How Much Batter And How Long Can Batter Sit In A Pan?

Decorating By berryblondeboys Updated 3 Apr 2009 , 2:01pm by berryblondeboys

berryblondeboys Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 1:23pm
post #1 of 5

I have a wedding cake to make and have never done a back to back to back baking before - well, I did eons ago, but just kept making new batter for each tier.

So... I have a 14" cake, a 10" cake and a 6" cake. The 14 and 6 are the same butter cake, the middle is a carrot cake.

First, I need to know how much batter in the 14" (and 6", but that one I can figure out easier).

Then, since I have a huge mixer, (dlx2000) can I mix all the batter for the yellow cakes, bake the smaller or bigger one and have the other waiting on the counter? And if so HOW long can I do that? or is it better to mix them separately to not risk it?

Thanks! I'm baking today, so I need help like NOW.

4 replies
kakeladi Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 1:35pm
post #2 of 5

Yes you can mix all the batter up at once. Will you oven hold both the 14 and 6 at the same time? One can certainly bake them together if the oven is big enough.
As for how much batter......a round uses 1 & 1/2 boxed cake mixes and the 6 uses 1/2. Each pan should be filled w/batter 2/3rds full - about 1 1/2" up the side of the pan.
Batter can sit in the pan while one cake bakes.....probably better if you put it in the fzr (cover pan w/foil or plastic wrap) but I have had them on the counter for up to 1 hour (I think - never timed it - LOL)

berryblondeboys Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 1:51pm
post #3 of 5

I should have said that they are square cakes that are 3" deep. I believe the 6 inch is about 3/4s a standard recipe? and the 14"???

cubic inches for the 6" is 108
cubic inches for the 14" is 588

I'm also making a 10" square 3" tall and I know that one uses a shade under 2 recipes. and:

cubic inches for the 10" is: 300

so FOUR ??? or THREE???? or 3.5??? batches (maybe I should make the small one first... use the spare (if any) batter of the cake for the 14" and then make 3 recipes? (I do scratch only - no mixes).

So confused!

kakeladi Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 1:56pm
post #4 of 5

Sorry - I can't help you on sqs 3" deep. Never used them.
It would be purely a guess the same as you have already figured.
Each scratch recipe makes a different amount of batter so I can't see how you could figure it. You would have to go on how much the recipe made before.

berryblondeboys Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 2:01pm
post #5 of 5

thanks for the help - the recipe makes a full 8" double pans. (not skimpy short).

I think I'm going to make 2 recipe batches (that's how much my small bowl of the mixer can hold) , bake the small cake, and then use the 1 and some from the first bathes and then make another double batch to fill the 14"... that would be 3 and some.... Which is probably too little... UGH...

Well, I'll do that and if I find I need another batch, I'll whip it up quick and use the leftover batter for family cake - which they always enjoy! LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%