Surprise! My First Order!

Decorating By PianoDiva Updated 1 Apr 2009 , 8:11pm by luvsfreebies72

PianoDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PianoDiva Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 6:59pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone,

I've been baking/decorating for fun for years, and two days ago got my first real--as in PAYING--order! I don't even know how much to quote this lady; we know each other from our kids' school and she wants 26 cupcakes for her son's 2nd grade class Easter party. I have no idea what to charge her; what's the going rate for cupcakes these days? She's thinking of arranging them into a cross shape for Easter; that's the only design idea I have from her because she says whatever I come up with is fine with her. They're due on April 8th.

Oh, and we're in CA if that helps with pricing. Thanks so much!

--PianoDiva

5 replies
JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 7:06pm
post #2 of 6

I have no pricing advice for you, I just wanted to congratulate you on becoming a professional!!!! thumbs_up.gif

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 7:08pm
post #3 of 6

I remember seeing another post asking about cupcake prices. I think I remember a lot of people saying $2.50 each to start. Please don't kill me if I'm wrong though! If you don't get a lot of replies here, try posting in the cupcake threadicon_smile.gif

bakery_chick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakery_chick Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 7:19pm
post #4 of 6

Welcome PianoDiva!
I am in Cali too. Around here (30 miles east of L.A.) cupcakes go from $.69/each --competitor's price to $1.50/each --my price. I am sure some of the nicer bakeries even charge more. Sprinkles downtown charges $4 to $6. I would check out the bakeries closest to you.

PianoDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PianoDiva Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 8:00pm
post #5 of 6

Hi everyone,

That's just it; there ARE no bakeries nearby where we live. Well, there are two major grocery store chains within 13 miles and two real bakeries about 20 miles away. Anyway, the grocery stores' bakeries (I used to work in one of them) charge $1.29 for their gourmet cupcakes. They taste like gourmet doggie doody! Anyway, I was thinking of $1.50 to $2 per cupcake because I was going to to the tops either in edible glitter or mini fondant crosses (our kids go to a Christian school) painted with pearl dust. I'll have to be sure to post pics when I'm done. icon_smile.gif

--PianoDiva

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 8:11pm
post #6 of 6

I know of a woman in South Orange County that charges a lot more than the prices quoted here for cupcakes. Hers are mostly fondant work and custom designs. Minimum of $2.50 per cupcake I believe for a basic cupcake, no filling, standard icing and a basic cupcake swirl. The fondant work takes it up to $3 minimum. I recently had someone ask me how much they could expect to pay for a similar type of cupcake - 50 cupcakes, safari animal theme with 3 different animals and the cupcake tops are the animal faces. They about fell out of their chair when I told them they could probably expect to pay $5 each.

If it were me, I would price them the same way. Which means it's $2.50 per serving for a basic cupcake, which is a bargain if it were 1 large cake, kwim?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%