Can Fondant Flowers Be Placed In Fridge?

Decorating By Miffy Updated 2 Apr 2009 , 10:29pm by Miffy

Miffy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Miffy Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 9:19pm
post #1 of 20

Hi, I have to decorate a cheesecake and I was wondering if I use fondant can I then keep it in the fridge? I had heard somewhere that the fondant will go wet and slimy. Is that correct?? Please help as I need to decorate a cheesecake today!!!! Thanks in advance. icon_confused.gif

19 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 9:32pm
post #2 of 20

Yes you can put fondant in the fridge. It doesn't harm it. When you take it out of the fridge though, don't freak out because of the dewy sheen on it. Don't touch, don't wipe, let it come back to room temp, it will be fine.

Miffy Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 9:35pm
post #3 of 20

thank you so much Jamie. Off to make fondant flowers now!

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 9:47pm
post #4 of 20

fondant in the fridge is a maybe for me. I do know that fondant or gumpaste flowers in a fridge is a NO. The dewy sheen that will collect on them will soften them and your flowers will lose their shape. Please wait until serving the cake to add them. The same with fondant/gumpaste bows.

__Jamie__ Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 9:53pm
post #5 of 20

I've never had that problem. Perhaps a matter of overall humidity in the home or bakery could cause that.

jlynnw Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 10:05pm
post #6 of 20

the dew on the cake/ condensation is moisture, right? That is caused from a cold object in a warmer setting. Moisture is bad for gumpaste and fondant flowers and will cause them to wilt, right? Therefore the moisture formed when removing the cake with the flowers on it will cause the flowers to wilt, right? What part of the country do you live? Maybe that is it. I still would not chance it. Just my thoughts, IMHO

Miffy Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 10:08pm
post #7 of 20

Oh. Problem is that the cheesecake is not being served by me. It's a birthday cake. Maybe I should just ice the top in buttercream and do some buttercream flowers instead. I have never 'decorated' a cheesecake before. I normally just serve with berries.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 10:13pm
post #8 of 20

Fondant can rehydrate and kill your beautiful flowers. Been there, done that.

Gumpaste does not rehydrate. I put finished cakes with GP flowers on them in the fridge with no problems.

You can dip-color your gumpaste flowers in liquid color and they will not rehydrate. I've seen Sue McMahon (a goddess of gumpaste flowers) do this with fantastic results.

jlynnw Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 10:14pm
post #9 of 20

Try a flower and see what happens. Make them as planned and try one in the fridge. Pull it out in the morning and see how it does. Or try chocolate clay. They will stand up in the fridge. What area of the country do you live? Is it humid there?

Miffy Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 10:14pm
post #10 of 20

I live in Australia and the weather today is going to be humid with showers so I think I should say NO to the fondant and YES to the buttercream. Thanks for all your help. icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 10:16pm
post #11 of 20

I don't think I could make fondant flowers anyways. Gumpaste sure...unless they were just ribbon fondant roses. Well, either way, I've made fondant accents, some thick, some super thin, some with 3d details, painted, not....never had any results that weren't expected though. It really may just depend on relative humidity though too. Pretty dang dry where I am, so maybe that's it.

Or I've been reallllly lucky..lol!

__Jamie__ Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 10:18pm
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miffy

I live in Australia and the weather today is going to be humid with showers so I think I should say NO to the fondant and YES to the buttercream. Thanks for all your help. icon_smile.gif

I think you would be fine, maybe just put them on last minute like someone else suggested.

Miffy Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 10:18pm
post #13 of 20

Another problem I have is that I have to make it today! Very last minute thing. Found out yesterday. Made the cheesecake at some ridiculous hour last night and now have to make it look pretty and write happy birthday on it! How does buttercream taste on a vanilla baked cheesecake (new york style) anyway??

Cakepro Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 10:21pm
post #14 of 20

If you have an air-conditioned house, humidity in your home is not a factor.

Miffy Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 10:22pm
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miffy

I think you would be fine, maybe just put them on last minute like someone else suggested.

They are picking the cake up mid afternoon and they will have it till they eat it at night. I can't put the flowers on! That would be a great idea though!!! Aggh toooo stressful. Why did I ever say yes to this!

Miffy Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 10:24pm
post #16 of 20

Just remembered I have some flower modelling paste. Is that ok to use? I get confused between all the pastes! LOL

__Jamie__ Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 10:24pm
post #17 of 20

Ok....let's try something different. What kind of flowers? Something ruffly and thin that will droop, or something thick and squat that really won't be going anywhere? Ribbon style roses? Or dainty daisies??

Cakepro Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 10:25pm
post #18 of 20

I know it doesn't help you today, Miffy, but you can make gumpaste flowers in advance and have them ready for you to use on those last-minute orders. I keep a couple dozen GP roses on hand in neutral colors so I can dust or airbrush them the color I need. Calla lilies are another great flower to keep on hand. icon_smile.gif

Miffy Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 10:26pm
post #19 of 20

Was going to go thin but I could change my whole thought process and go with ribbon roses.

Miffy Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 10:29pm
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

I know it doesn't help you today, Miffy, but you can make gumpaste flowers in advance and have them ready for you to use on those last-minute orders. I keep a couple dozen GP roses on hand in neutral colors so I can dust or airbrush them the color I need. Calla lilies are another great flower to keep on hand. icon_smile.gif

I really should do that. For ages all my cakes had no flowers so didn't see the point but now I'm not so sure.... Will make time to make flowers!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%