Cake Stands

Decorating By tirechic Updated 4 Apr 2009 , 9:44pm by icer101

tirechic Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 7:15pm
post #1 of 14

I was wondering, what is the general consensus on cake stands. When you have a wedding and use a cake stand, do you rent it to the bride or charge a large deposit. Do you wait around at the event to retrieve said item, or what. I just want to be in line with everyone else, and not be offensive. Thank you in advance for all your help.

13 replies
antonia74 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 4:26am
post #2 of 14

3 things I'd advise:

only rent to clients who have signed a Rental Contract making them liable for damage & loss. (And heck no, I wouldn't wait around at the venue to get your stand back. That's awkward to have you at their event....and they aren't paying you hourly to wait for it, are they? They bring it back themselves, arrange for someone to return it for them OR they pay you time/gas to go back and get it for them.)

AND get the full information/phone number of the person who will be returning the equipment to you by a specific day and time.

AND clients should pay for it's 100% full value/rental fee BEFORE the event date. You should also be paid for your time if you are going to deliver and/or retrieve it from their venue. Be prepared for venues to be closed the next day, nobody knows where it is or who took it home, did it have your name/phone number on it?...happens a LOT. Stick a business card on there! Make sure all those details are decided with the couple before the wedding. Their mind isn't on your stand when they are flying to Hawaii, let me tell you!

(I used to not ask for a deposit or payment beforehand. I waited until the item was returned....IF it was returned cleand and on time that is! I thought that I could inspect it quickly first, then they could pay for renting it. BIG MISTAKE! An item was left chipped on my doorstep by cowardly clients who then denied they had damaged anything and snuck away. It only had to happen once for me to realize nobody would 'fess up or pay up after the fact. Money talks. They must pay the full value beforehand in cash (no checks, those get cancelled easily!). That way, if accidents do happen when they return it, you are compensated already. If it comes back in perfect condition, they get their money back. Money is the best incentive for them to take care of your items!) thumbs_up.gif

debster Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 4:45am
post #3 of 14

I agree with Antonia I charge a 30.00 rental fee plus the price of the stand for deposit, when my goods are returned fine they get their money back. You said it Antonia MONEY TALKS!!!!

starra328 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 5:20am
post #4 of 14

Do you guys use tableau stands or regular stands. I have a wedding coming up and i think i want to buy a round tableau stand the prices seem to go from forty up .Does anyone know a good site to buy stands?

tirechic Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 5:34am
post #5 of 14

thank you all for your wonderful advice. I didnt know what was the norm, and did not want to seem out of place, or better yet, stupid-lol, anyways, everything sounds like what my gut was saying,when in doubt go with your gut. Again, thank you. I am getting ready to begin a busness, (still a while down the road) and just want to be prepared, for anything,everything, and then some.

debster Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 11:00pm
post #6 of 14

I buy my plateaus from www.efavormart.com they seem to have the best prices on the sturdy stands. When you go there in the search put in plateaus. thumbs_up.gif

tirechic Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 11:27pm
post #7 of 14

omg!!!! this site is fantastic, thank you for the link. They do have the best prices, and lots and lots of other stuff. Thank you, thank you, thank you. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

KoryAK Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 11:50pm
post #8 of 14

deposit that covers replacement and $25 weekly rental fee. They bring it back to me.

antonia74 Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 12:23am
post #9 of 14

I loved dealing with these companies for cake/cupcake stands. They are both wonderful in quality and service.

http://www.weddingcakestands.com/

http://www.bossmanufacturing.com

thumbs_up.gif

starra328 Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 4:30am
post #10 of 14

Thanks for the sites Debster and antonia74 i will check them out.

icer101 Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 4:48am
post #11 of 14

it's ironic, i have been searching tonight for these plateaus... does anyone know about this site... myironfurniture.com.. . they have these cake plateaus.. i don,t know much about them.. going to make a golden anniversay cake in june. was just checking around. thanks..

KoryAK Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 5:22am
post #12 of 14

OOOH yes I do know about them! They are nothing... its very strange. I got excited when I saw them the first time and ordered a few. Even posted here. Then no charge or email came thru. So I called and none of the numbers work out. Not even the number listed on the web info page (can't think of the site right now but every site owner's info is on there). Emails bounced back. This was at least a year ago so maybe its all ironed out now but I never did get a charge or response. Very very strange why someone would pay to have a site put up with all that info and just not DO anything.

KoryAK Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 5:25am
post #13 of 14

yup I just sent em an email to test it... and it bounced back.

icer101 Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 9:44pm
post #14 of 14

thank you KoryAk, glad i asked.. they look good , but didn,t know anything about them..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%