3D Willow Tree?

Decorating By keljo05 Updated 3 Apr 2009 , 1:19pm by annez

keljo05 Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 7:08pm
post #1 of 5

I'm working on a cake for a friend and am at a loss. The concept is to make a 3D willow tree on top of a cake with the cake looking like a piece of a park (green with a blue pond) The branches will be parted in the front to reveal a small bday gift under the tree. I made a form for the tree by using florists wire and covered the base and trunk with gum paste before I add the royal icing 'bark'. However my challenge is the leaves of the willow tree. My first thought was to use royal icing and pipe the leaves on using the small leaf tip. That idea didn't work too well. I realized that by the time it was transported to its destination it would look like a willow tree at the end of fall with little to no leaves, lol. My next idea was to use fondant or gum paste. I just tried this with the pieces being cut using a #124 tip. the look is close to what I want, but when trying to attach the leaf to the wire branch I was attempting to wrap the top of the leaf around to anchor it and I was smooshing a test leaf above it. I can see that that would give me the look I want... but wanted to see if anyone had any other ideas?

4 replies
JCE62108 Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 10:23pm
post #2 of 5

I really dont know, I consider myself unexperienced but this is just a thought....what about attaching each individual leaf to a thin wire, then twisting all the wires together to get a long branch full of leaves? I think this is a really pretty idea. Good luck with your cake! icon_smile.gif

annez Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 12:04am
post #3 of 5

How tall is your tree?

keljo05 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 1:41am
post #4 of 5

the tree is only about 7" tall

annez Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 1:19pm
post #5 of 5

The more I reread your post, the more I can't wait to see pictures of the finished product! I've been trying to think of different ways you could do the leaves, but the best I could come up with was maybe using long strips of fondant/gumpaste and "texturing" them to look like the willow leaves? Then you wouldn't necessarily have to worry about hundreds of little pieces coming off?

If nothing else, bump!

good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%