Making 3D Fondant Animals?

Decorating By iheartcookies Updated 2 Apr 2009 , 1:15pm by cms2

iheartcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iheartcookies Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 12:49pm
post #1 of 13

I think I would like to try my hand at scultping some 3d animals figures- are there any good tutorials out there? or does anyone have any tips/ advice? I looked in the articles section and didn't see anything. thanks!

12 replies
pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 2:01pm
post #2 of 13

There are a few Photos in the gallery (sketches and patterns) that explain how to make some animals as well as Aine2 has some tutorials on You Tube.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_159553.html Here is a link to a 2 minute teddy bear.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 3:31pm
post #3 of 13

Hi, I would highly recommend aine2! She got loads of free videos as well as online tutorials which you can buy. Here is the link to her website,

http://extraicingonthecake.com/#/welcome/4530751764

HTH. icon_smile.gif

iheartcookies Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 3:32pm
post #4 of 13

cool thanks! I had no idea things like that were in the gallery! that is so helpful!

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 7:15pm
post #5 of 13

I checked in local craft stores also for books on working with polymer clay. I don't remember who here on CC recommended that but that has helped tremendously. I have a jungle cake and a barnyard cake that I used the techniques on. These little magazines type books have step by step instructions with some pics to go along. It really helped me alot!

KKristy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKristy Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 8:14pm
post #6 of 13

Michelle
That barnyard cake of yours is the cutest thing I've ever seen !! It looks just like a Fisher Price toy ! I absolutely love it!
Do you happen to know the title of that clay booklet that you mentioned?
Kristy

iheartcookies Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 8:35pm
post #7 of 13

michelle your cakes are awesome! I would like to know the title of those books too if you know them, if you learned from them holy cow- maybe I have a shot at being 1/4 as good if I use the same books icon_smile.gif

CakesIMake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesIMake Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 8:48pm
post #8 of 13

I would love to know the title of the book too! *raising hand**

Michelle104 Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 2:50am
post #9 of 13

Gladly!! I have 3 and they are all from Hot Off The Press. The one I have used the most is called The Sculpey Way with Polymer Clay. It has 74 step by step projects in it by 6 different artists. You can always mix and match what you like best too. The other 2 are Little Folks and Friends, this one has 23 critters and kids, and Clever Clay Creations, this one has 11 different things but they are seasonal. They're all pretty helpful and very easy to understand. Happy to Help!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Michelle104 Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 3:00am
post #10 of 13

Gladly!! I have 3 and they are all from Hot Off The Press. The one I have used the most is called The Sculpey Way with Polymer Clay. It has 74 step by step projects in it by 6 different artists. You can always mix and match what you like best too. The other 2 are Little Folks and Friends, this one has 23 critters and kids, and Clever Clay Creations, this one has 11 different things but they are seasonal. They're all pretty helpful and very easy to understand. Happy to Help!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

iheartcookies Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 12:11pm
post #11 of 13

thanks so much Michelle! I am going to head to the craft store at lunch and see if I can track these down!

Jaimelt76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jaimelt76 Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 12:44pm
post #12 of 13

l also use the sculpey books for my animals. If you can't find them at your craft store check ebay. I have purchased several off of their and love all of them. Good Luck, Jaime

cms2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cms2 Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 1:15pm
post #13 of 13

Someone on CC recommended the book "I Can't Believe I'm Sculpting Clay Figures" by Becky Meverden. I ordered it used through Amazon and I really liked it. I just used fondant instead of the clay. You would not believe how cute they turned out. I was so impressed with them. icon_smile.gif

The book has instructions for a bear, bunny, elephant, giraffe, sanke, frog, monkey, panda, pig, and sheep. Also, Santa and a reindeer. The one really great thing is it has a template of all different sizes of balls. So when it says, make a 5/16" ball, you have the template to go by instead of just guessing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%