The Siding Of My Cakes Comes Out Dark. What Am I Doing Wrong

Baking By miasuzzette Updated 1 Apr 2009 , 6:32pm by SUELA

miasuzzette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miasuzzette Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 4:32pm
post #1 of 16

icon_sad.gif I get my cake Pans ready, I spray it with Cake release & When the Cake is done. The siding comes our dark, Not with that nice Golden color. Am I doing sometime wrong & What. Am I putting to much Cake release. Please, Help icon_cry.gif Thanks for responding, Have a Good day. thumbs_up.gif

Thank You
Margie From Ct

15 replies
Jaimelt76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaimelt76 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 4:42pm
post #2 of 16

I'm not sure why that happens as this happens to all of mine as well. I would love to know if I'm doing something wrong as well. Jaime

wverbest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wverbest Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 4:46pm
post #3 of 16

let me jump in....mine too. Help us please...LOL

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 4:52pm
post #4 of 16

Mine are always darker. Not dark from being overdone, dark from being the outer crust of the cake. Just like bread. It's normal. It was touching the pan, thus gets hotter, thus gets a bit browned. This is what gives it that outer support as well, helps the cake keep it's shape. If that browned crust around the edges wasn't there, your cake would most likely split and fall apart.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 4:52pm
post #5 of 16

The sides may be over baked in order to get the center done. Try using an upside down flower nail in the center of your cake pan (sprayed with cake release) to help the center cook faster. I also suggest bake even strips to keep the sides from cooking faster then the center (they also help keep the dome to a minimum). I've heard of people making their own out of old towels but I haven't tried that. I bought the Wilton ones with a Michaels 40% off coupon and I'll never bake without them again.

__Jamie__ Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 4:55pm
post #6 of 16

I mean, there's going to be a bit of browning. Not so much where it is dry, it's still moist, but it is firmer and darker than the rest of the cake. Geez....hope I haven't been doing it wrong this whole time! I don't think so. I love the way mine come out.

smitakasargod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smitakasargod Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 5:01pm
post #7 of 16

Brown crust seems like the normal yummy cake thing to me...unless it's over baked and dry. If it bakes too dark and is dry then your oven may be at a higher temperature baking the outside too much by the time it cooks through. Try lowering the temp a tiny bit (not too much though...then the cake will dry out)

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 5:10pm
post #8 of 16

I agree with Tiggy2. The wilton strips are great and I also use the upside down flower nail in the middle of any cake 10 inches or larger. The cakes cook evenly and come out perfect every time. Good luck.

miasuzzette Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 5:14pm
post #9 of 16

Now, That Tiggy2 Mention the Strips. I do put the Strips, Am I wetting them too much &That's, Why it comes out that way. icon_cry.gif Thanks u all for you respond. It's so appreciated. thumbs_up.gif

Thank You
Margie

__Jamie__ Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 5:21pm
post #10 of 16

I think you should send a link to the color that best matches your description of dark, and a clor that you are expecting/and or the color of batter. Cause I can't tell if you are overreacting or really are getting something that is unacceptable.

miasuzzette Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 5:35pm
post #11 of 16

Maybe, Iam. But, When you learning, You want to know that you are doing it Right. Thanks alot Jaime thumbs_up.gif For your Respond.

Margie

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 5:39pm
post #12 of 16

miasuzzette
I really don't think you have a problem.

However, you can check your oven temp with an oven thermometer to make sure it's heating accurately to the temp that you set.

Bake at no higher than 325.

Dont' overbake.

__Jamie__ Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 5:43pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasuzzette

Maybe, Iam. But, When you learning, You want to know that you are doing it Right. Thanks alot Jaime thumbs_up.gif For your Respond.

Margie

Couldn't agree more. So when you say dark, that leaves a lot of room for interpretation. One person's dark is anothers golden brown is another person's tan. So the more specific you can be, the more helpful those of us that have more experience can be.

Like Leahs said...don't think you are doing anything wrong, but wanted to be sure, hence the questions.

MBHazel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBHazel Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 6:11pm
post #14 of 16

Are you using dark, non stick pans? They will always cause your cake to be darker.

Hazel

whisperingmadcow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whisperingmadcow Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 6:23pm
post #15 of 16

Is it dark all the way around, or just on one side? If its just on one side, it means your oven has a hot spot.

SUELA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUELA Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 6:32pm
post #16 of 16

The bake even strips slows down the baking process to some degree, by distributing the heat all around. By baking at a lower temp for a little longer should solve the issue. I always use the strips and bake easy and my sides are fine.

I agree with everyone here that it is hard to determine what you consider dark.

If you were using too much cake release, your cake would be soggy around the edges more than anything. With the strips you are supposed to thoroughly soak, then gently squeeze excess moisture out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%