Buttercream Got Stuck

Decorating By wverbest Updated 3 Apr 2009 , 12:13am by Tortess

wverbest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wverbest Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 10:24pm
post #1 of 4

Made my first stacked cake this weekend...Just to practice. It was not decorated, I just wanted to make sure I could frost each tier and place it without the whole thing coming down. Yeah me I did great. A couple of problems I did have was placing each tier without getting my fingers in the buttercream. How do you place them without getting icing on your fingers????Practice???? Second problem, when I lifted eacg tier the next day the buttercream lifted off with the cakeboard. Should this happen or is there something I can do to stop this from happening. Any help you can offer???

I loved making this cake. The recipes I have found here are all Fabulous! Thank you CC... I love this site.

3 replies
Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 10:30pm
post #2 of 4

You need to sprinkle powdered sugar on the tops of the cake where the cardboard will rest. Then the BC will not stick to the cake boards. icon_smile.gif

About fingers in the BC while stacking - you can either put your dowels in the bottom tier and then pull them back up so they are sticking an inch or two out of the cake, and then set your top cake on them and let the weight of that cake gently push the dowels down and into place, or (what I do) just hover your cake about an inch above the bottom tier and drop it into place. Fun and dramatic! icon_biggrin.gif LOL

Post pics when you get a chance! icon_smile.gif

wverbest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wverbest Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 11:57pm
post #3 of 4

THank you soo much for the tips! I can't wait to try again. I will be posting pics soon.

Tortess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tortess Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 12:13am
post #4 of 4

Toedna has a good video on stacking cakes on YouTube. She uses one hand and her spatula. Here is the link:

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%