Help!!! Omg...sagging Gumpaste....

Decorating By Momkiksbutt Updated 16 Apr 2009 , 8:06pm by Momkiksbutt

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 6:47pm
post #1 of 11

OK, I am getting really frustrated here. It seems that my gumpaste roses I'm making have a really bad case of the runs........:/

I need some advise quick everyone!! Here's the problem: I place the petals on, and it doesn't matter which "glue" method I use, as soon as I hang them to dry they start sliding downward and they end up looking like someone put them in a Dr. Suess story!!

Stretched off the bud and the centers sunken. I've tried using both egg white and dissolved gum paste as "glue", but I get the same result every time.

Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong???? And I am wiping all the excess moisture off the brush that I can before applying it too.....

And I'm having issues with frayed petal edges too. I just don't know what I am doing wrong.

I have to get these done, I've got over a hundred to make and only a few weeks to get them all done. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks everyone!!

10 replies
lisa5573 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisa5573 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 7:01pm
post #2 of 11

Sorry to hear about your problems. Have you tried using more gumpaste and less water to make the gum glue? Also, is your gumpaste too soft? Too humid in the area you're working?

Did you let the centers of the roses dry completely before putting on the petals? That was the way I was taught to make them.

With the frayed edges, maybe try to not push as hard with the ball tool to flatten the edges (sorry I don't know what it's called). Mine would fray if I pushed too hard.

Good luck.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 7:15pm
post #3 of 11

I let each stage of my rose dry before adding the next layer of petals. I have never been successful at making them all at once.

Also it sounds like you are using to much gum glue, you need it to be barely there.

And lastly are you sure they are that bad? my guess is they aren't as bad as you think they are.

Momkiksbutt Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 9:49pm
post #4 of 11

Thanks for the good advise....I should have charged my client way more than I did now that I know just how labor intensive this is....hmmm

Drying between layers...DOH...why didn't i think of that?????? I will try and get as much excess out of the brush before I apply it and see if that helps too.

As far as humidity goes...I live in Auburn, WA....less than 8 miles from the Puget Sound....we haven't seen the sun longer than 18 hours at once since about October....so yeah....humidity is a big problem....:/

Thanks guys!

peg818 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 11:19pm
post #5 of 11

When i have alot of flowers to do, i do all the centers then let them dry overnight, then i do the first petals, and by the time i get to the end the first ones are dry and i can go back and do the next layer. I usually work on a couple of dozen roses at a time, when i do them.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 6:46am
post #6 of 11

That is so weird. I live on the Gulf Coast and have humidity here too, and I make my GP roses from start to finish, one at a time, and have never had the problem you described. Perhaps this thread will help you: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-622934-0-days0-orderasc-.html

Momkiksbutt Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 8:14am
post #7 of 11

Ok, I finally took some pics of my roses so you can all take a look and tell me what I am doing wrong.....
LL

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 8:38am
post #8 of 11

I don't make flowers myself but I remember seeing on one of the FN Challenges someone making them and hanging them upside down to dry.

peg818 Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 9:02am
post #9 of 11

they really aren't bad the centers look great, then i see where you start to loose it as you get to the larger outside petals, but don't give up you are well on your way.

First Hanging upside down will certainly help.

Stagger your petals as you get outside and just cause you have larger cutters doesn't mean you need to use them. Roll your paste very thin for realistic looking flowers you should be able to nearly read through the paste especially white paste.

Use more petals on the outside.

And the biggest help that i have done is to, roll those outer petals and let set up a bit (you still want them pliable) in teaspoons (yes the ones you eat out of) IF you want the outside petals to curl back then let the petal set over the top edge of the spoon.

And for a really realistic looking flower start with darker paste in the center of the flower, then as you work your way out add more white paste until you complete your flower, for white flowers start with an ivory and keep adding white until the flower is nearly white.

You can see some of my roses in my picts to get a better understanding of what i'm doing. Just realize they don't happen overnight, sometimes it takes a long time to get those flowers to where you want them. And take all the advice you get and develop a method that works for you

Don't forget to have fun!!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 16 Apr 2009 , 8:06pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks soo much for the great advise!! I'm going to try and use all of it to my best ability!! Wish me luck!

icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%