Kopykake Projector, I Think I'm Ready To Buy, Please Advise!

Baking By chilz822 Updated 7 Apr 2009 , 2:26pm by chilz822

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 9:15pm
post #1 of 16

OK, you all have done a wonderful job in helping to get me totally hooked on cookies! (Enablers, all of you!!!) icon_biggrin.gif

So... Kopykake 300XK? Is that what I want? Are there less expensive alternative ones out there? Do you have problems with your own shadows being in the way? Does this come exactly as shown, with the rod, I see that there's a seperate purchase but it looks like it might be an extra one...

I am inspired by so many of you, and I've really been playing, but I really want to be able to do some advanced artwork and my freehand is not the best... and I FEAR lettering!

15 replies
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 9:31pm
post #2 of 16

I'm going to be watching this thread because it was this other thread here that got me all excited to buy one! http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-622860-45-days0-orderasc-.html

Lovelymeets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovelymeets Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 9:33pm
post #3 of 16

Hi
Even i am in the market to buy a projector to trace designs onto my cakes, but the only reason i m refraining myself from buying kopykake is because of its inability to be connected to my laptop.
I would love to directly project the desgin from my laptop onto the cake, just like regualar projectors. Any ideas on this one.
Thanks

chilz822 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 9:42pm
post #4 of 16

ooohhhhh.... connecting directly to the computer would be WONDERFUL!

BTW, I found the projector here for $179 instead of $225 and it looks like since it's over $175, shipping is free! And... on the checkout page, there's a coupon code for an additional 10% off!

Now when you all click over to buy one, make sure you save me one!

http://www.jerrysartarama.com/discount-art-supplies/Projectors-and-Lightboxes/KopyKake-Projectors/KopyKake-300XK-Projector.htm

chilz822 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 10:00pm
post #5 of 16

OK, if you use the coupon code, it takes ithe cost below the level to get free shipping.. but.. it's still about $2 cheaper with the code and paying $15.95 for shipping (you can also expedite for $5 additional)

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 2:19am
post #6 of 16

If you're patient you willbe able to get a projector on ebay. Ihave both, the 300KX and the K1000. either work well. using the 300 you may have to turn off the light to see better, depending on how much natural light you have in the room. the 1000 can be used with the light on but i still prefer to turn it off. sometimes your hand will be inthe way, but you just come at it from a differant angle. i always use it for writing whether on cakes or cookies.

chilz822 Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 2:23am
post #7 of 16

Good to know, and thank you.
Now, I've never been known to be patient when I want something, it's a flaw! I ordered it tonight, $177 with discount and shipping, I've been buried in ebay all week and just decided to go for it. Heck, I still saved more than $50 with shipping, so I'm happy... now we'll see if I'm still happy once it gets here!

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 2:27am
post #8 of 16

If you're patient you willbe able to get a projector on ebay. Ihave both, the 300KX and the K1000. either work well. using the 300 you may have to turn off the light to see better, depending on how much natural light you have in the room. the 1000 can be used with the light on but i still prefer to turn it off. sometimes your hand will be inthe way, but you just come at it from a differant angle. i always use it for writing whether on cakes or cookies.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 12:11pm
post #9 of 16

I'm not sure which model KopyKake I have, but I love mine! (The woman who taught me how to decorate cakes was switching to manufacturing her icing, so she gave me her projector...can't beat free!) I use the projector for doing all my lettering on cakes. My greatest fear has always been to run out of cake before getting to the end of the message.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 12:20pm
post #10 of 16

I also have a kopykake 300XK for about 4 years now and I love it!! Since I do alot of kid's cakes they always want some sort of logo etc and my freehand is lousy so it really helps.It really was one of the best investments.I just print a picture from the web and make sure it is the right size for the projecter and Viola!!!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 12:33pm
post #11 of 16

Can the 300XK shrink a picture small enough to do pattern transfer on a cookie? Or does that need a special tool in addition to the projector itself?

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 1:03pm
post #12 of 16

Yes..I also do cookies..The lense inverts and becomes smaller on one end for small cookies.You have to play around with the focus but I have never had a problem!

chilz822 Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 2:47pm
post #13 of 16

Wowwii... I can't wait til it arrives now! You are all bad, bad people and my bank account curses you all daily!!!
icon_biggrin.gif
Shame on you all for being so darned helpful, knowledgable, and generous with your expertise and information!!

chilz822 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 4:59am
post #14 of 16

WooHoo, today is the 6th and the projector I ordered on the 1st is here already! The place was terrible for customer communication, but it got here lightning fast! Now, I just need some time off to try it out!

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 11:53am
post #15 of 16

If you're like me, you won't know how you got along without it!

chilz822 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 2:26pm
post #16 of 16

I'm, sure I will be! A thought hit me this morning too.... I'm in the middle of modeling these little figures for a cake this weekend, they're called UBFunkeys (a kids toy that connects and interacts with the computer). All the Funkey's have different faces (pretty simple faces) and freehand scares the beejeezus out of me! Even though their heads are round, you can bet I'm gonna try to project the faces onto my modlels heh

http://ubfunkeys.thespeakeasy.com/characters/

If I pull this off, I'll be in LOVE with it! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%