Peanut Butter Icing

Decorating By starcitycakes Updated 2 Apr 2009 , 5:52pm by kansaswolf

starcitycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
starcitycakes Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 12:11am
post #1 of 17

Ok, I'm making a monkey cake this weekend and for the light brown part I thought about using Peanut Butter Icing. 1...will that taste ok with a yellow cake that is also covered in chocolate icing....2...if so does anyone have a good peanut butter icing recipe? I found one on here that I thought about using but would love to know if any of ya'll have a recipe that isn't posted here....TIA!!! Also thanks to Merrisa for inspiration.
LL

16 replies
SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 12:15am
post #3 of 17

I acutally did some cupcakes yesterday with peanut butter. I mixed it in with buttercream and it was delicious! I would recommend melting it in the microwave a bit and mixing it in. Don't use too much or it will get too thick. Just add a bit at a time.

josumiko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
josumiko Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 12:19am
post #4 of 17

I don't have a recipe for peanut butter icing, but it does sound like it would be an absolutely delicious combination that you are making!

bakery_chick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakery_chick Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 12:25am
post #5 of 17

I agree with Patticakesnc.
A little bit of melted peanut butter mixed into bc is delicious!! I do prefer regular, ole creamy--not any fancy stuff. I want the bc to be smooth in the end. My DH bought the "all natural" with the oil on top and it made the bc come out grainy.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 12:35am
post #6 of 17

Yeah I use Peterpan or Jif brands. It works great not grainy at all.

xbaber Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xbaber Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 12:42am
post #7 of 17

I've used http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Fluffy-Peanut-Butter-Frosting/Detail.aspx before as a filling under a MMF cake. It was super yummy. What attracted my attention was that there's a picture where someone used it to decorate a cake and even tinted it. I used some as a border, but it was a little too thin to look very good. Obviously you'll want to adjust the milk/water quantity to suit your needs.

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 12:43am
post #8 of 17

I just use my regular BC recipe, but substitute peanut butter for the butter. NO regular butter. You just have to make sure to whip it. Whip it good... icon_wink.gif

spunkybear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spunkybear Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 12:52am
post #9 of 17

Serious_Cakes......if it is half as good as some of your other frosting it has to be yummy!!!!!!!!!!! YOUR buttercream is now #1 on my list! I don't have any cakes to do this weekend but I am having 13 Girl Scouts here at my house for a weekend of "cooking camp" and I'm thinking something is going to covered in peanut butter frosting!!!! icon_lol.gif

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 12:56am
post #10 of 17

I just mix creamy PB into some of my already made IMBC to taste. Haven't used it on a cake yet, but it is one of the icing flavors on my very popular brownie bites.

cats242 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cats242 Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 1:12am
post #11 of 17

I used Serious_Cake's peanutbutter fluff buttercream this past weekend on a chocolate cake and it was WONDERFUL!

SeriousCakes Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 1:41am
post #12 of 17

Thank you!! I REALLY want to make it for us again but it's dangerous!! We literally can eat the entire cake in a 72 hour time frame icon_wink.gif

starcitycakes Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 2:13am
post #13 of 17

Serious..........your recipe is the one I was looking at. I have one question. Can I use regular milk instead of half and half? I mean I don't really want to go get a big thing if I'm only gonna use 3-5tbs.

Kansas, Patti and Bakery_Chic......If I add regular PB to BC will it change the color enough to get the shade I want?...Or I just keep adding until I think it's the right color??

And THANKS to everyone that has responded to this. Everyone is so much help on here.

SeriousCakes Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 2:22am
post #14 of 17

Yes you can use regular milk, you might not need the whole amount though, just add a tbs at a time until it's the consistency you want.

bakery_chick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakery_chick Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 1:56pm
post #15 of 17

Star,
I would add the pb to taste then add color if it needs to be darker. It should be a nice beigey color, but if you need it darker, add a little food coloring. Too much pb and it becomes more difficult to work with. IMHO

starcitycakes Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 2:03pm
post #16 of 17

Alright Thanks everyone.... I'll let ya'll know how things turn out.

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 5:52pm
post #17 of 17

Yes, by substituting the PB for the butter, it DOES make it harder to work with, but only if you don't mix it enough. Whip it on HIGH speed for a while and it should be fine. And it will be a light yellowish beigey color, so you would need to modify your color mixtures slightly to get the color you want... Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%