Making A Fondant Cross-Help

Decorating By shellycakes123 Updated 4 Apr 2009 , 11:32pm by mom2owen1

shellycakes123 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 12:51pm
post #1 of 4

So far ive only covered round cakes with fondant...A
ny help with covering a cross??? Im using the wilton pan.
How big do I roll the fondant???? Would love some tips!!!!
Thanks so much!!!

3 replies
kakeladi Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 1:41pm
post #2 of 4

Measure how long the cross is then add 4-5"; same w/the with of the cross arms. That's how big you have to roll the fondant.
I prefer to roll out fondant on a big sheet of heavy plastic. Once I have the size I need, loosen the fondant to be sure it's not sticking to the plastic, then pick up the plastic w/fondant on it and turn it over onto the cake I'm covering. The fondant will peel off the plastic - sometimes needs a bit of coaxing icon_smile.gif

With a cross there will be lots of excess fondant to cut off. Work quickly icon_smile.gif

shellycakes123 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 1:59pm
post #3 of 4

so does anyone know how many pounds of fondant I might need?

mom2owen1 Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 11:32pm
post #4 of 4

my first fondant cake was the wilton cross. i think it was just as easy, if not easier, then a round. less flattening/stretching.

while i use satin ice in a big bucket now, then i was using wilton. if i remember correctly, i rolled out less then a box of wilton fondant.

in my best guestimation, it would take a pound to roll out that size. i hope others answer this though, cause i am not very good at guessing things like amount, distance, age, etc.

go for it, you will do fine! especially since you already have some fondant work under your belt.

kris

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%