Fondant Accents Made Ahead?

Decorating By islandgirl72 Updated 2 Apr 2009 , 12:04am by islandgirl72

islandgirl72 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 10:54pm
post #1 of 5

I have a cake to do for a charity auction for the school here on Saturday. I am doing a 8" cake covered in MMF with a gumpaste loopy bow topper and MMF easter eggs on the sides. Like this one:
[url]
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1207965[/url]

I made the bow already and have the cakes in the freezer. I am wondering if I can make all the Easter eggs now for the sides of the cake? My 5 month old makes it hard to get much done all at once and so I am trying to spread the work out over a few days when she naps. Would I put them on a tray and cover it with cling wrap to stop them from drying out?

Thanks for any help you can give me icon_smile.gif

4 replies
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 11:58pm
post #2 of 5

You can make them ahead of time, then i wipe a very thin coat of shortening on the fondant and place them in a ziploc bag with the air pressed out. When you put them on the cake they will absorb some moisture from the cake and if they have firmed up, they will soften for you. I love the cake. Very cute.

kakeladi Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 12:01am
post #3 of 5

As she said, then put them in the fzr. OR in an air=tight container so they stay soft.

kakeladi Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 12:02am
post #4 of 5

As she said, then put them in the fzr. OR in an air=tight container so they stay soft.

islandgirl72 Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 12:04am
post #5 of 5

Thank you both so much! Off to crank out a batch of fondant icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%