1St Wedding Cake: Can I Do It???

Decorating By Carlymoon Updated 2 Apr 2009 , 5:07pm by sgauta

Carlymoon Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 2:41am
post #1 of 12

I just had two of my really great friends approach me and ask me to do their wedding cake. The lady they had hired can't do it anymore and they only want the cake for the tradition of cutting it and plan on doing a dessert table. So they've expressed they want something simple ect. b/c they "don't like cake" but want to "cut cake". I know I can do it and make it look great, however when I hear "wedding cake" I feel so much pressure! It just sounds scary! What advice do you have for a 1st time wedding cake? Plus, It will be more of a gift to them versus a profit situation. THoughts? Encouragment? or just say no?!?!

11 replies
LaBellaFlor Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 3:41am
post #2 of 12

Wedding cake, birthday cake, it's all cake. Think of it that way. icon_smile.gif

crisseyann Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 3:43am
post #3 of 12

I made my son's wedding cake before I had any classes in cake decorating. This was a few years back. I followed the instructions that are in every Wilton Yearbook. It was easier than I thought it would be. It certainly wasn't perfect but it got raves from everyone. Good luck. icon_smile.gif

Cris
LL

Creative_chika Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 3:52am
post #4 of 12

I think you will do great! Good luck and post the pictures!! icon_smile.gif

janelwaters Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 3:52am
post #5 of 12

I'm the same way - I hear wedding cake and its like this huge weight gets dropped on me! I freak out.

But as a previous poster said - its all just cake - generally the exact same cake!

I say - GO FOR IT!! this could be the least stressful wedding cake you ever get asked to do!

Have fun - say YES!!

Good luck!

tonedna Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 4:07am
post #6 of 12

There is only one way to learn and is by trying...dont be scared, anything in sugar can be fix!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

tinygoose Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 4:11am
post #7 of 12

I agree, you can do it! Have fun, good luck.

Sweetcakes23 Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 4:11am
post #8 of 12

Yea, the fact that they are having a dessert table takes a ton of pressure off you, but, now when it turns out great....you can wow them even more than they expected!

PatricesPieces Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 4:12am
post #9 of 12

I just took a peek at your photos....HECK YEAH...You should do it!! You have already done a tiered cake, so you should have no worries. You can do it!! We will be here for support!!

Carlymoon Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 12:45pm
post #10 of 12

thanks for the kind words! I agree, now let the planning begin! LOL

Mencked Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 12:53pm
post #11 of 12

Hey Carlymoon--just a few more words of encouragement.....I looked at your pics and you've done things in your caking that I haven't done yet and I've made about 50 wedding cakes icon_smile.gif! You can most definitely do this, but I think you've already been convinced!!! Good luck and I can't wait to see the pictures!

sgauta Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 5:07pm
post #12 of 12

I know what you're going through -- I've felt the same way before. Confidence has never been my strong suit! Someone said something to me recently though, and it kind of resonated. I was going on about how someone asked me to do another wedding cake and I couldn't believe I said yes because I'm not that good, etc. My friend said, "Think of it this way -- this person has seen your cakes and thinks you can make her a beautiful cake. She's asking you because she can't make it herself, she doesn't know the first thing about making cakes, and YOU do. It will be fine. It's just cake." I don't know why, but that made me feel a lot better and I haven't regressed into massive amounts of self-doubt since, lol! Judging from your pictures, you know a lot about cake and you'll do fine. Don't let the 'wedding' part trip you up! icon_biggrin.gif

~Sarah

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%