I Think My Jaw Bounced Off The Floor On This One...

Decorating By Jayde Updated 2 Apr 2009 , 9:42pm by Jayde

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 10:53pm
post #1 of 8

Well, my son's 3rd bday was last weekend, and in the space of a week I went out of town for 3 days, he broke his hand, and after all of the urgent care/dr. visits and countless x-rays, plus my normal cake orders, I found I had NO time to make his birthday cake. icon_surprised.gif

So, I went to a bakery that I have done business with before. The owner is super sweet, and their cake decorator isnt terrible. I told her what I wanted and how many to feed and then added 6 cupcakes to my order. She only charged me $35 for 25 servings-ish and 6 cupcakes. icon_confused.gif

Well, I thought that since I was dealing with her, maybe she gave me a discount or something after I left cause that is waaaay less than what I charge. Well turns out I got a late rsvp, so I had to add 2 more cupcakes to the order. When I went in to pick everything up, I still had 2 cuppies to pay for. I knew the owner wasnt there, and I got one of the counter girls. She only charged me $1.14 for 2 CUPCAKES!!! icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gif

I am like WOAH! are you giving me a discount? No, she says thats the normal price. Sheesh, my cupcakes start at $2 per one or a dozen for $20. My prices have gone up since the cost of living has gone up over the past year or two, but I based my prices off of theirs and one other bakery close by when I started up.

I feel a little more powerful now icon_biggrin.gif .

7 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 11:03pm
post #2 of 8

This is interesting. In my small town there is 1 very well known bakery, they also have another storefront in Providence, RI.

The prices you quoted above are about what this bakery charges also. I'm not sure if they're trying to compete with the grocery store bakeries or Sam's, BJ's etc.

I'm a licensed home baker and I charge a LOT more per serving for my cakes and cupcakes. This is why I never understand the argument of the Bakeries out there saying that we "home bakers" are hurting them by undercutting their prices. icon_confused.gif The bakeries are undercutting me.

I'm pretty sure most licensed home bakers offer cakes that these type of shops wouldn't even consider doing. Not to mention my stuff is all from scratch and I offer a lot more flavor choices then they do.

To me it's like comparing apples to oranges, two completely different businesses.

They mass produce, I custom bake every single cake and cookie order.

I don't ever want to be compared with bakeries like this.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 2:20am
post #3 of 8

I had a woman tell me today that my quarter sheet cake and 2 layer 8" rounds were too pricy and people can get them at the grocery store for much less. I sell both those sizes for only $22 with basic BC decor, $27 if a kit, and $30 if custom with fondant decor. The ones she was referring to was the $22. Well the closest grocery store that does sell cakes is over 20 miles away from our rural area so they would pay more in gas for the difference. I was so pissed. I told her my cakes are nothing like a grocery store's and it was like comparing apples to oranges! Further, that my price isn't that much more. They sell theirs for $17, totally ticked by her statement.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 2:32am
post #4 of 8

I know it stinks to hear a customer say that but you should try not to let these type of people get to you.

When someone has the nerve to say something like that to me I politely say "My cakes are all freshly baked from scratch, I'm not a grocery store bakery."

Unfortunately some people will always go "cheap" and compromise quality, there's not much we can do about that.

Then there are the people that appreciate a great quality, freshly baked, beautiful custom cake, and they are willing to pay us for it...........those are the ones I want to be my clients.

The others can go to the grocery store bakeries.

kimmisue2009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmisue2009 Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 2:53am
post #5 of 8

I agree with dkelly - apples and oranges. I like the fact that this is a marketable, fun hobby. People in my area are astounded by these cakes - or maybe just astounded that I can do them. I am completely infatuated now with the whole process! Been caking about five weeks and am about to do my seventh cake, which is a poodle skirt cake. I am just tickled.

I know, I ramble. But seriously, everyone knows what goes into a cake. Ingredients are not that high. I use real butter, but only because I am not confident enough to branch out from my already battle-worn recipe!

I am so honored to have such a big part in these events for which I make my cakes. The customers really have no idea. And I see, now, that it's not hard to learn, but it will take years to get to the level I am looking to, and some folks just flat out-do anything I could ever conjure up. A custom-made, personal cake cannot be topped. My problem comes with charging people. Successful businesses are obviously charging for their time, which has much value. What I like about this medium is the low base cost that allows me to avail myself to anyone for anything. I want to be able to give any mommy or daddy anywhere the perfect cake for their child, or whoever. I can work it out with them. That's what's so great about the system - I can afford to decide to always be able to work with the costs. Every little girl should have the prettiest cake she has ever seen! And I would love to become the one who made it for her!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 3:14am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesdivine

.... and people can get them at the grocery store for much less.

It's right on my Dessert Cakes page on my website: "You won't find grocery store prices here .... but you wont' find these cakes at a grocery store, either!"

icantcook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icantcook Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 2:53pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Quote:

It's right on my Dessert Cakes page on my website: "You won't find grocery store prices here .... but you wont' find these cakes at a grocery store, either!"

Yet another DEBISM to add to my collection thumbs_up.gif

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 9:42pm
post #8 of 8

DEBISM! I love it!

I was just so shocked that an actual bakery charged that much. I dont do the grocery store cake thing. I went to an actual liscenced bakery, where the owner and I are acquaintenced with one another. And they sell their cupcakes 2 for $1.14.

I havent ordered in awhile, I wonder if they reduced their prices because of the economic crisis or if they just havent had a price adjustment in like the last 5 years. It makes me curious.

I havent read about anyone here lowering their prices just because of the recession, but maybe there are a couple out there??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%