Difference In Tylose

Decorating By cheeseball Updated 3 Apr 2009 , 1:34am by JenniferMI

cheeseball Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 8:03pm
post #1 of 6

I've always used Tylose C by Jem Cutters and I use Nic Lodge's sugarpaste recipe (yes, I call it sugarpaste 'cause I figure the main ingredient is sugar, so...and then I heard Ron Ben Israel say the same thing, so I guess I'm not the only one who thinks like a literal minded 6 year old icon_lol.gif ) anyway...my sis just sent me some today and this Tylose is from CK Products. I only made half a batch because I'm waiting for my powdered sugar supplier to clear a shipment through customs, joy icon_rolleyes.gif (I have no idea why I'm blathering on today icon_lol.gif ).

I didn't need any of the powdered sugar that you normally set aside when kneading the sugarpaste (and it's 91 degrees and super humid today - dear God in heaven), and although I think I'll be able to use it, it was very dry and stiff. I don't know why I thought this, but I always thought it was manufactured in one place and although I was surprised when I got the package, I just figured that there were different distributors, but it would be the same product. I presume this means that I need to use less next time icon_wink.gif, but I just wanted to know if anyone else has noticed a difference in brands.

5 replies
SpringFlour Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 6:04am
post #2 of 6

I can't help too much, but I have the CK Products brand and I've found that you only need a TEENY bit to get the desired results. I've not used any other brand, since this is what my close cake store carries. Good luck next time! icon_smile.gif

PinkZiab Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 1:32pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeseball

yes, I call it sugarpaste 'cause I figure the main ingredient is sugar, so...and then I heard Ron Ben Israel say the same thing

I can't really help, because I've always used Chef Rubber CMC, but I had to comment because when Chef Ron taught our flower making lcass in culinary school, he was ADAMANT that it NOT be called "gum paste." We were warned about this by other chefs--to NOT call it gumpaste around Chef Ron--he prefers sugar paste or even FLOWER paste. If you did say gum paste in his class he sort of shot you a look until you corrected yourself lol. He's was SO much fun!

kakeladi Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 1:42pm
post #4 of 6

I'm w/the OP.....I always thought Tylose was Tylose, just different distributors.
This should be an interesting thread - if someone can really answer this query icon_smile.gif

JenniferMI Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 1:33am
post #5 of 6

I use Nics recipe all the time and CK Products tylose. I only put about 5 cups of sugar in the recipe and throw the fat in at the very end of the mixing. Works GREAT!

We use this in all my classes.

Sweet regards,

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

JenniferMI Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 1:34am
post #6 of 6

I use Nics recipe all the time and CK Products tylose. I only put about 5 cups of sugar in the recipe and throw the fat in at the very end of the mixing. Works GREAT!

We use this in all my classes.

Sweet regards,

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%