Need Help To Make An Upright Cake Surfboard

Decorating By dukebrees Updated 8 Apr 2009 , 2:39am by dukebrees

dukebrees Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 4:01am
post #1 of 6

I want to try to make a surfbaord around 2 feet tall that stands upright as close to vertical as possible. Any ideas? I was thinking about using foam core with pegs in it to help keep the cake from sliding. Any help would be appreciated

Duke

5 replies
momade Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 6:40pm
post #2 of 6

I think if I was to try something like that I would want to have something extra behind my cakeboard to be able to really drive down my dowels into. Have you though about maybe making a rock formation out of RKT like it was at the cliff at the beach. Have the Surfboard (on the cake board) leaning down onto the rocks. Then you can really add several dowels down through the hole lenght of the cake which will be covered by the additional rocks. I'm not sure if you able to picture what I'm thinking. This is a tough one.

momade Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 6:47pm
post #3 of 6

I don't know if this will help, but have you thought of possible a cliff rock (like at a beach) made out of RKT that you can have the surf board leaning down on? I think if I was to make something like this and wanted it semi standing, I would want to really be able to ancor the cake to something. By adding a mound of cliff rock behind the surfboard you could really dowel the heck out of the cake to keep it from sliding. The dowels can go down through the cake and it's board and down into the RKT and if there are places where the dowels are showing through it can be covered up with little rocks. HTH This is a tough one though.

momade Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 6:51pm
post #4 of 6

Sorry for the duplicate post. As soon as I sent it through - a message popped up saying I couldn't post so close after making another post somewhere else. I waited and tried to retype what I though I had put in the first one only to find out the first one actually went through. LOL Oh well.

Chef_Stef Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 7:05pm
post #5 of 6

I saw an upright guitar done at an upright angle that Cake Girls did. They built a stand with a piece of basically pipe screwed to the baseboard, upright behind the guitar, to attach the cake board to. It was tilted a bit but looked great. The only problem they had was that the bottom of the cake got squished when they tilted it up and the weight was on that bottom edge, so you'd want to plan for that. Good luck

dukebrees Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 2:39am
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the suggestions. My real concern is the cake sticking to the board and not sliding off. I watched that episode of the cake girls but I got called away before I could find out how they built the guitar. I don't get how they kept the guitar from sliding off the board. It is hard to believe the frosting you use to glue the cake to the board will be enough to hold it in place. I was thinking about putting dowels in the board and then putting on the cake. I am hoping the dowels relieve the pressure and keep the cake from sliding off.
Wish me luck!

Duke

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%