadyD1625

kori_parker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kori_parker Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 2:58pm
post #1 of 9

okay so my budget is really tight but i would really like to do a cake with fondant. Is there a simple, cheap recipe for fondant out there anywhere?

8 replies
rushing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rushing Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 3:10pm
post #2 of 9

Search for marshmallow fondant, or MMF. Can't get cheaper than that

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 3:19pm
post #3 of 9

Michel Foster's recipe on this site is very good and easy to work with. I personally don't care for MMF but that's JMO.

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 3:20pm
post #4 of 9

Marshmallow fondant is cheap and easy to make. A batch is about $5.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 3:30pm
post #5 of 9

I LOVE Michelle Foster's fondant (just trying to figure out now what to do with all those bags of marshmallows I have from when I used to make MMF).

rushing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rushing Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 3:42pm
post #6 of 9

I agree that MMF isn't the best, but for $3 a batch (or $5, depending on where you live), it's a cheaper alternative.

sweetopia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetopia Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 4:17pm
post #7 of 9

I agree! The only thing I don't like marshmallow fondant for is when I'm using it with small flower cutters... I find it sticks a bit more.. but it still does work in a pinch!

kori_parker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kori_parker Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 4:16pm
post #8 of 9

thank you all so much. i'll try it!

LadyD1625 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyD1625 Posted 23 Apr 2009 , 3:44pm
post #9 of 9

One large bag of marshmallows, one 2lb bag of HIGH QUALITY conf. sugar, 1/2 cup Crisco, and a little water (depends on the humidity of the day but I usually only need 1T.)

Melt the marshmallows and water for about a minute in a well greased bowl. Make a well of the sugar on a well greased board! I use gloves, grease your hands well! Dump the marshmallow mixture into the flour. Adding the coloring now makes it much easier to color! Begin kneading. Add grease to your hands as needed but you'll need just about all of the Crisco. Keep kneading until it gets to a bread dough like consistency. You may not need all the sugar. Preserve in a well greased piece of plastic wrap for about 24 hours to allow sugar to completely dissolve!

Note: If you don't use a high quality sugar, it will be lumpy! Even if you sift it! Trust me!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%