A Good Chocolate Cake For A Wedding Cake!

Baking By makncheese Updated 7 Apr 2009 , 2:41pm by mbt4955

makncheese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makncheese Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 5:58pm
post #1 of 16

Hi everyone! I am getting ready to make my cousin's wedding cake. I'm not super worried about the decorating part because i have done several, but I usually buy the cakes from a store. I want to make them this time. I'm worried I will choose a cake that isn't firm enough to stack and decorate! Does anyone have any good recipes for a firm chocolate cake that is still going to be super yummy?! I really appreciate it!

15 replies
Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 6:04pm
post #2 of 16

I love the cake in the Cake Doctor book, I think it is called Darn good chocolate cake. Very moist and yummy!!

iluvjay829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvjay829 Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 6:10pm
post #3 of 16

I use the darn good chocolate cake recipe on here. However, I use BC milk chocolate cake mix, chocolate pudding, and milk chocolate chips. The original recipe was just a little fudgy for my personal taste. Last time I made it I was out of milk, so I used half and half and heavy cream mixed together...it is to die for!!! Everyone who's tasted it says, "I don't like chocolate cake, but this is delicious." It also stacks very well. Good luck!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 6:20pm
post #4 of 16

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Double-Chocolate-Layer-Cake-101275

I just made this last weekend for a wedding. It was to die for. They wanted plain SMBC (so, vanilla) filling, I swear this was like a giant SuzieQ sandwich....sooooo good!

carmenid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmenid Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 6:38pm
post #5 of 16

Jamie, thanks for sharing! I have been looking for a good chocolate cake recipe...

What type of semisweet chocolate did you use?

__Jamie__ Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 6:41pm
post #6 of 16

double post...whoops

__Jamie__ Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 6:41pm
post #7 of 16

Just Ghirardelli (sorry if I butchered the spelling)

2sweetcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sweetcookies Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 8:55pm
post #8 of 16

This is the same as one of Martha stewarts Chocolate with the added1/2 cup sugar and it is my new favorite. I was always sure to us butter (WBH is good) in my cakes instead of oil but I agree with jamie, "to die for"

Peachshortcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peachshortcake Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 1:33am
post #9 of 16

I just use my chocolate cake recipes. I posted it under the sour cream chocolate cake post.... or you can PM me for the recipe.

whitet4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whitet4 Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 1:45am
post #10 of 16

2nd the darn good chocolate cake it is realllllllly good.

whitet4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whitet4 Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 1:45am
post #11 of 16

2nd the darn good chocolate cake it is realllllllly good.

ClassyMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ClassyMommy Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 1:55am
post #12 of 16

I just tried MacsMom's chocolate wasc recipe and it was so good! You can find the recipe in the google doc for the gourmet flavors thread.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 1:56am
post #13 of 16

I'm with Jamie, I use the Double Choc. cake from Epicurious. Everyone seems to really like it. Although I do have trouble with it sinking in the center sometimes.

__Jamie__ Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 2:20am
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Price

I'm with Jamie, I use the Double Choc. cake from Epicurious. Everyone seems to really like it. Although I do have trouble with it sinking in the center sometimes.

I made sure to use extra big flower nails in the larger cakes, and baked low, at 325.

Seriously, I'm going to start marketing that cake paired with vanilla SMBC as "The Suzy-Q Sandwich Cake"! icon_biggrin.gif

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 2:38pm
post #15 of 16

I use the Epicurious recipe too. It does sometimes sink just a little bit in the center, but I have found that it bakes better without a flower nail or Bake-Even strips. One recipe makes two 10" rounds or one 12" square. I will be baking it for another wedding at the end of the month. Yum!!

I just use Baker's semi-sweet chocolate in the cake. I normally use Ghiradelli bittersweet for the ganache.

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 2:41pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Quote:
Originally Posted by Price

I made sure to use extra big flower nails in the larger cakes, and baked low, at 325.

Actually, doesn't the recipe say to bake at 300? Maybe that is just in my head somewhere, but it certainly works for me. icon_smile.gif

One note - the directions say to cool it completely in the pans. I turned mine out after 15 minutes one time and it totally broke. icon_cry.gif I didn't know about cake balls then, so it was an excuse to have cake and ice cream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%