Please Help, Chocolate Fondant ?

Decorating By LauraLanier Updated 2 Apr 2009 , 11:40am by LauraLanier

LauraLanier Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 5:42pm
post #1 of 11

Do you think I substitute Wilton choc. candy melts for semi sweet chocolate in Michelle Fosters fondant? Any help or opinions are so appreciated, thanks Laura

10 replies
LauraLanier Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 8:16pm
post #2 of 11

Anyone??????

Michellers Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 10:56pm
post #3 of 11

I don't know if the way I do it is the "right" way. But I make a batch of fondant and a batch of chocolate candy clay and combine them. I just looked up her Update Fondant recipe on here and it say you can add semi-sweet chocolate to the corn syrup to make chocolate fondant. HTH!

LauraLanier Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 11:04pm
post #4 of 11

I will look up candy clay and see if I have the ingredients and try it. Thanks for the reply, I really wanted to try to make a chocolate fondant but didn't want to waste a bunch of ingredients if I can help it. icon_smile.gif

Michellers Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 11:08pm
post #5 of 11

You're welcome and good luck!

gerripje Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 11:25pm
post #6 of 11

I put melted chocolate in when it was time to add the butter and I think I either used too much or something. Also, I put a bunch of brown paste colour and used a little less glycerin. The fondant is like fudge! It doesn't hold any shape, it cracks, and when I roll it out it tears. It tastes really good though.

Momkiksbutt Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 11:38pm
post #7 of 11

Here's how to make the best chocolate fondant on the planet....people tell me mine tastes like tootsie rolls!

Using the marshmellow fondant recipe, add 1/2 cup dutched cocoa and 1/4 cup special dark cocoa(Hershey's brand only), in place of the same amount of confectioners sugar. You also need to add about a tablespoon of shortening. I usually add the shortening to the water/marshmellow mix in the beginning, melting them together.

Here's pic of the last cake I made using it, so you can see what it looks like.
LL

LauraLanier Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 11:48pm
post #8 of 11

Wow, we love tootsie rolls icon_redface.gif I thought maybe I could just melt those. I just got through making the candy clay like Michellers suggested and mixed it with a bit of mmf and so far so good, it feels nice but still warm, I am going to let it rest until tomorrow and see if it works for me. I will def. try your recipe Momkiksbutt, thanks for sharing icon_biggrin.gif

Michellers, How long do you let your fondant rest and how do you reheat it?

Michellers Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 3:01am
post #9 of 11

I usually just let it sit in the fridge over night. I usually end up remembering to take it out of the fridge about an hour before I intend to work with it. I don't usually heat it though. I divide it into sections and kneed it until it's the way I like it and then incorporate it all back together.

I like using the candy clay because it's such a dark brown color I don't need to add any coloring. And if I want it lighter, I just add more fondant to it. So far it's worked well for me.

xstitcher Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 3:38am
post #10 of 11

I used Ghirardelli white chocolate chips and added the melted chocolate to the mixture at the appropriate place (I don't have recipe in front of me right now). I did not make to separate candy clay first. I don't think it should be a problem using the Wilton Candy Melts though. Michele has added a page on her website to answer several questions that she has been asked so everything's all in one place. Here's her site with the info:

http://www.thesugarfixtoo.com/fondant.html

LauraLanier Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 11:40am
post #11 of 11

Thanks Michellers, I let a piece dry overnight to see how it would do and it is still a little soft(it probably doesn't help that it rained all night), I am going to try to roll it out and cover my cake this morning. I can't wait to go to that site xsticher, thanks for the info. Thanks again everyone icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%