Help...with Fondant

Decorating By sugarplum1215 Updated 21 Apr 2009 , 12:32am by sugarplum1215

sugarplum1215 Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 11:30pm
post #1 of 6

Can anyone help me. I'm a newbie at cake decoratoring and my fondant always seem to crack and rip when I drape it over my cakes. Is there a better method or way to do it so it doesn't crack. I'll take any advice I can get. Thank you to anyone that can help me. icon_smile.gif

5 replies
poohsmomma Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 11:50pm
post #2 of 6

not great at fondant myself, but here's a bump

good luck

jensenscakes Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 7:08pm
post #3 of 6

If you're making your own fondant add a little corn syrup to it to help with elasticity. Also make sure you've kneaded it really well, it's not too thin, and I like to chill the cake after it's covered with BC so I have a good foundation to work with.

sgauta Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 7:30pm
post #4 of 6

It seems like cracking happens when the fondant is too dry, so make sure (if you're making it yourself) that you kneaded it sufficiently and do add a little corn syrup. Keep it tightly wrapped until you're ready to use it so it's not exposed to the air too much. When you are ready to use it, knead it well for a couple of minutes. You'll see how sometimes when you first start kneading it's a little cracky, but the warmth of your hands helps soften it up.

As for ripping, make sure the fondant isn't too thin and that you're not "overworking" it on the cake. In other words, as you smooth it don't press down too hard on the sides. It's tempting to keep smoothing down the sides (especially if you're struggling with the "bulge" issue) but it actually keeps thinning out the fondant and increases its chances of ripping and tearing. Make sure the cake itself is leveled and trimmed well and that your fondant is at a good consistency and rolled out evenly. This ensures a minimal amount of "handling" to get it on the cake and smooth it out, which decreases the chances of rips, wrinkles, and tears.

I hope this makes sense -- just a few things I had to learn along the way. It gets easier with practice!

sugarplum1215 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 12:32am
post #5 of 6

Ur replies really helped me out thats for reading.

sugarplum1215 Posted 21 Apr 2009 , 12:32am
post #6 of 6

Ur replies really helped me out thanks for reading.

Quote by @%username% on %date%