Attaching Premade Dried Fondant Pieces

Decorating By shellycakes123 Updated 4 Apr 2009 , 3:55am by islandgirl72

shellycakes123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellycakes123 Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 1:51pm
post #1 of 21

I usually make the pieces at the time I cover the cake with fondant. Im doing a Mario Bros.. Cake and I need to premake the pieces since they are detailed...

How can I attech dried pieces to the fresh covered fondant? Do they stick as well? Will they fall off? Do they look dried out?

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!!! HAHAH sorry!

20 replies
Shaa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shaa Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 3:27pm
post #2 of 21

I did that with my polka dot cake. I cut polka dots out a week ahead of time but you need to keep them covered or they will dry out and break or crack when you adhere them to the cake. And to adhere them I just use vanilla and a paint brush or gum paste glue and they will stick like they were glued on. Good Luck. thumbs_up.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 3:43pm
post #3 of 21

They will not look dried out icon_smile.gif
If you want the to conform to the shape of the cake (ie" on the sides of an 8" round) then don't dry them ahead....they can crack.
To attach....do as shaa said. Any liquid will work - just a very light brushing on will hold them in place.

Shaa Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 3:47pm
post #4 of 21

Yes dumb me had a brainfart and tried to attach my polka dots to my round cakes and oops the cracked a little but that was my fault completely. Other than that no one knew they had been done for a week lol

jeking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeking Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 4:01pm
post #5 of 21

Just put a dot of buttercream on the back of the piece and stick it on.

PuffCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PuffCake Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 4:12pm
post #6 of 21

Will vanilla work when attaching fondant pieces to the sides of a cake iced with crusted bc also? I'm afraid of gravity pulling them off icon_sad.gif

Shaa Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 4:18pm
post #7 of 21

That I have never tried but I personally wouldn't think so.

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 4:33pm
post #8 of 21

PuffCake,
Good question...I'm also interested in that response.

KieslerKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KieslerKakes Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 4:45pm
post #9 of 21

I tipically make fondant decorations early in the week to save on time. I have not had trouble attaching them to BC. I use a dot of BC icing and it stays. Also to keep the fondant fresh looking you can apply crisco to a papertowel and wipe the fondant pieces. I saw this idea someplace.

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 4:51pm
post #10 of 21

I use royal icing to attach things like flowers and stuff to the cake but not buttercream.

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 5:01pm
post #11 of 21

I made the fondant pieces for this cake a week ahead so they would be easier to handle.. then attached them with buttercream to a buttercream cake...... worked perfectly.. icon_biggrin.gif
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1338079.h

PuffCake Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 5:12pm
post #12 of 21

CakesByLJ,
I get a Forbidden message when I try the link to your cake. Is it in your photos? If so, which one? Thanks!

PuffCake

CakesByLJ Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 5:40pm
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuffCake

CakesByLJ,
I get a Forbidden message when I try the link to your cake. Is it in your photos? If so, which one? Thanks!

PuffCake

Hi... yeah, I think CC is having issues... It is the first cake.. David's 50 birthday... three tier/black & white...

PuffCake Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 6:54pm
post #14 of 21

CakesByLJ,
Beautiful cake! Did you keep the pieces covered at all for the week? Were they dry and hard when you put them on the cake?

CakesByLJ Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 7:08pm
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuffCake

CakesByLJ,
Beautiful cake! Did you keep the pieces covered at all for the week? Were they dry and hard when you put them on the cake?

Thanks~! I actually keep them in pizza boxes that are lined with wax paper. They are away from the light so they won't fade. I wanted them to dry completely, and they did. If you store them in airtight containers they might not dry due to condensation, but the boxes can breathe, so it isn't a problem. I prefer doing fondant decorations this way if possible, so when it's time to decorate the cake it goes so much faster. hth

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 9:43pm
post #16 of 21

.......Will vanilla work when attaching fondant pieces to the sides of a cake iced with crusted bc .......

I prefer to use a piped open circle of b'cream on the back of pieces being attached to b'c. - especially the heavier/bigger ones.

PuffCake Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 10:06pm
post #17 of 21

Sorry to be so dense, kakeladi, but what do you mean by "open circle"? icon_confused.gif

Melissa0567 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melissa0567 Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 10:26pm
post #18 of 21

I have a question about dried gumpaste flowers made on floral wire. How are you suppose to add those to cakes.? I'm sure your not suppose to stick the wires in the cake? I have my first wedding cake due in May which will have about 200 pieces of premade flowers and leave. Just looking to find out how to add them to the cake. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Melissa

CakesByLJ Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 11:32pm
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa0567

I have a question about dried gumpaste flowers made on floral wire. How are you suppose to add those to cakes.? I'm sure your not suppose to stick the wires in the cake? I have my first wedding cake due in May which will have about 200 pieces of premade flowers and leave. Just looking to find out how to add them to the cake. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Melissa

Hi Melissa, I see you are in Rome, GA... One of the most knowledgeable experts in fondant/gumpaste, Nicholas Lodge is in Norcross.. I highly recommend his classes... ok.. for your question.. you are correct, the wires should not be inserted directly into the cake. You have a couple of options.. Make the flowers on toothpicks that can be inserted, or wrap your wires in floral tape; then either insert them into straws in the cake, or form the flowers and leaves into a corsage which can just sit on the cake.. hth

Melissa0567 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melissa0567 Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 2:22am
post #20 of 21

Thanks for the info CakesbyLJ. I guess I will be cutting a lot of straws. LOL. I'll have to check on the Nicholas Lodge classes, I did not realize Nicholas Lodge was that close to me. I will definatly check on his classes. I seen for of the gum paste flowers that others have made in his classes.
Thanks,
Melissa

islandgirl72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
islandgirl72 Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 3:55am
post #21 of 21

On the heart cake in my pictures I made the hearts a week ahead and just attached them to the fondant by painting a little water on the back of each piece. They had dried out so it was a bit difficult.

For my Easter kit I made them ahead and put them on a cookie tray. I then covered them with saran wrap that I lightly rubbed with crisco. It sounds weird, but it worked for me icon_biggrin.gif Then I just used water to attach them.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1341134

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%