Shining Up This Fondant Bow

Decorating By JenLGAJ Updated 2 Apr 2009 , 9:18pm by JenLGAJ

JenLGAJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenLGAJ Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 4:53pm
post #1 of 6

I'm about to assemble my first fondant bow that I made using the tutorial here on CC... but it needs something. The color is "dull" looking and was hoping the shine it up or something. Any suggestions ladies? I was considering trying to use some crisco but that would be challenging... then I remembered reading about brushing on vodka to clean up fondant?
It is MMF.
Any advice??? I don't have any luster dust or airbrushing, ect... just starting out here.

TIA!

5 replies
majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 5:13pm
post #2 of 6

Well, Crisco is one idea. Another one is vegetable oil. Try it on a piece which you won't see on finished cake (will be covered).
Another idea would be sugar - not powdered, but the crystal one. You would need to wet the bow a little and sprinkle sugar on it. Again, try it on a piece you can hide.

SweetMelissa2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMelissa2007 Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 5:23pm
post #3 of 6

You can pick up luster dust at a craft store in the cake decorating section (like AC Moore or Michaels) and just mix it with vodka or vanilla flavoring. Or, depending on how much time you have, you can go online and order Pearl Luster spray. Jester's carries it (www.fondantsource.com). It's $9.99 and you just spray it on!

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 7:10pm
post #4 of 6

I am not sure if you will have problems with this considering the bow is allready constructed but when I do a fondant piece that I want a gloss to i dampen my fingertip (or you can use a foam paint brush) and wipe a drop of water up and down the piece. It melts a top layer of sugar and gets it really glossy then dries with a shine.

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 7:29pm
post #5 of 6

I use a confectioners glaze to make gumpaste shiny.. but here is a recipe you can make. I haven't tried it yet, but I want to...
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7292-Edible-Varnish.html

JenLGAJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenLGAJ Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 9:18pm
post #6 of 6

thanks for all the great suggestions.... I tried the paper towel w/ crisco and it did a good job of shining it up some.... I have lots of ideas now for next time! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%