Recipe For An Easter Cake

Baking By KatesCakesBC Updated 7 Apr 2009 , 10:27pm by clovely

KatesCakesBC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatesCakesBC Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 11:17pm
post #1 of 14

Hello,

I am doing a cake for an Easter party next weekend. I have a design in mind that doesn't require stacking or anything. The family is having a casual Easter Open House on their patio with light afternoon tea served. The only request was not vanilla and not chocolate -- "something different, something special" were her words. I have a number of recipes swirling around in my head but none are particularly "special" and quite frankly I would like to challenge myself to something new. I am hoping for something that will fit the mood of the party - light and "Spring" ish and fresh. Would love to combine a great cake recipe with a killer filling as well. Will be paired with a nice buttercream recipe I use all the time that isn't too sweet but is quite thick.

Suggestions? Any flavours that might be unexpected and unique but still delicious? Recipes that have "knocked 'em dead" in the past? I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

13 replies
jenniferus2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenniferus2002 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 5:12pm
post #2 of 14

The cake that my family always request is a snickerdoodle cake. Just your favorite yellow cake with about 1 1/2 tsp. of cream of tarter added, then decorated with a cinnamon buttercream. Another favorite cake is a pink champagne cake. I make mine a white cake with raspberries added, then decorated with a champagne flavored buttercream ( i use lorannes oils) and of course colored pink. HTH. Good luck wowing the family! thumbs_up.gif

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 7:45pm
post #3 of 14

lemon cake is a simple classic. and carrot, or coffee. maybe too obvious for them tho, lol.
maybe try something like mango cake, with rasberry filling? recipes on here.
xx

volleyball47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
volleyball47 Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 7:53pm
post #4 of 14

what about hummingbird cake?

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 8:02pm
post #5 of 14

I thought of lemon too - with a raspberry filling. That seems "Spring-y" to me!

imamommy1205 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imamommy1205 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 12:49pm
post #6 of 14

I think lemon raspberry cake sounds wonderful!

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 2:30pm
post #7 of 14

MacsMom's Orange Dreamsicle Cake is wonderful!

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 2:49pm
post #8 of 14

Carrot cake, definitely. My mom makes this killer carrot cake every year for easter. I look forward to it so much! Really, it's the best and super moist. If you want the recipe, PM me. I'll remember that way.

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 2:53pm
post #9 of 14

key lime cake w/ lemon curd filling

pianocat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 3:15pm
post #10 of 14

Beth's orange cake with an orange curd filling is great (with smbc). Cake recipe is on cc. I also did a lemon cake with a pomegranate/tangerine filling that was really good. My most recent 'good' cake is the butter/coconut cream cake with Key lime filling (cakes were brushed with rum simple syrup) came out very yummy.

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 3:27pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianocat

Beth's orange cake with an orange curd filling is great (with smbc). Cake recipe is on cc. I also did a lemon cake with a pomegranate/tangerine filling that was really good. My most recent 'good' cake is the butter/coconut cream cake with Key lime filling (cakes were brushed with rum simple syrup) came out very yummy.

omg that sounds fantastic

jenniferus2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenniferus2002 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 4:04pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbt4955

MacsMom's Orange Dreamsicle Cake is wonderful!

I know i have seen this recipe, but i can't seem to find it now. Could someone please post it for me again. Thanks so much.

Never mind i found it. Thanks to MacsMom I'm gonna try this for my Easter cake.

pianocat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 5:14pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsfreebies72

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianocat

omg that sounds fantastic

It wasgood! I got a lot of raves on that one.

clovely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clovely Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 10:27pm
post #14 of 14

I was having the same dillema and, searching around on CC, I found the Shirley Temple variation of WASC. I baked it today and I think it's going to be yummy! (I overfilled the pans a bit so dd and I tried some of the excess I had to trim off.) It's pale pink which I hadn't even thought of but very appropriate. I wanted something different and kinda light and lemon just wasn't very exciting sounding. This cake has lemon (extract and lemon/lime soda), cherry (extract and marischino cherry juice) and white chocolate pudding mix thrown in. I think I'm going to do a white chocolate filling and white chocolate buttercream. I can hardly wait to get all that together and try it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%