Bridezilla Encounters?

Business By SandraVB79 Updated 13 Apr 2009 , 1:06am by kellertur

SandraVB79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraVB79 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 11:49am
post #1 of 32

Hello everyone!

I have seen quite some Bridezilla shows and sometimes you have this Bridezilla giving her cake lady such a bad time, that I was like "I would SO smack that cake in your face, Miss Bride", lol.
Did you encounter any Bridezillas yet? How was it? How did you deal with it?

31 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 12:08pm
post #2 of 32

I can't say I've ever had a Bridezilla .... had a momzilla but it turned out to be a step-family situation and this mom was never involved in the planning, had never given me a check, but spent 3 days bit*hing at me via email! The step-mom emailed me and apologized for this other mom's behavior and told me "the bride would be devastated if she knew you were being talked to like that!"

Had a dadzilla who was ticked because I didn't tear down tables and clean the reception facility. Even after I explained that I don't do that, it's not part of our service, it continued to rant and rave about how he was "stuck" doing my job for me!

who cares .... who's next?

spunkybear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spunkybear Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 12:20pm
post #3 of 32

Don't have any wild stories, but should that dreaded day every arise, darn skippy I will be calling Indydebi to take 'em on for me!!! When I grow up (it will be a while, I'm only 44) I wish to have a back bone just like her!!! thumbs_up.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 12:29pm
post #4 of 32

No, I've never had a "bridezilla" incident either. I don't live in a big city, people around here are pretty laid back.

Having said that though, a few days ago I was flipping channels and came across that "Bridezilla" show. It really made me sick to my stomach to see the behavior of this particular bride.
She was HATEFUL to her Mom and bridesmaids, called one of them "fat" bought her a new bigger size gown, and really hurt the girls feelings. It was unwatchable in my opinion.

After watching about 15 minutes of it, I wondered how much of that show is real and how much is acting. icon_rolleyes.gif I guess I'd like to believe it's acting because I just can't imagine a person being that self absorbed.

I don't think I'll ever have a bridezilla......because at the first meeting I can usually tell what kind of personality the bride and groom has. If I ever sense that we wouldn't get along well, I won't take the order.

I'm not in this business for stress.

cfao Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cfao Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 12:52pm
post #5 of 32

I get 1 or 2 a year that are real "gems" to work with and when you speak to the hall and other vendors, they have all had the same experience. What's funny is they are hardly ever the large high end over-the-top weddings, it's the one's that are having only 20-50 guests and truly think they are a princess bride.

SandraVB79 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 12:57pm
post #6 of 32

I have seen two episodes where the Bridezillas gave the cake people a really hard time.

One was where a bride dragged a groom with her to taste/ order the cake. While he hated red velvet cake, she forced him to taste it, ordered each and every single tier red velvet and just didn't stop yelling at him IN THE CAKE SHOP!

I felt so bad for groom + cake shop owner.

Other episode, this bride goes to order cake, has her sister with her (Miss Texas?). Bride is so nasty to cake lady, I felt so sorry for her. She made rude remarks because the different cakes touched each other on her plate and didn't want to try it that way. Also, they were from Dallas and went out to the "country" to get cheaper cake, and she kept on making remarks that each and every single design from the cake lady was old fashioned and ugly, and that that was what you get for goin to the country icon_sad.gif
Oh, she also wanted a hoo-ha as a groom's cake and cake lady refused to take that order. Bride's sister was shocked by the idea, especially since there were going to be kids at the wedding.

I always wonder how people can be so horrible and how on earth they end up engaged? How can you fall in love with such a monster???

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 1:13pm
post #7 of 32

And can you just imagine living the rest of your life with someone like that? Life is too short to be miserable....

indydebi Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 1:14pm
post #8 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

I don't think I'll ever have a bridezilla......because at the first meeting I can usually tell what kind of personality the bride and groom has. If I ever sense that we wouldn't get along well, I won't take the order.

Oh that DID remind me of one ... she "works in the food industry, too" (she ordered food for a school cafeteria icon_confused.gif ) and was constantly making remarks about "oh I can look up your price at my office" until I finally told her "No, you really can't. Because our mutual supplier gives schools SUCH a low price, they have to gouge the rest of us to make up for it."

She also requested, prior to the sampling appt, to taste 4-5 meats, 3-4 veggies "....and some fresh fruit" (oh come on! I KNOW you've eaten a strawberry before!). I emailed her and said it was not possible to make all of those dishes .... I can't buy a case of 48 boneless pork chops so she can sample ONE freebie ... I'm not a restaurant and can't sell the other 47 thru the dining room.

Her quote got "lost in the cyber black hole". I am not going to offer to work with someone who has this kind of attitude up front.

It's funny that they think they are interviewing US for their wedding .... without realizing that we are also scrutinizing THEM to see if we are willing to work with them.

Just because you give me money, doesn't mean I've prostituted myself to have to take anything you're dishing out.

Had another bride some years ago who wanted the moon and the sky for only $25/person. ONE of the ten cheeses she requested had a cost of $7.50 per person MY COST! And she wanted appetizers, cheese/meat table, dinner, wedding cake, drinks, chocolate fountain for $25/person. She was expecting a quote for around $4000. I quoted her $12,000 and THANK GOD she went elsewhere!

The 2nd one wasn't so much a 'zilla as she was uninformed.

tcakes65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcakes65 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 1:20pm
post #9 of 32

The "Bridezilla" show is somewhat of a setup. I had a bride come in for a consultation that is getting married in October. She wanted to book with us, and after we went through the tasting and details, she decided to tell us that she was selected to be on the Bridezilla show. This girl was very sweet and one of the easiest brides I've worked with. She told us to be prepared for her and a camera crew to come in closer to her wedding date to get some footage. icon_eek.gif Apparently she was going to make up something to complain about even though no problems existed. She also told us that she was getting paid to do the show, and they were paying for part of her wedding expenses. We decided not to be a part of it. It may be good entertainment, but not at our expense. icon_lol.gif

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 1:49pm
post #10 of 32

Had a "momzilla" who is actually my distant cousin. CLAIMS she is a caterer....asks my cousin to cater the wedding for her. My cousin asks me to help, which I did because I LOVE this cousin and we always have the absolute BEST time cooking/baking together.

Anyway, BAD cousin calls and apparently her cake decorator has bailed on her (SMART WOMAN!) with the excuse that her kitchen remodeling will not be complete. Can I do the cake? Well, I was actually considering it until THIS happens.

BC "Do you know how to do fondant?" ME "Yes, I've worked with fondant and gumpaste before but if I don't think I can do the design I'll tell you up front." BC "Are you SURE you know about fondant, because I do cakes and I know how hard it is to work with fondant and we want this cake to be perfect." ME "You know, I've already promised GOOD COUSIN that I'll help her and I don't think I can overwhelm myself like that. Good Luck!" She called me 2 weeks later and offered to pay DOUBLE for the cake if I'd do it! NOPE! I'm nobody's fool.

At the reception since she wanted to be in TOTAL CONTROL and didn't have a director everyone ate their food (which was AWESOME by the way! LOL) and then proceeded to get too drunk to eat the cake. I didn't get word to cut the cake until after 1/2 the guests had left so only about 10 pieces of 250 got eaten. The cake tasted good (which is VERY important to me) but didn't look good AT ALL! I would feel sorry for the situation except that they got themselves into it so I didn't feel badly at all about boxing up all that cake for them to take home with them.

Oh Yeah....and BAD COUSIN hasn't spoken to me or GOOD COUSIN since. YEA!

Beth in KY

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 1:51pm
post #11 of 32

Had a "momzilla" who is actually my distant cousin. CLAIMS she is a caterer....asks my cousin to cater the wedding for her. My cousin asks me to help, which I did because I LOVE this cousin and we always have the absolute BEST time cooking/baking together.

Anyway, BAD cousin calls and apparently her cake decorator has bailed on her (SMART WOMAN!) with the excuse that her kitchen remodeling will not be complete. Can I do the cake? Well, I was actually considering it until THIS happens.

BC "Do you know how to do fondant?" ME "Yes, I've worked with fondant and gumpaste before but if I don't think I can do the design I'll tell you up front." BC "Are you SURE you know about fondant, because I do cakes and I know how hard it is to work with fondant and we want this cake to be perfect." ME "You know, I've already promised GOOD COUSIN that I'll help her and I don't think I can overwhelm myself like that. Good Luck!" She called me 2 weeks later and offered to pay DOUBLE for the cake if I'd do it! NOPE! I'm nobody's fool.

At the reception since she wanted to be in TOTAL CONTROL and didn't have a director everyone ate their food (which was AWESOME by the way! LOL) and then proceeded to get too drunk to eat the cake. I didn't get word to cut the cake until after 1/2 the guests had left so only about 10 pieces of 250 got eaten. The cake tasted good (which is VERY important to me) but didn't look good AT ALL! I would feel sorry for the situation except that they got themselves into it so I didn't feel badly at all about boxing up all that cake for them to take home with them.

Oh Yeah....and BAD COUSIN hasn't spoken to me or GOOD COUSIN since. YEA!

Beth in KY

BARBARAJEAN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BARBARAJEAN Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 2:20pm
post #12 of 32

I have had one zilla. She got my name from a real good customer of mine. She came for a consultation and wanted me to make a 6" taster cake for her. She wanted chocolate with Baileys filling and IMBC. She thought the filling should have more "booze" and the frosting tasted like butter.......well no kidding, its IMBC. I had used flavoring instead of booze so she may have had a point there. Then she wanted a 6" chocolate with nutella filling and regular BC. I asked her to pay for that one. This too did not meet her standards, and she called to let me know that. Then I did not hear from her again....I am happy because I did not like anything about her and I did not want to be unkind to her because my good customer sent her. There was no contract, but she had selected a design she liked from my books.......NO CONTRACT.......remember that part. Then I took another wedding cake for the date she had selected, because NO CONTRACT. 2 weeks before the wedding day, she calls to check on her cake......what cake, we have no contract. She then begins to cry on the phone apparently no one wanted to do her cake. I wonder why. Then I do the thing that I do not want any of you to do. I tell her I will do her cake...I know I can't believe it either. My husband can not believe it either. What a mess, I just remember my poor husband sitting with a tweezer putting small royal icing sweet peas on to all 7 of her cakes. Yes it was a 3 tier, plus 4 satellite cakes. My patience was at the breaking point and we were setting up as the guests were arriving......Oh then I had forgotten something at home and had to go after it. Oh God I hope the hubby does not read this cuz he will probably be disgusted with me all over again. I was paid well...or at least well enough, but what a nightmare. Lots of the worst parts were my own fault. Good lesson learned.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 2:43pm
post #13 of 32

I had a groomzilla last weekend for a tasting appointment. Called at least 5 times prior to the appointment. Stayed back a half minute after the tasting was over to ask if he cold take a picture of a dummy cake I had on display.

"No."

He wants to know EXACTLY what his cake (not "our cake"-- his cake -- and no it's not the groom's cake) will look like. This is one of those where if one curlicue is out of place, I'll get yelled at. He was overbearing, demanding and quite controlling. I truly feel so sorry for the bride.

Now I used to teach insurance salespeople selling techniques. I KNOW that you end every sales call with a request for the order. And here's how that consultation ended.

"Well here's your estimate. Thanks and best wishes on your wedding. Here are your samples for you to enjoy later. Bye."

I had given them several biz cards for other vendors and I immediately emailed those vendor friends, apologized for giving out their names and warned them to avoid this couple. And then went to my website and blocked out their date as "No availability."

So far I haven't heard back from them. ::does happy dance.::

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 2:53pm
post #14 of 32

........After watching about 15 minutes of it, I wondered how much of that show is real and how much is acting. I guess I'd like to believe it's acting.......

Oh I too have figured it MUST be acting. Of course they are paid to do the show. You don't think they would do it for nothing do you? icon_smile.gif

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 8:45pm
post #15 of 32

I think alot of it is put on...I had a bride that was supposed to be on Bridezilla (I told about it several weeks ago on a thread.)

She called me recently all upset because after she had sent them two trial run videos, they decided not to use her. I guess she wasn't rude enough.

I asked her what she would get for doing this and she said she would get a trip. Some places were also giving her "deals" because they would be on TV.

So I am sure the other folks on the shows realize the bride is just putting it on for the cameras. It is quite disgusting how bizarrely rude the brides can get!

SandraVB79 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 9:04pm
post #16 of 32

I hope they get good deals then, because they really don't portrait themselves in their best ways..

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 9:05pm
post #17 of 32

I have not had any bridezilla's ,but i have had a Godmumzilla,she came to pick up a cake and complained the next day after it's all been eaten that she did not like the cake and it was too expensive.She was looking for a refund,it was a 10" cake that i did for £40,this same cake was £55 at the local bakery.She didn't get more than a "i'm sorry" from me.

miss-tiff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss-tiff Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 11:10pm
post #18 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraVB79

I hope they get good deals then, because they really don't portrait themselves in their best ways..

I guess if you're willing to turn your wedding day into a complete mockery, all for a couple of bucks, then go right ahead! But I don't want to watch it!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 11:34pm
post #19 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

She also requested, prior to the sampling appt, to taste 4-5 meats, 3-4 veggies "....and some fresh fruit" (oh come on! I KNOW you've eaten a strawberry before!). I emailed her and said it was not possible to make all of those dishes .... I can't buy a case of 48 boneless pork chops so she can sample ONE freebie ... I'm not a restaurant and can't sell the other 47 thru the dining room.

Oh, Debi, that one must have watched Disney Fantasy Weddings on WE Network entirely too many times! icon_lol.gif

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 11:45pm
post #20 of 32

I have not had a bridezilla at all yet. So far all my brides have been wonderful to work with and I am so thankful for that. Usually when we have our consultation I get a vibe from the bride and if she is going to order from me or not. So far I have been right most of the time.

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 12:06am
post #21 of 32

Confession time icon_lol.gif
I got married 2 years ago, way before I started into cakes. I had a wedding planner, and met a cake lady that my husband and I really liked. So we sign a contract 7 months before the wedding(she's very popular in the place we lived). So a month before the big day, we meet with her again to go over what flavor, what design, etc. I pick my design from her photo album, but the cake had real flowers. I said I HATE real flowers on cake, so I want edible ones...same look(daisies and something else..I don't remember) but NOT REAL. She says ok, but that's an extra such and such dollars. We said fine with us. So we meet up with her again a few days before the wedding, to pay the balance and make sure everything is on schedule. She has REAL flowers going on my cake. I don't think so. we got in an arguement, and I tried to be as nice as possible. She was adamant that I said real flowers...she didn't write it in her notes. Finally I had to leave the room, b/c I didn't want to become a bridezilla. She says she has to stay up all night to make them, and I said, well, I'm sorry that you didn't write it down correctly. I know what I like, and I NEVER said real flowers. So she did the gumpaste flowers, but not the right ones, but oh well.
Now that I do cakes, I think back and feel bad, but she should have payed attention to what I said!
PS...Don't hate me for iticon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 12:10am
post #22 of 32

pipe-dreams, did her price total include the real or the gumpaste flowers? That would make it even more of a "funny" icon_rolleyes.gif story if she billed you for gumpaste but swore you said real! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

pipe-dreams Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 12:40am
post #23 of 32

At first I guess real, b/c when I told her again a few days before that it was supposed to be gumpaste, she said, well that will cost an extra $100 or something. I didn't care how much as long as real flowers were nowhere near my cake!

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 8:07am
post #24 of 32

All great brides here. Years of profiling customers over the phone serves me well...and sometimes I'll just suddenly remember some reason why I don't have their date open. So sorry! Buh bye

Off topic...why the issue with fresh flowers? Just curious.

pipe-dreams Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 3:34pm
post #25 of 32

Stef...I just hated the thought of real flowers on my cake. Now that I do cakes, I will be happy to put them on for other people, but it's just a matter of personal taste I guess. icon_wink.gif

KawaiiCakeCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KawaiiCakeCook Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 8:43am
post #26 of 32

When I was first starting out I had a young bride (19 yrs old folks) ask me to do her cake, she came to the meeting with a STACK of wedding magazines, after pointing out cakes that were so beyond my wildest imaginations she proceeded to tell me her budget. $75, for 100 people. I just shook my head and tried not to laugh. When I told her I couldn't do it for less than $250(yeah I know better now). She gets up in a huff and says well "I came to you because you're supposed to be so cheap." It is time like these where deep breathing comes in handy.

bakery_chick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakery_chick Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 9:17am
post #27 of 32

Think the one bride/groom set that bothered me the most were ones I had almost at the beginning. I do personalized complimentary cake tastings. So bride and groom come in and taste the cakes which they love, we design a cake for them, etc. They love the cake. They want it FOR SURE, but Auntie is paying so they have to bring her in. I agree to do a second tasting. The groom wanted fresh tropical fruit in spice cake (one layer mango, one layer pineapple, one layer strawberry) They were undecided for the rest. I did a complete 2nd tasting including the tropical spice. They show up for the 2nd tasting without Auntie again, taste the cakes, and request to come back a 3rd time. I told them absolutely they could bring in Auntie, but that I was unable to do another tasting. I never heard from them again! A part of me always wondered if they were just looking for some free cake.

Lesson learned though. Recently, I had another bride & groom come in for a cake tasting. I am under contract for a local country club that only pays about 1/2 my normal charge, but I still treat the tastings the same. I am pretty much a one-woman show so to schedule an hour for a tasting actually takes some maneuvering. They came in ate really fast and informed me that they wanted to try all the cakes offered in their package before they made a decision. Not my preference but ok. She called back and said she liked my cakes the best so she wanted to come back for another meeting to design her cake. She wanted to taste the cakes again. I told her absolutely--that would be $25.00. Never heard from her either...

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 12:02pm
post #28 of 32

I have had a couple of Momzillas too. I think the Mom's dont realize that Black is ok at a wedding, that fondant is ok at a wedding and that you don't have to have a three tiered round cake with swags in icing on it to be a wedding cake!!
I had one bride and mom fighting so much, I told them to talk it out and let me know what the final outcome is, as I was being stuck in the middle

But I have been VERY lucky with brides..You can tell some of them are way too into this wedding planning stuff, but all have been nice as can be to me.

indydebi Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 1:45pm
post #29 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

I had one bride and mom fighting so much, I told them to talk it out and let me know what the final outcome is, as I was being stuck in the middle

In these times, I tell them, "ahhhhhhh..... your first fight and I get to be here!" icon_biggrin.gif That kinda diffuses 'em for a second .... and helps them realize they are acting like that in front of a stranger, their cake lady!

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 10 Apr 2009 , 1:54pm
post #30 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

In these times, I tell them, "ahhhhhhh..... your first fight and I get to be here!" icon_biggrin.gif That kinda diffuses 'em for a second .... and helps them realize they are acting like that in front of a stranger, their cake lady!

That is true! It is amazing to me how people behave at a tasting...I have had brides tell the groom what HE wants, I have had grooms sit there, arms crossed, already having learned to keep their mouth shuts and I have brides where I never meet the groom! Afterall, its THEIR wedding! The groom is just there for decoration.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%