Gumpaste Figure Question

Decorating By jess2523 Updated 3 Apr 2009 , 12:53am by sheilabelle

jess2523 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jess2523 Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 2:16am
post #1 of 5

So, the only thing I have made using gumpaste is the turtle in my pictures. He was short and had four legs to hold himself up. Now, I would like to make a person that stands on its own. How do I make the two little legs able to hold up the weight of the rest of the person? Do you use some sort of internal supports? Do you let the legs and other parts dry and then put them together, or assemble them while still soft? I'm obviously lost here, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jess

4 replies
CristyInMiami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CristyInMiami Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 4:45am
post #2 of 5

Hi! I have made a few figurines but what I usually have noticed is that they are made sitting or laying

If they were standing up I would put some kind of support coming out from the feet part. I think thats how they do it on "Ace of Cakes". Some figurines like prinesses or brides can stand on their own because the wide dress is their support.

Hope this helps! thumbs_up.gif

phoufer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
phoufer Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 4:55am
post #3 of 5

I use pieces of spagetti glued inside the legs . Put it in when the gumpaste is soft. If you watch any of Aine2 videos on Youtube you will see how they will support it. HTH

jess2523 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jess2523 Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 1:53pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks, guys. I guess I'll just have to experiment a little and see if I can make it work. That's a good idea about the spaghetti, I do remember that from Aine2's videos.

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 12:53am
post #5 of 5

I use toothpicks coming out the legs (when drying stick them in foam). When figure is dry I place the toothpicks in a piece of covered cardboad and then place that on the cake as a sort of topper. The cardboard helps to support the figure so it doesn't just topple over. I'm still working on my system and if anyone has any other ideas I would love to hear them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%