Covering Cake Board W/ Fondant?

Decorating By micnmax2003 Updated 4 Apr 2009 , 5:41am by micnmax2003

micnmax2003 Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 2:31am
post #1 of 6

I know that I have seen pics here on CC of cake boards that have covered w/ fondant.....it may be a stupid question, but how do I do it? Is it just a matter of rolling out the fondant and placing a thin layer of BC to the board to secure it? How far in advance can this be done? I would like to cover my 12" round cake board in MMF and cut out designs and replace them w/ different coloured pieces of fondant....I need help icon_confused.gif

5 replies
Sweet_Guys Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 2:42am
post #2 of 6

You're absolutely correct...We just started doing it recently...It does make the overall cake look much more cohesive than the cardboard or even the gold or silver color...

Roll it out and place on the board...Decorate as you like...We've read that it's advised to wait a day or longer to dry before placing the bottom layer of cake on it...Finish it off with ribbon on the side of the board to hide the lose ends of the fondant.

HTH

Paul & Peter

smitakasargod Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 2:49am
post #3 of 6

I used to cover the whole board with fondant till I found aine2's tutorial. I save a lot of expensive fondant with her tutorial. You should be able to find it on her blog. It's very good.

jules06 Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 2:55am
post #4 of 6

You can just wet the board with water before covering it with the fondant icon_smile.gif

bashini Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 9:43am
post #5 of 6

You can cover the whole board with fondant few weeks before you put the cake on. That is how I used to do it. But found out that the bottom of the cake goes so soggy. But now I use the bandage method, which aine2 does. But mostly you can use it cover a round cake board. Here is the link for you.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/extra-icing/sets/72157594575839118

But if I'm doing a different shape of a cake, I use some other method to cover the board. Stripes are one of them. You can see them in my photos.

HTH.

micnmax2003 Posted 4 Apr 2009 , 5:41am
post #6 of 6

Thanks everyone for your input...I have looked up Aine2's tutorial icon_biggrin.gif
Thanks for the link bashini, it provided me w/ the info I was looking for.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%