Hi-Ratio Shortening

Decorating By aundrea Updated 2 Apr 2009 , 10:20pm by ceshell

aundrea Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 11:02pm
post #1 of 5

I have searched hi and low for this product and either people don't know what I'm talking about or the think its not manufactured anymore?!?
Anyways, I was at whole foods today and of coursed asked both the bakery dept. And store manager if they sold it. They didn't know what I was talking about.
But I did check out their shortening and their brand said its none-hydronated ?spelling and it looks like both their brand and the organic is made with palm oil. Their was also a vegtable oil shortening.
Has anyone ever tried their brand of shortening? Its very expensive for such a small container.
Also what's the difference between palm and vegtable shortening?
Thanks!

4 replies
ceshell Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 6:29am
post #2 of 5

It's a specialty product and you're not going to find it at a grocery store. Even less so at a Whole Foods since it is Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil (i.e. Trans Fat) which is kind of against what that store sells!

I have not tried the WF brand shortening, but there are many threads here on how the new Crisco, which is also 0 trans fat, can sometimes cause problems w/your icing. IndyDebi's recipe uses some Dream Whip (powdered whipping cream found in gelatin aisle) to put those TF back in LOL.

If you want Hi Ratio you can ask for it by name: Alpine or Sweetex. CK products makes it too, and also I recently read another thread where someone ORDERED it at their local GFS store, but they used the name "icing shortening"...it was some sort of Wesson specialty product (you could prob. find it in the forums by doing a search on keyword "Wesson".) However you will likely need to ask at a real cake supply store, or a restaurant supply store. Many people purchase it online, but shipping is crazy expensive and also many places won't ship in the summer (since it melts). I am fortunate to live in a big city where it is easy to track it down. If you buy a single pound at a time, expect it to run you about $3-5 a pound.

JanH Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 7:22am
post #3 of 5

Just what ceshell said. icon_smile.gif

Here's a link to indydebi's b/c made with Crisco and Dream Whip:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6992-Indydebis-Crisco-Based-Buttercream-Icing.html

HTH

aundrea Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 7:57pm
post #4 of 5

wow great info! im glad i asked before i purchased the whole foods brand. like i said its very expensive.
i did purchase a butter sold there (it was on sale) that said it is preferred by bakers, and now (because im not home) i cant remember the name. it began with a p... maybe prugeres or something like that.
so i will try it and see how that works.
i will also check out the link, thanks janh.
happy baking......and my search continues.

ceshell Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 10:20pm
post #5 of 5

Plugra! I use it all the time. It's dirt cheap at Trader Joe's, it's only like 50¢ more than their house (i.e. generic) brand of butter. You can use Land O Lakes instead; I believe it and Plugra have the same higher butterfat content (but don't quote me on that). Right now the Albertsons in my area have L.O.L. on sale for 2 for $5. My packages all had 55¢ off coupons on them so each pack of butter was $1.95. What a steal!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%