Peanut Butter Icing

Decorating By starcitycakes Updated 2 Apr 2009 , 5:52pm by kansaswolf

starcitycakes Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 12:11am
post #1 of 17

Ok, I'm making a monkey cake this weekend and for the light brown part I thought about using Peanut Butter Icing. 1...will that taste ok with a yellow cake that is also covered in chocolate icing....2...if so does anyone have a good peanut butter icing recipe? I found one on here that I thought about using but would love to know if any of ya'll have a recipe that isn't posted here....TIA!!! Also thanks to Merrisa for inspiration.
LL

16 replies
patticakesnc Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 12:15am
post #3 of 17

I acutally did some cupcakes yesterday with peanut butter. I mixed it in with buttercream and it was delicious! I would recommend melting it in the microwave a bit and mixing it in. Don't use too much or it will get too thick. Just add a bit at a time.

josumiko Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 12:19am
post #4 of 17

I don't have a recipe for peanut butter icing, but it does sound like it would be an absolutely delicious combination that you are making!

bakery_chick Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 12:25am
post #5 of 17

I agree with Patticakesnc.
A little bit of melted peanut butter mixed into bc is delicious!! I do prefer regular, ole creamy--not any fancy stuff. I want the bc to be smooth in the end. My DH bought the "all natural" with the oil on top and it made the bc come out grainy.

patticakesnc Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 12:35am
post #6 of 17

Yeah I use Peterpan or Jif brands. It works great not grainy at all.

xbaber Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 12:42am
post #7 of 17

I've used http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Fluffy-Peanut-Butter-Frosting/Detail.aspx before as a filling under a MMF cake. It was super yummy. What attracted my attention was that there's a picture where someone used it to decorate a cake and even tinted it. I used some as a border, but it was a little too thin to look very good. Obviously you'll want to adjust the milk/water quantity to suit your needs.

kansaswolf Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 12:43am
post #8 of 17

I just use my regular BC recipe, but substitute peanut butter for the butter. NO regular butter. You just have to make sure to whip it. Whip it good... icon_wink.gif

spunkybear Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 12:52am
post #9 of 17

Serious_Cakes......if it is half as good as some of your other frosting it has to be yummy!!!!!!!!!!! YOUR buttercream is now #1 on my list! I don't have any cakes to do this weekend but I am having 13 Girl Scouts here at my house for a weekend of "cooking camp" and I'm thinking something is going to covered in peanut butter frosting!!!! icon_lol.gif

prterrell Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 12:56am
post #10 of 17

I just mix creamy PB into some of my already made IMBC to taste. Haven't used it on a cake yet, but it is one of the icing flavors on my very popular brownie bites.

cats242 Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 1:12am
post #11 of 17

I used Serious_Cake's peanutbutter fluff buttercream this past weekend on a chocolate cake and it was WONDERFUL!

SeriousCakes Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 1:41am
post #12 of 17

Thank you!! I REALLY want to make it for us again but it's dangerous!! We literally can eat the entire cake in a 72 hour time frame icon_wink.gif

starcitycakes Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 2:13am
post #13 of 17

Serious..........your recipe is the one I was looking at. I have one question. Can I use regular milk instead of half and half? I mean I don't really want to go get a big thing if I'm only gonna use 3-5tbs.

Kansas, Patti and Bakery_Chic......If I add regular PB to BC will it change the color enough to get the shade I want?...Or I just keep adding until I think it's the right color??

And THANKS to everyone that has responded to this. Everyone is so much help on here.

SeriousCakes Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 2:22am
post #14 of 17

Yes you can use regular milk, you might not need the whole amount though, just add a tbs at a time until it's the consistency you want.

bakery_chick Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 1:56pm
post #15 of 17

Star,
I would add the pb to taste then add color if it needs to be darker. It should be a nice beigey color, but if you need it darker, add a little food coloring. Too much pb and it becomes more difficult to work with. IMHO

starcitycakes Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 2:03pm
post #16 of 17

Alright Thanks everyone.... I'll let ya'll know how things turn out.

kansaswolf Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 5:52pm
post #17 of 17

Yes, by substituting the PB for the butter, it DOES make it harder to work with, but only if you don't mix it enough. Whip it on HIGH speed for a while and it should be fine. And it will be a light yellowish beigey color, so you would need to modify your color mixtures slightly to get the color you want... Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%