Making A Camaro Cake- Want Working Headlights..i Need Help!!

Decorating By lovepug4 Updated 13 Jun 2009 , 1:45am by KimLynnC

lovepug4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovepug4 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 5:03pm
post #1 of 25

My boyfriends birthday is next Tuesday, so I have 6 days to figure this out and finish it. I am going to make him a 3D hand carved '99 Camaro and really want to add working headlights. I have manipulated an old string of Christmas lights so that there are two bulbs and a long wire to connect to a battery, and they work. I have read that to insert them into the cake I should have them inside a tube. The problem is, I don't have a tube, and none of the stores that I can find around me have food grade tubes for purchase. Has anyone done this? I need suggestions on how I can get this to work safely. Thank you! icon_confused.gifbirthday.gif

24 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 5:18pm
post #2 of 25

i would think you could use some pipe from the plumbing bit of a diy store. maybe not exactly food safe, but i doubt youd find any that is. and if it was my cake, since it would just be for me and my bf, id wash it, and go with it!
xx

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 5:33pm
post #3 of 25

Could you use a bubble tea straws? If not and you do use plumbing, perhaps you could wrap it in aluminum or maybe gumpaste so it doesn't actually touch the cake.

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 5:39pm
post #4 of 25

I'd go with the straws as they would be a little more rigid. If you want flexible, use the clear hose that you can get at places like Ace hardware or McCoy's. It's inexpensive and wonderfully flexible. Just wash it good before you use it to get the dust off and you're good to go.

Hope this helps!

pattigunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattigunter Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 5:41pm
post #5 of 25

Straws?

amberc75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberc75 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 5:41pm
post #6 of 25

They have small lights in the cake/wedding stuff at Wal-Mart. There are two to a package, battery operated, and they make great headlights.

I used them for a John Deere cake I made one time. They're really cool.

lovepug4 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 5:48pm
post #7 of 25

I will look at Walmart, I hope mine has those lights, that would be more ideal, I dont know if I am very comfortable running wire through my very first cake. I will check when I get out of work to see if I can find them. Thanks to all of those who have already given suggestions. I will definitely try all of those options. More suggestions are always welcome icon_smile.gif

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 5:54pm
post #8 of 25

Amber--is there an on/off switch with the Walmart lights?

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 6:13pm
post #9 of 25

You can pick up these at any hobby shop that carries model car making materials. There are LED battery operated ones as well. Those last longer and look more like the real thing. Just pick up a phone book or do an online search to find your nearest store.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 6:54pm
post #10 of 25

aquarium tubing???

taxlady1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taxlady1 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 7:22pm
post #11 of 25

thumbs_up.gif I agree with Amber75 the Wal Mart lights should work great. You will need to use a straw or some type of tube to slide them in and out of to turn the lights on and off. Be sure to post pics!!!!

lovepug4 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 7:55pm
post #12 of 25

Thank you everyone for your wonderful suggestions. I have two options at the moment. A craft store near my college campus sells mighty bright mini tap lights which would work perfectly, but they are $11. My other option is $3 light up stars (off of earrings) from the party store. I think I will check the cheaper ones out first and if they don't look like they will work well, I will pick up the mighty bright ones. I cant find the lights on the Walmart website, but I have one near me so I can run by there and check too. I really appreciate all the help on here. I will definitely take tons of pictures and post them. Ive never made a cake other than the kinds that you bake in a rectangle and decorate with icing. I think this will be a blast! icon_biggrin.gif

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 8:14pm
post #13 of 25

I can't wait to see it!!!!!! I know he will love it!!!!!!!!
(and let us know how you do the lights!!!) icon_wink.gif

amberc75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberc75 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 8:17pm
post #14 of 25

Honestly, I'm not sure if you can turn them off or not. I think they last 4-6 hours maybe.... I turned them on and popped them in right before I delivered. They loved it.

They don't have any wires either... which is great!

Yeah, they probably wouldn't be on the website, but they should be in the store. My boyfriend has a racecar, and I made a cake for him a few years ago replicating said cake... I only wish I had them then. When I put them in the John Deere cake, he was more excited than I was.

I was thinking about picking up one to use in a lighthouse cake. It won't turn or flash, but it'll light up! I think it would be pretty cool, if I do say so myself.... ha ha!!

SweetMelissa2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMelissa2007 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 8:24pm
post #15 of 25

I got little LED lights at Walmart that they also have at craft stores like AC Moore and Michaels. They are individual lights that you twist to turn on and can then stick into the cake. My thought was to use PVC pipe from a hardware store. I've seen them use PVC on Ace of Cakes a bunch of times-just make sure it's clean. icon_smile.gif

lovepug4 Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 3:39am
post #16 of 25

Again, thank you everyone for the help. I actually went to check at walmart, and I found the 12 pack of the lights that you are talking about. They look like they are going to work great. I will definitely post pictures when I am done. I hope I dont mess up the cake though, I really have never sculpted something so delicate. I am excited to get started!!! icon_biggrin.gif

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 12:59pm
post #17 of 25

lovepug--how big are these lights, and were they in wedding or crafts? Did you say they aren't on Walmart.com? Our Wallyworld is in the process of growing up to be a Super Walmart and everything is a big mess.

Justbeck101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justbeck101 Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 1:44pm
post #18 of 25

You can buy pretty much everything you need including lights, wiring and the switch to turn them off and on at Radio Shack.

lovepug4 Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 3:47pm
post #19 of 25

The lights are maybe a little longer than a half inch but they shine brightly. They are perfect for what I am trying to do, no wires, no mess! icon_smile.gif I think I am going to enclose them in fondant and I may find something to go over the top but I dont think I need to. I had no idea that I could find them at walmart! It was a great suggestion, so thank you! I went right to the wedding section and they were right there. icon_biggrin.gif

Justbeck101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justbeck101 Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 4:50pm
post #20 of 25

Radio shack also has lights that have no wires and they have different color ones.

lovepug4 Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 7:48pm
post #21 of 25

Unfortunately it looks like I may need to scrap the idea for now. I started to buy some of what I need and already it has cost $40 and that would normally be fine, but I just got a call today that my contract that I put on a house has been approved. I think I am going to need to take what I got back for now and give this a go once everything is set with the house. Thanks again to everyone! I am disappointed, I really wanted to do this project and I wanted to have pictures to share. I definitely will eventually make a cake, and then I will post pictures.

lovepug4 Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 1:59pm
post #22 of 25

Ok, I have changed my mind again. My heart is too set on making this cake, I dont think I can give it up. I am going to attempt to make it anyways, so I should have pictures to post soon. icon_smile.gif

lovepug4 Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 12:56am
post #23 of 25

YAY!!! The camaro is complete! I used the lights from walmart and they look awesome!! I am so excited for him to see his cake!!
I am posting pictures now. please look!! This is my first cake ever and I was brave and used fondant. I had trouble rolling it thin so the pieces are heavy causing it to droop more than planned, but it still looks awesome. I think this is going to be my new hobby!! icon_smile.gif
[/img]

archanac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
archanac Posted 7 Apr 2009 , 2:15pm
post #24 of 25

I'm glad you decided to go through with the cake. You did an excellent job and the headlights look awesome! You did a very impressive job for this to have been your first time working with fondant. I'm sure your boyfriend loved it.

KimLynnC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimLynnC Posted 13 Jun 2009 , 1:45am
post #25 of 25

Wow your cake looks pretty good. I am making a z28 camaro cake for my fiance's groom cake at our wedding. I never thought about the headlights, thats a good idea.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%