What Would You Do??

Decorating By jouj Updated 3 Apr 2009 , 2:27pm by jouj

jouj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jouj Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 5:14pm
post #1 of 19

What would you do if you made ALL your cakes, icings and fondant from scratch, of course, using the BEST and most expensive ingredients, then you hear people saying: "Oh, her cakes are made out of Betty Crocker mixes"!!! (not even doctored)!!!!!!!! icon_mad.gificon_mad.gif
3 of my friends told me they heard this during the past year, I wonder how many more heard it too, but didn't tell me.

At first I didn't care, but now it's started getting on my nerves!!!

My first reaction was: Oh, I bet these persons, either NEVER tasted my cakes, or they NEVER tasted Betty Crocker's. I have nothing against Betty Crocker's mixes, in fact my husband says they're the best cakes in the world, but it's irritating when you go through the trouble of making cakes from scratch instead of just using a mix.
icon_sad.gif

18 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 5:29pm
post #2 of 19

Well.....I'd be irritated since I hate boxed mixes. It's a personal preference....nothing more, but I really do hate the flavor and texture of boxed mixes.

But what can you do? Advertise that your cakes are made from scratch, but that's about it. And take the opportunity to educate those who say otherwise.

bakery_chick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakery_chick Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 5:29pm
post #3 of 19

Don't let them get you down!! Just keep letting people know that you make everything from scratch. Word will get around, and some people's petty jealousy won't be able to mar your good name!!
You might want to mention to your friends that you hope if they hear that they would correct the speaker. An "actually her cakes are all made from scratch which is why they taste soooo good" might be in order.

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 5:38pm
post #4 of 19

Do you advertise that you are a scratch baker? That would seem like the best way to get the truth out there. Also, I would ask my friends to politely inform anyone who says this that they are mistaken.

jouj Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 6:17pm
post #5 of 19

Thanks for your replies.
They're not letting me down, but it's irritating after all my efforts. I actually tell ALL my new customers that I bake from scratch, and that my cakes are 100% homemade, not commercial.
Maybe I'm just upset because the last one I heard was today. icon_sad.gif
I hope tomorrow I'll feel better. icon_smile.gif

juleebug Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 6:50pm
post #6 of 19

Have some cake... it makes everything better. birthday.gif

jouj Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 7:39pm
post #7 of 19

juleebug: mmmmmmm I wish I could, I have no cake now, and I started dieting 5 days ago icon_cry.gif
I soooo wish I could have a piece of tiramissu, or chocolate fudge.

juleebug Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 12:17am
post #8 of 19

I wish I knew how to make a good tiramisu. I have a new client who just moved from Alaska and she said she purchases at least one per month for her husband. I've been looking but there are SO MANY different versions I have no idea where to start. icon_confused.gif

sahrow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sahrow Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 2:56pm
post #9 of 19

There are many recipes and types of Tiramisu! Here is one I translated while living in Italy. I tend to dip the lady fingers very quickly and only on one side. I don't like when they get soggy! I also make it a day ahead so it can sit in the fridge and meld flavors. This also gives the ladyfingers a chance to distribute the liquids and they have more of a cake texture rather than being soggy.

Oh... and it literally translates to "Pick me up". Tira (verb tirare)= pick/ pluck, mi= me, su= up... lol... espresso, chocolate and alcohol... definitely a pick-me-up!

Tiramisu.
Eggs- 3 large, separated
Sugar- ½ cup
Mascarpone- 2 tubs- 8 ounces each
Espresso - 1 cup (very strong coffee can be substituted)
Cognac or brandy, 2 tbsp ((I use Chambord Liquore instead))
Savoiardi (lady fingers, toasted)
Cocoa- 1/8 cup

1.  Combine 3 egg yolks, 1 tbsp. Espresso, sugar and Cognac into the large mixing bowl.
2.   Beat 2 to 3 minutes
3.  Add mascarpone and beat 3-5 minutes until consistency is smooth.
4.  in another bowl, beat egg whites until it forms stiff peaks
5.  gently fold into mascarpone mixture
6.  Pour rest of espresso into a flat dish. Dip one side of each savoiardi and layer on bottom of serving dish.
7.  Spread 1/3 of mascarpone mixture and sprinkle with cocoa
8.  continue layering and finish with mascarpone layer
9.  sprinkle and refrigerate at least an hour before serving.

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 3:21pm
post #10 of 19

Brenda... thanks for the tiramisu recipe.. icon_biggrin.gif I have eaten tiramisu many times.. loved it, and I never knew that it contained RAW eggs.... is that correct?? icon_eek.gif

juleebug Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 3:24pm
post #11 of 19

Brenda - YOU'RE AN ANGEL! Sounds scrumptious!

sahrow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sahrow Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 3:38pm
post #12 of 19

Yes, it has raw eggs... BUT I tell myself that the alcohol will kill anything in the egg. *lol* Seroiusly, though, I've never had any problems with it.

There are other recipes that have a cooked custard sort of filling, but this one is so much easier and I haven't found a cooked one that has the right texture. Well, there was some at one restaurant in Rome, but they wouldn't give up the recipe. icon_sad.gif

juleebug Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 3:39pm
post #13 of 19

Brenda - YOU'RE AN ANGEL! Sounds scrumptious!

CakesByLJ Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 4:55pm
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahrow

Yes, it has raw eggs... BUT I tell myself that the alcohol will kill anything in the egg. *lol* Seroiusly, though, I've never had any problems with it.

There are other recipes that have a cooked custard sort of filling, but this one is so much easier and I haven't found a cooked one that has the right texture. Well, there was some at one restaurant in Rome, but they wouldn't give up the recipe. icon_sad.gif

Thanks Brenda... I wonder if the Pasturized eggs would be a safer choice. Heck, I've eaten worse things than raw eggs in my life I am sure.. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

juleebug Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 5:09pm
post #15 of 19

I have NO IDEA why my remark re-posted 15 minutes later. Can't delete it either. Odd...

jouj Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 10:58pm
post #16 of 19

Some people make tiramissu with cream instead of mascarpone, and no eggs, but needless to say, the taste is so different.

What are "pasteurized eggs"??

solascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solascakes Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 11:13pm
post #17 of 19

That recipe sounds very nice and temping, but I cannot eat raw eggs so...........

CakesByLJ Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 11:51pm
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jouj

Some people make tiramissu with cream instead of mascarpone, and no eggs, but needless to say, the taste is so different.

What are "pasteurized eggs"??

I quote... icon_lol.gif

PASTEURIZATION kills bacteria present in food. As long as cross-contamination does not occur (from hands, utensils or other foods) pasteurized foods should be safe for even those in high risk groups.

The process of pasteurization can be done at home, if you are interested, google it.. icon_biggrin.gif I personally take the risk for my family only.. I still make real egg white meringue, and the occasional hollindaise sauce. Statistically, only one egg in 20,000 might contain the bacteria salmonella. I will definately try your tiramisu.. it sounds wonderful.. icon_smile.gif

jouj Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 2:27pm
post #19 of 19

I quote... icon_lol.gif

PASTEURIZATION kills bacteria present in food. As long as cross-contamination does not occur (from hands, utensils or other foods) pasteurized foods should be safe for even those in high risk groups.

The process of pasteurization can be done at home, if you are interested, google it.. icon_biggrin.gif I personally take the risk for my family only.. I still make real egg white meringue, and the occasional hollindaise sauce. Statistically, only one egg in 20,000 might contain the bacteria salmonella. I will definately try your tiramisu.. it sounds wonderful.. icon_smile.gif

[/quote]

Thanks for your reply.
I made the cream, eggless Tiramissu once, it was just fine, but last month, my neighbor sent me a piece of SOOOOOO YUMMY Tiramisu, after I ate it, I knew that it was made with raw eggs and mascarpone.

I'm extremely cautious with raw eggs, because a few years ago, my daughter and I both caught Salmonella, and we never knew from where we got it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%