Royal Icing Or Buttercream Scrolls On A Buttercream Cake

Decorating By sweetlayers Updated 2 Apr 2009 , 4:29pm by JCE62108

sweetlayers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlayers Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 2:00pm
post #1 of 10

Should I pipe the scrolls my next wedding cake with royal icing or butter cream?

It's a buttercream cake.

What would you do?

TIA

9 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 2:06pm
post #2 of 10

Buttercream for me, please.

If I've already got it made up...why not?

JCE62108 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JCE62108 Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 2:09pm
post #3 of 10

Buttercream for sure. No reason at all to do RI. The only time I do RI on a wedding cake is when it calls for cascading flowers where buttercream might slide off or if the placement of the flowers is akward and RI might be easier. I use BC whenever possible. Its just easier and of course, tastier.

sweetlayers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlayers Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 2:42pm
post #4 of 10

Thanks ladies. I was on the fence, but you have pulled me over to the buttercream side!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 3:32pm
post #5 of 10

Oh definitely b'cream! Why even consider RI?

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 3:40pm
post #6 of 10

Buttercream it what i'll use,unless i'm trying to glue something

bakery_chick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakery_chick Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 3:56pm
post #7 of 10

Ok I have a question...
I didn't even think RI would stick to BC unless it was already set and dried. I have never tried to put wet RI on a BC cake. Does it really dry?

JCE62108 Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 4:00pm
post #8 of 10

It dries hard as a rock...kinda. Its pretty hard. Ive never seen anyone pipe it directly on a cake for decorative purposes. Ive only seen people make the flowers/designs and then let it dry on wax paper overnight. I made some RI Phalenopsis orchids for some bridal shower cakes. They turned out ok and were hard and crunchy. Not very tasty though. I still have some in my pantry. lol.

bakery_chick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakery_chick Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 4:09pm
post #9 of 10

That is my point. RI dries because it has egg whites and no fat. If the RI comes in contact with fat it breaks down the egg whites and won't retain its shape. Once it is dry you can add the hard pieces on any cake, but I thought you could only pipe RI on top of fondant. When people use it to glue on flowers, does it dry? The only reason I am asking is because if I could pipe in RI on BC cakes I would never use black BC again! Black RI is so much easier IMHO.

JCE62108 Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 4:29pm
post #10 of 10

mmm, like you said, grease breaks down RI. That is probably why I have never seen anyone pipe it directly on a cake. I dont know if it would dry or just break down. Sorry I couldnt help. icon_sad.gif (but Id still use BC if it were me. icon_smile.gif )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%