New Here!

Decorating By kmdrysdale Updated 2 Apr 2009 , 10:18pm by pastryjen

kmdrysdale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmdrysdale Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 12:52am
post #1 of 18

Ok Hello all you fine bakers I am VERY VERY new at cake decorating and i love it icon_biggrin.gif
I have done 3 small cakes and have researched lot. I am self taught so far because in my area there is no courses. Closes one is 1 hour away.

I have been looking at all the pictures and well i really have to hang my head LOL icon_cry.gif cuz your cakes are stunning and mine are well not so stunning lol But i know i will get better.

If you have any tips for a baby decorator i would love to hear them and i will be glued to this forum looking at all the wealth of info.
Well i just wanted to introduce myself and say hiicon_smile.gif

My name is Melissa and I am a mom of 3.

17 replies
Mme_K Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mme_K Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 2:38am
post #2 of 18

You've picked a great place to learn new things. There is a wealth of wonderful people here, who are always willing to help. Enjoy and just remember.....
This website is highly addictive!

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 3:05am
post #3 of 18

Hi Melissa and welcome to CC. Your going to love it here, everyone is very friendly and extremely helpful. We use a lot of acronyms here so I thought this link will be really helpful to start you off:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926.html

icon_smile.gif

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 3:14am
post #4 of 18

Hello and Welcome to CakeCentral! You are gonna love it here! Be sure to click on the warning in the upper left corner of the page, you will see one person's view of how addictive this place really is icon_wink.gif

Ask any question any time of day...someone is bound to answer...it may take a little time, but 99% of the time someone will answer!

Most questions have been asked and answered over and over, so the "search" feature is your friend.

By the way, everyone was new once, we all started out as baby decorators, and you will find every level of experience here. And it's all good!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 5:38am
post #5 of 18

Hi and Welcome to CC, kmdrysdale. icon_smile.gif

Everything you need to know to bake, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html
(Inlcudes popular CC recipes for: crusting American b/c, doctored cake mix (WASC) and fondant. And so much more.)

Look forward to seeing pics of your cakes!

SweetSweetCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSweetCreations Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 5:48am
post #6 of 18

It is a very addictive site but so helpful.

tjrobin31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tjrobin31 Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 6:03am
post #7 of 18

welcome to cc melissa,
as the pp stated it is very addictive, and helpful and all sorts of wonderful things,
so welcome and happy caking

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 1:48pm
post #8 of 18

Well *HI there!* Melissa icon_smile.gif
What part of the world do you live in?
I also lived (more than) an hour away from any supplies or classes when I started decorating........almost 30 yrs agoicon_smile.gif And back then we didn't have this wonderful media......the internet! icon_sad.gif
I hope you like to read! That's how you are going to learn on this site....
read, read, read ALL the posts and you will come away with so much knowledge your head will hurt and be spinning! icon_smile.gif

kmdrysdale Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 2:48pm
post #9 of 18

You guys are so kind here, to answer a few questions: I am from Manitoba, Canada. I do like to read when i am interested in it. I am right now in the process of making a bee hive cake and hoping it will look good I will post a picture when it is done. In my area there is really no one making cakes so this here will be my life lineicon_smile.gif Well thanks again everyone i am going to read all the links you gave and well probably lots more too lol

Melissa

bakery_chick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakery_chick Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 4:24pm
post #10 of 18

Good luck on the beehive and welcome to CC!!

kmdrysdale Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 7:30pm
post #11 of 18

Just added my first 2 cakes. So they should be up in about 30 mins

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 7:40pm
post #12 of 18

Hi Melissa,

Welcome to CC from another member in Canada...Calgary!!! You will love it here!!

Laurel icon_smile.gif

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 7:46pm
post #13 of 18

Hello Melissa! I am another member from Canada, in Southern Alberta! You will find all kinds of helpful stuff here, I love, love it!! I have learned so much in six months since I signed up!

kmdrysdale Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 7:52pm
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

Hi Melissa,

Welcome to CC from another member in Canada...Calgary!!! You will love it here!!

Laurel icon_smile.gif

I am planning a trip to Calgary this summer Hoping to camp but we will see, and for sure we are going to the Zooicon_smile.gif

Nice to see people from canada here too!

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 7:55pm
post #15 of 18

WELLCOME

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 7:55pm
post #16 of 18

Welcome, Melissa! You will learn more here than you can ever imagine! There are some very, very fine decorators who are also gifted with the graciousness of sharing their knowledge. Remember this: no question is "dumb." It might be that it has been asked here before, but it also might be that someone different is answering this time and; therefore, a whole new light/angle on the subject!

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 9:14pm
post #17 of 18

Welcome to our fun corner of the cake... You will find lots of interesting and helpful ideas here and some times we vent and feel alot better. You will soon become a cake dork like the rest of us.

Just to let you know for fun : I am from a small town in Ohio. USA.

Sometimes its fun to see were people are from that have commented on your cake. its fun to know they may be from the other side of the world.

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 10:18pm
post #18 of 18

Hello! Glad to meet you! I'm sure we'll see you here often!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%