What Do You Use For Cake Boards?

Decorating By illbringthecake Updated 3 Apr 2009 , 2:30pm by tonedna

illbringthecake Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 5:10pm
post #1 of 28

I was just wondering what everyone uses for cake boards and display stands. Do just use the regular cardboard ones? I see some that look like they are wooden, is there cardboard between them? I am just wondering because I am going through alot of cardboard cake boards. And for all my heavier cakes I have to double up or purchase the thick ones. Thanks

27 replies
PinkZiab Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 5:28pm
post #2 of 28

When I'm just doing free cakes for friends and family I use cardboard and cake drums, but for my professional cakes I use all masonite throughout (under each tier, as well as my baseboard).

PinkZiab Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 5:29pm
post #3 of 28

Sorry, duplicate post... stupid bad internet connection! lol

cakesthatrock Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 5:40pm
post #4 of 28

Were you wanting to buy masonite or wooden cake rounds? My father makes mine for me. I go to the flower shop and get the pretty paper and wrap the wood boards ( always untreat wood). The florist paper is not food safe so you will need to protect your cake from the wrap. Before my father cut my boards for me I would use foam board and sometimes I would double the foam board.

bakery_chick Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 6:08pm
post #5 of 28

I use cake boards. I double or triple up for heavier cakes, and yes I do go through A LOT of those little suckers. I cover mine with contact paper.

solascakes Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 7:49pm
post #6 of 28

For heavier or stacked cakes i use the cake drums,but other than that i use the double thick boards or make mine.When i get deliveries i keep the boxes and cut them.

Sabz Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 9:05pm
post #7 of 28
Originally Posted by solascakes

When i get deliveries i keep the boxes and cut them.

Thats what I do too. But what I wanted to know was, could you do that for the tiered cakes (where the board needs to be exact size of cake). And if you can, would you need to cover it with something or 'raw' board under cake is ok?
I've seen uncovered cardboard used for those cakes, but I'm not sure if thats some sort of special board.

kakeladi Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 9:32pm
post #8 of 28

I sure would not cut up any cardboard box! ;(
Who knows where that box has been; what has crawled on, in or over it?? YUCK.
Use what is intened to be used with food.....cake circles/boards.
It is alwasy best to cover any board with something that is food safe - contac paper (plastic shelf liner); aluminum foil; freezer wrap; etc. Anything else must be covered w/one of those before food is put on it.

__Jamie__ Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 9:35pm
post #9 of 28

Ewwwww....yeah! No, bad to cut up some random box. Yikes! Just the conveyor belts that boxes slide along on at the UPS factories....(((shudder))).

I've used English drums the last few times. Those suckers were solid! I'm sticking with those babies!

__Jamie__ Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 9:39pm
post #10 of 28

Please, please do not just put cakes on some sort of random cut up circle from some "box". And before you think I'm all hoity toity about germs and all, trust me, I'm not. I eat raw meat for God's sake. icon_biggrin.gif

Something about a pretty cake resting on some crappy cardboard gives me the heeby-jeebies.

Check out the cake supply sites for what they offer under cake boards and rounds. All kinds of great ideas, and materials that were not at one time a box that carried taxidermy specimens, or science class dissection kits....or, whatever else. icon_biggrin.gif

pattycakesnj Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 9:41pm
post #11 of 28

I use foam board, double thickness with heavier cakes. I buy tons of them at AC Moore or Michaels when they are on sale or when I have coupons.

__Jamie__ Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 9:52pm
post #12 of 28

I use the foam core under my tiers with Press and Seal wrapped around them as well, but always a good sturdy English Drum for the base.

Cakepro Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 10:00pm
post #13 of 28

Foamcore, period, covered with Press 'n Seal. 3/16th inch thickness for between tiers and 1/2 inch thickness for cake bases.

If you have to cut up shipping boxes to serve as cake circles (gross), then you need to charge more to buy proper materials.

Melissa0567 Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 10:14pm
post #14 of 28

What is a English drum, I haven't run across those yet. And foam core, is that the white foam that you get at Michaels in the floral dept?

msulli10 Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 10:14pm
post #15 of 28

Foamcore for heavy cakes; cardboard cake circles in between tiers. (I buy them at Michaels with coupons).

Cakepro Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 10:19pm
post #16 of 28

No.....foamcore is like 2 poster boards with some very dense foam in between.

The next time you go to Michael's, ask them to show you where it is. It comes in different thicknesses and in different colors. The 3/16th" thickness runs about $3 a sheet but goes on sale every couple of months for $1 a sheet. The 1/2" thickness foamcore sheets are like $6 a sheet, so stock up on several sheets now while you have 50% off coupons available. icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 10:21pm
post #17 of 28
pattycakesnj Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 10:46pm
post #18 of 28

foamcore are white heavy duty boards that are in the art section of craft stores. It has nothing to do with floral dept.

weirdo Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 10:58pm
post #19 of 28

I also use the foamboards and I work at Michaels so I know we have them. Good Luck

smitakasargod Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 11:07pm
post #20 of 28

I tried using foamboards but I had a really hard time cutting them. Is there some special gadget for that?I just used a craft knife. I use cake boards from michaels too. For a heavy cake I used a masonite board recently. Worked out well.

Cakepro Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 11:24pm
post #21 of 28

A hot knife cuts foamcore effortlessly. It's sold in the wood crafts department at Michael's for about $16....or $8 and some change after a coupon. icon_smile.gif

It's like an electric X-Acto knife that gets to about 1400 degrees F. VERY hot.

kaciealexa Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 11:29pm
post #22 of 28

i use pizza boards that i get from the resturant supply store, get about 100 for 10.00... also, sam's joint will sell anything, just go to their cake department...i buy boxes, plastic cake containers. laurie

pattycakesnj Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 11:40pm
post #23 of 28

I use a serrated bread knife to cut

squeaky121603 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 1:47am
post #24 of 28

I also use the foamcore and cut with electric X-Acto knife but I can't seem to get my edges straight up and down. They always seem to go at a slant or they just aren't smooth and even. Anyone have a tip on how I can get straight edges? I try to keep the knife as straight as possible.


tonedna Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 2:05am
post #25 of 28

I use cake drums..

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

cinderspritzer Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 2:08am
post #26 of 28
Originally Posted by Cakepro

It's like an electric X-Acto knife that gets to about 1400 degrees F. VERY hot.

This reminds me of Jeff Foxworthy talking about wood burning kits... ''And the electrical cord was about 2 feet long so you could play with it right next to the drapes!''

Sabz Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 8:44am
post #27 of 28

Lol, calm down guys. I don't use 'raw' boards for my cakes. I definitely cover them with food-safe foil! And that's not everytime anyway. I normally do use the store-bought cake boards.

But what I was asking was; I've seen a few videos on youtube, where they are stacking up cakes and cutting the board the cake is sitting on to measure the exact size of cakes. And I swear, they weren't covered! Or atleast, the sides are exposed.

tonedna Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 2:30pm
post #28 of 28

I think the one I seen in you tube using those, are the ones that are covered in a wax film, and are meant for bakeries..But God knows..
Edna icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%