How Do I Use Luster Or Pearl Dust?

Decorating By Av8rGrl Updated 6 Apr 2009 , 7:43pm by dmhart

Av8rGrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Av8rGrl Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 3:38am
post #1 of 8

I am making roses and thought that some glitter would look nice, however I have never used luster or pearl dust before. Can you give me any pointers? What is the difference between the luster dust and pearl dust? I bought both and they look almost the same but one was alittle more expensive for some reason. Can I dip the tips of the flowers in the dust, or does it have to be mixed with something and painted on?

Thanks

7 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 5:33am
post #2 of 8

Hi and Welcome to CC, Av8rGrl. icon_smile.gif

Decoding CC acronyms:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926-.html

Everything you ever wanted to know about the various "dusts":

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-54059.html

Everythingyou need to know to bake, assemble and decorate tiered/stacked/layer cakes:
(Includes popular CC recipes for: crusting American b/c, doctored cake mix (WASC) and fondant. And so much more.)

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188.html

HTH

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 3:28pm
post #3 of 8

I just have to say that you should really use alcohol when painting the luster dust on. I don't drink alcohol and never wanted it in my house. So I just always tried to stay away from using it. I would mix vanilla with the luster dust. But the alcohol really makes a big difference! When I finally broke down and bought some, the paint just came out so much nicer! I used everclear. =o)

jensenscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jensenscakes Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 6:47pm
post #4 of 8

I think that it depends on what type of look you want. I usually like the soft pearly look so I just use a soft brush and brush it on. Good Luck with your roses.

MayWest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MayWest Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 6:57pm
post #5 of 8

Like Jensenscakes says it depends on the look you want. If you want the color more intense you can use lemon extract to wet the dust. If you want a softer look which is what I do mostly then just dust it with a brush.

STRAWBERRY1390 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
STRAWBERRY1390 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 6:58pm
post #6 of 8

I also like a little glitter on certain flowers....I use sunflower brand dust and lusters...My favorite for glitter is the "Disco" very soft glitter. I happen to favor the blue or green Discos they seem to go well with what ever color dust I am using and you dont need to dissolve them in alcohol (anyway the grain of the dust is much larger than dust and luster I doubt you could) But from my understanding there are now more intense "Disco" colors out on the market now. Good luck with your flowers

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 7:19pm
post #7 of 8

I also got this really neat brush. It's almost like a powder brush except it's made for cakes. You put the dust down in the center of it and then brush it all around. It is amazing!

dmhart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmhart Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 7:43pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

I also got this really neat brush. It's almost like a powder brush except it's made for cakes. You put the dust down in the center of it and then brush it all around. It is amazing!

Where did you get it from? Sounds like something I would like to try!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%