Your Opinions About The Sugar Gun!

Decorating By KieslerKakes Updated 4 Apr 2009 , 12:28am by Niliquely

KieslerKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KieslerKakes Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 12:20pm
post #1 of 25

I'm thinking about purchasing a Sugar Gun and wondered if anyone else has one and what they think about them.

24 replies
springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 12:30pm
post #2 of 25

I love mine and it is one of my favorite things! I wish it would hold more fondant though. If you like to decorate with fondant, I think it is amust have.

KieslerKakes Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 12:34pm
post #3 of 25

I get alot of requests for BC icing but fondant strips and various decorations. I have a birthday in July and thought this would be a good present from my husband. Thanks

SHogg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHogg Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 12:35pm
post #4 of 25

I just used mine for the first time 2 weeks ago to make a 3-D baby carriage. The sugar gun is wonderful. I also wish that is held more fondant. I could never get long fondant ropes that thin and even by using my hands. I really like it.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 1:18pm
post #5 of 25

For strips I would actually use the FMM ribbon cutter (unless you want them really, really thin. But for ropes and things the gun is wonderful!

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 1:59pm
post #6 of 25

Hi, this is the one that I've got,

http://countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?T=1&productId=630263

but there is another one. Sorry I can't remember the name. I use lot of shortening kneaded into the fondant and it make lot easier to extrude.

I mainly use it to do the borders on my cakes and to do the hair on my models.

icon_smile.gif

KieslerKakes Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 2:11pm
post #7 of 25

Thanks to everyone for the comments.

pianocat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 2:12pm
post #8 of 25

The one that bashini mentions is also available (cheaper) through our own Sugarshack. She uses it with her new DVD. Check out Sugaredproductions.com.

JillK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JillK Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 2:26pm
post #9 of 25

I dimly remember some discussion of a different extruder people had purchased through Hobby Lobby and liked very much.

Does anyone have more information on that one and how it compares?

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 2:37pm
post #10 of 25

I also have the one that Sharon (Sugarshack uses), I love mine. I just rub a very little bit shortening on the in side of the tube, and it makes it so much easier to press out.

Yeap pianocat , if not for Sharon showing some of the ways she did things with it in her Boxes & Bows DVD, I would have done a lot of things the hard way when using the gun icon_lol.gif

The gun has help me alot when making things for my cakes or fondant pieces. I would also have to give credit to Sharon/DVD for showing me how to use in other ways, that would help to make it easier and faster for me thumbs_up.gif

God Bless,
Sharon

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 3:55pm
post #11 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by JillK

I dimly remember some discussion of a different extruder people had purchased through Hobby Lobby and liked very much.

Does anyone have more information on that one and how it compares?

I think this the other one that some decorators use,

http://countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?T=1&productId=625798

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 6:36pm
post #12 of 25

This one is very popular and can be found at Michael's.

http://www.makinsclay.com/US/eng/products/ultimate.htm

KieslerKakes Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 7:04pm
post #13 of 25

Thanks Pastryjen.

Susans53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susans53 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 7:20pm
post #14 of 25

I have the red one and it is fantastic!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 8:45pm
post #15 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastryjen

This one is very popular and can be found at Michael's.

http://www.makinsclay.com/US/eng/products/ultimate.htm

I have the Sugar Gun (red & black)---HATE IT!!!! Just doesn't hold enough product to make it worthwhile. Hard on the palm of your hand, etc. Now sits in the bottom of my toolbox and NEVER gets used.

I have the Makins Ultimate Clay Extruder (shiny light GREEN textured metal barrel with twist "T" handle)---LOVE IT!!!! Holds lots of fondant. Easy on the hands. Lots of disks for many shapes. CHEAP--less than half the cost of the Sugar Gun. I use it for everything!

Don't ever bother buying the push extruders, either the silver one pictured above or the green plastic cheapo by Makins--nothing but money wasted.

HTH
Rae

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 8:54pm
post #16 of 25

i have the red and black one.. love it.. but would also like to have the ultimate makins one as blakescakes suggests..

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 10:00pm
post #17 of 25

I have the red and black and obviously love it for these reasons:

1) I love the disc set that comes it ( more than makins one)
2) I find it easy to extrude and does not hurt my hand at all
3) I can apply strings and things directly onto the cake because i can hold the gun and squeeze with one hand and have the other hand guide where the string will fall. Can't do that with Makins cuz u need 2 hands screw the string out

I have the Makins one also and use it but not as much but I like:
1) it holds more fondant
2) gives a tiny bit cleaner output of the strings at times

FeGe_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FeGe_Cakes Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 11:45pm
post #18 of 25

I have the Makins Green extruder. Sometimes when I use it, my fondant ropes are feathered (tiny tears in my fondant all around).

What am I doing wrong? Is fondant to dry..should i grease the inside of my tube...is my fondant to sticky?

Niliquely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niliquely Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 11:54pm
post #19 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeGe_Cakes

I have the Makins Green extruder. Sometimes when I use it, my fondant ropes are feathered (tiny tears in my fondant all around).

What am I doing wrong? Is fondant to dry..should i grease the inside of my tube...is my fondant to sticky?

This happens to me too! And I'm embarrassed to admit that I seem to have lost the rubber washer when I was washing it and now it doesn't work so good... icon_cry.gif And I really need it to do tassels on a graduation cake in May...

FeGe_Cakes Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 12:01am
post #20 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niliquely

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeGe_Cakes

This happens to me too! And I'm embarrassed to admit that I seem to have lost the rubber washer when I was washing it and now it doesn't work so good... icon_cry.gif And I really need it to do tassels on a graduation cake in May...

Do you still have the kit of all the different disk? Mine had an extra rubber washer. Hopefully a SUPER BAKER will come to our rescue.

Niliquely Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 12:06am
post #21 of 25

My gun is black and red...my mom bought it for me for Christmas... I don't have an extra washer! My husband says I should try the hardware store...he always says if they don't have it, I don't need it!

FeGe_Cakes Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 12:14am
post #22 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niliquely

My gun is black and red...my mom bought it for me for Christmas... I don't have an extra washer! My husband says I should try the hardware store...he always says if they don't have it, I don't need it!

Oops sorry. I thought you had the Makins extruder.

sugarshack Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 12:21am
post #23 of 25

my red and black one does not have a washer....?????

sugarshack Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 12:23am
post #24 of 25

feathered ropes means fondant is drying out. add a little crisco and if it still does it you have to pitch that bit of fondant ( at least not use for gun)

Niliquely Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 12:28am
post #25 of 25

I don't know where Mom got it... I just told her what I wanted and she got it. It has a whitish colored pusher thingy...I don't know, maybe I was delirious??? I know right now I am operating on little sleep because of calving and my brain is fuzzy...but I seem to remember a washer....I must've dreamed it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%