How Do You Decorate Cookies Like These?

Baking By SparkleCakes1 Updated 1 Apr 2009 , 10:56pm by SparkleCakes1

SparkleCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SparkleCakes1 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 3:56pm
post #1 of 7

I am new to cookies and have only done a couple orders. But I am wanted to know how to print names, messages etc on cookies decorated in color like in the link below. I know you can print edible images on frosting sheets, which I have done at the grocery store. But the frosting sheet is white, what if the cookie is iced in color, like pink and I just want black writing with the same icing color as the background. The ones on this webite almost look like it was printed right on the cookie or the frosting sheet is clear somehow instead of white.

I guess I would have question for cakes, if I were to make a colored banner out of fondant and printing the name or "happy birthday" with no white background...Thanks!

http://www.beau-coup.com/cookie-wedding-party-favors.htm

6 replies
TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 4:06pm
post #2 of 7

Hi! This is done with a Jet Decorator machine made by SweetArt. Very cool indeed! It is a substantial investment, but I do know of a couple of cookiers who made the investment and were happy with it. Here is a link:

http://www.sweetart.com/

lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 4:07pm
post #3 of 7

You would need extremely neat piping skills or an edible image printer and frosting sheets. There are several threads here on that subject. I just got my new printer and am awaiting the ink cartridges and paper. icon_smile.gif

SparkleCakes1 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 4:40pm
post #4 of 7

I figured it would be something (expensive) difficult. I guess it would be a good investment but I am just starting out.

Btw Tracy, your cookies are amazing! How do you get your lettering so perfect? Especially the "Love" cookie.

My next order are princess tiara cookie favors with each of the guest names on them. I am afraid it will look too messy if I freehand the names, what do you think is the best way to do them?

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 5:32pm
post #5 of 7

If you are going to use an icing that dries firm, you can use edible ink pens to write the name on the cookie. Americolor Gourmet Writers come in a pack of 10 different colors, or a pack of two black. They're wonderful! I used them to write the name of the month on my "year in cookies" photo because I knew writing them in icing in the space I had wasn't going to look nice.

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 9:53pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks, SparkleCakes! I print out my text, put wax paper over it and practice. Then pull away the sheet and practice on plain wax paper. If I really need to be precise, I use an edible pen to trace my image onto wax paper and once dry, set that on top of the dry cookie. I then use a turkey skewer (yes, a turkey skewer icon_lol.gif ) or seam ripper to go over the top to create a faint line to follow as I pipe. You may have to go through a couple of sheets depending on how many cookies you have with the same image. That is how I pulled off the Chamber of Commerce cookies as that would have been a nightmare otherwise. I did the same concept for the Love cookie. Traced and followed (and held my breath a lot! icon_lol.gif )

Gemini has a great idea with the Americolor pens! A lot of people use those with great success!

SparkleCakes1 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 10:56pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks for all the great ideas everyone! I will practice these techniques!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%