Problem With Smothing My Buttercream

Decorating By jgrob3 Updated 3 Apr 2009 , 10:34pm by MessiET

jgrob3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgrob3 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 2:58pm
post #1 of 12

I have been using this recipe for my buttercream
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2075-Crusting-Buttercream-Icing-VIVA-Method.html

The problem .....
I let is sit for 15 min or so....touch to make sure it is ready to smooth. i have been using wax paper to smooth because I keep forgetting the darn VIVA towels at the store! So it seems to be working ok to start with then it starts to stick a bit to the wax paper. Almost like it is getting to warm from the work? Greasy?
I have treid to leave it for awhile after that happens but when I go back to it it continues.

I am frustrated because the first few times I used this recipe I got beautiful results!

I know I am doing something wrong or missing something......

Thanks!

11 replies
daisyj3844 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisyj3844 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 3:05pm
post #2 of 12

I too have had trouble when I use wax paper. I think the heat from your hands may transfer through the paper causing the icing to "melt" just enough to stick to the paper. I find that the paper towel method works best for me. I have also had good results with parchment paper but it is a bit harder to work with because it is not as flexible as paper towels. I have used any brand of paper towel....just depends on what texture you want on the cake. Good luck!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 3:17pm
post #3 of 12

You could also try the Melvira method found in the article section on the front page of this site. It's done with a high density roller and it works very well with crusting BC. I've found indydebi's recipe on this site to be the best.

cookinqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookinqueen Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 3:20pm
post #4 of 12

I first start with the Melvira method then go over it with a Viva paper towel and a fondant smoother. I could NOT live with our my Viva paper towel and fondant smoother!!!

DyMakesCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DyMakesCake Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 3:27pm
post #5 of 12

I did the Viva method for the first time last night and I am SOLD!!! I loved it. I have struggled forever to get smooth BC, I don't think I'll ever go back to "Well that's the smoothest I can get".

The Vivas are $2.50 here where I live, so as long as I can get DH to not use them they should last me awhile.

FlossieJo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlossieJo Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 3:33pm
post #6 of 12

I hide my Viva under the cabinet! icon_biggrin.gif

babybundt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babybundt Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 3:34pm
post #7 of 12

i use the viva method also. i hide the viva paper towels so my family doesn't use them.........

jgrob3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgrob3 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 3:57pm
post #8 of 12

Thanks so much! I am going shopping tonight...VIVA is on the list this time. I might try the paintroller too.

Can humidity have anything to do with it? We have been getting a lot of rain lately.

SUELA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUELA Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 4:13pm
post #9 of 12

Are you adding the meringue powder to it as well as that is indicated for higer humidity areas.

The weather can affect icings, and drying times. The other thing you could try, is increase the amount of shortening as butter melts quicker.

azeboi2005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azeboi2005 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 4:14pm
post #10 of 12

i would definately give the viva towel and fondant smoother method a go...i love it! i use sugar shack's buttercream recipe and love it...that along with this method for smoothing is the best. give it a go you won't regret it. i must admit when i get lazy i just use my roller (melvira method), but mostly the viva and smoother.

chris

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 6:28pm
post #11 of 12

I find that if my icing is a bit too stiff it will start lifting off the cake when I am smoothing. Maybe you just need to add a teeny tiny bit more liquid to it. Humidity varies so the same recipe may come out differently depending what kind of day it is.

MessiET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessiET Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 10:34pm
post #12 of 12

You might try making your icing a bit stiffer than what you are using. It makes a big difference. You should watch tonedna's videos on you tube. She has one where she makes her buttercream and another showing how to ice the cakes. I was making my buttercream too soft and had to let the cake sit for a while before using the paper towels. Now that I leave it a little stiffer, then I can use the paper towel right away. I was surprised at that. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%