Wasa,, Chocolate And White Cake Mix

Decorating By Traci9130 Updated 2 Apr 2009 , 3:39pm by kakeladi

Traci9130 Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 2:10pm
post #1 of 9

Hi. I was planning on doing a practice cake today and trying to make the WASA cake recipe. I have just realized that I have only ONE white cake mix!!!!! Ugh! Has anyone ever mixed the white and chocolate cake mix together and has made the receipe that way? how bad can that possibly taste?

8 replies
Donnagardner Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 2:15pm
post #2 of 9

If you are talking about WASC (white almond sour cream) then yes you can mix 2 flavors together. It won't hurt anything it will just give you a lighter chocolate flavor.

mellee Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 2:22pm
post #3 of 9

How big of a cake are you making? You might not need more than one cake mix! Good luck and have fun! icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 2:32pm
post #4 of 9

My *original* WASC recipe used only one mix. It is such a versatile recipe icon_smile.gif
Read thru the whole recipe before you start. Note the extra info at the end. Enjoy your baking!

The *original* WASC cake recipe by kakeladi

1 box cake mix (I prefer Betty Crocker) *see notes at end
1 cup flour*
1 cup granulated sugar
generous dash of salt

1 cup sour cream*
1 cup water *
3 whole eggs
1 tablespoon flavoring*
In bowl mix together dry ingredients. It's helpful if you use a wire whisk, but optional. It's important w/choco cake not so much for other flavors.
In mixer bowl place next 3 ingredients. Add about 1/2 of the dry ingredients and blend together, then add the rest of the dry ingredients & blend. Mix for 2 minutes. Some tell me they just dump all ingredients into the bowl together. Some tell me they sift all dry ingredients together.
Pour into prepared pans * and bake as usual.

*NOTES: ANY cake flavor can be used. Match the flavoring to the cake flavor such use lemon/almond mix for lemon cake; strawberry for a strawberry cake etc, etc. For most flavors you can use a mixture of vanilla, butter, and almond which is what I do most of the time.
You can use milk, juice, thawed fz concentrates, soda pop (ie: Coke), cream or just about anything! for the liquid.
This recipe is based on mixing in a kitchenaid mixer. I use position #1 to stir it, then #4 to mix the batter.
Most of the time I forget to add the salticon_smile.gif
On rare occasions I have used other brands of mix.
This makes the amount of batter as if you used 1 1/2 mixes and is perfect for a 10" sq OR 9x13 OR one 8" & two 6" round;OR two 8"rounds OR a 12" round; and other combinations of pans.
I prefer to bake at 300 degrees for about 20-30 minutes (depending on size of cake) then turn oven up to 325 for about an equal time. If cake has pulled away from sides it is overbaked. After cooling, the top might be a bit sticky.
Some people have told me they use yogurt instead of sour cream.
I've always used all purpose flour. Some tell me they use cake flour but then the amount is less - maybe 3/4 cup - not sure.

Happy baking!

bbmom Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 2:33pm
post #5 of 9

I agree the choc will be very subtle, maybe you could add some cocoa powder in place of some of the flour and strong brewed coffee as the water to get more flavor. Let us know how it turns out. I've been wanting to try a chocolate version. I made the original and loved it.

malishka Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 2:51pm
post #6 of 9

kakeladi,
thank you for your recipe and the helpful info. I have been a fan of your WASC recipe for a couple of months now and would like to say it's amazing!!!

CakesIMake Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 3:03pm
post #7 of 9

ok I gotta ask... awhile ago I saw a post the said not to use DH...why is that? Why BC?

malishka Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 3:12pm
post #8 of 9

I use DH all the time and it has worked wonderfully for me. But a lot of people don't like the way it bakes up. I only use DH because it's the only cake mix that I have seen that doesn't have any dairy products in it.

kakeladi Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 3:39pm
post #9 of 9

......I saw a post the said not to use DH...why is that? Why BC?.....

We really are creatures of habit. When I started decorating about 30 yrs ago BC was what Wilton recommended and I have stuck to it ever since. I have tried DH & Pills but always return to BC. I just like how it turns out and tastes.
As for not using DH........someone probably had something go wrong the blamed it on the brand.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%