Omg! More Helpful Hints......

Decorating By grama_j Updated 3 Apr 2009 , 7:39pm by tonedna

grama_j Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 11:07am
post #1 of 39

I was surfing the web this morning and ran across this.... icon_surprised.gif "Helpful wedding cake hints"..... Bold text is by me....

How to Lower a Wedding Cake Price
Posted by admin | Posted in Cakes, Idea, Tips | Posted on 14-11-2008
Have you wondered why wedding cakes costs hit the roof? Why do they cost so much? You will be amazed to know that the prices could touch $15 per person or more?

I recall how Mrs. Ingridman taught me invaluable lessons on how to lower a wedding cake price while still going for the classiest of cakes. After her successful wedding, she told me how she managed to treat her guests with a mouthwatering cake which was bought at reasonable price.

She told me the reasons why most wedding cakes turn out to be expensive are because the cake pans used to bake them are expensive. I will list some of the ways by which you can lower a wedding cake price and choose the best cake for your wedding:

1. Before you agree to give an order to the baker, make sure that the decoration and design is the right kind to suit your taste. Go through referrals and see what prices are being quoted. Look through the samples first before deciding on your cake. A supermarket could offer a wide range of cakes at a lesser cost than your bakery.

2. Decide on how you want to decorate your wedding cakewhether you want to keep it simple and cute or splendid and rich. Avoid over decorating the cake. It is not necessary to have a five tiered cake. You can have your cake stacked if you want.

3. Bakers who are not specially into wedding cakes could still bake the best cakes and cost less. Home bakers too do not charge much and could make lovely cakes.

4. You can borrow the pillars. There are disposable pillars available with your local baker or rental companies which are a better alternative than those crystal pillars if you want to cut down on the cost of the pillars. Let the baker or your local rental company helps you with the disposable pillars instead of the crystal ones.

5. Another great idea would be to find prices at a cake making or culinary school near your place. Students have baking and decorating cakes as part of their curriculum. You can be assured that you will get gorgeous cake and have your wedding cake made at a very low price.

6. Investigate prices at a culinary school near you. If students are baking and decorating wedding cakes as part of their curriculum, the per person charge may be greatly reduced.

7. You can even save on your wedding cake topper prices. In Mrs.Ingridmans case her uncle asked her what she would like to have as a wedding present. Her quick answer was a wedding cake topper. Often relatives and well wishers would ask you to ask what you need as a gift.

8. Another good thing which Miss. Ingridman did, which you may want to do, is that if you buy a multi-tiered cake, see that you decorate it yourself or have the florist do it for you. If you want flowers on your cake but the cost of the artificial flowers isnt fitting in your budget, let your florist put real flowers on the cake. Just make sure that they are non toxic. Check the price of the organic edible flowers.
As Mrs. Ingridman put it, before you meet with any baker, look around for the best samples.

Expect to pay per slice of the cake as the cake cost depends more on style than flavors.

Before sign up with your baker, shop around or decide what is the topper you would like, what style you would want for you cake, what flavor is the taste of the season for you and how tiered it should bebut the most important see that your mouthwatering wedding cake comes at mouthwatering price.

What is important to get what you want, at a price which does not tug at your purse strings.

38 replies
kjt Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 11:15am
post #2 of 39

tapedshut.gif Un-freakin-believable!!!

pouchet82 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 11:19am
post #3 of 39

What!? Home bakers cost less??? Isn't this what we are fighting against!?
And the cakes are expensive because the pans are expensive? Has this yutz tried to decorate a wedding cake themselves? Do they realize the blood, sweat and tears that go into them?? People are SOOOOOO ingnorant.

lainalee Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 11:21am
post #4 of 39

Gotta to love it when the "Clueless" are so "Helpful"! icon_mad.gif

Starkie Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 11:22am
post #5 of 39

Does this woman live anywhere on the planet Earth??? I've had some people go with Wal-Mart over me, but I have never had to haggle over pillar pricing!

costumeczar Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 11:24am
post #6 of 39

I'm wetting my pants laughing right now! That is too funny. Yes, it's all because of those expensive cake pans, that's the reason.

Now I'm going to go borrow some pillars, get those ultra-cheap organic edible flowers, and stack five tiers of cake to make it cheaper. WTH?

costumeczar Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 11:29am
post #7 of 39

Here's the link for the article. Go to it and comment on it for your good deed for the day. You can prevent more brides from believing this nonsense! The comment box is all the way at the bottom of the page.

lainalee Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 12:44pm
post #8 of 39

Thanks for the link. I just sent my 2cents. icon_mad.gif

mrswendel Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 1:02pm
post #9 of 39

WOW! I just took a look at the link and some of the other articles on there. Did you know that the cakes in bakery windows aren't the real thing....they are "cardboard cutouts" (in the article about cheap cakes - the no bake cake). Umm, last time I checked my dummy cakes weren't cardboard cutouts. Maybe the terminology is different, but cardboard cutout to me is like a posterboard picture of a cake....can you imagine that on the cake table? Too funny!

jovigirl Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 1:04pm
post #10 of 39
Originally Posted by lainalee

Thanks for the link. I just sent my 2cents. icon_mad.gif

Good for you!!!

pouchet82 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 2:15pm
post #11 of 39

Wow, that website is such a load of cr*p. I had to stop reading because it was making me so angry!! Plus it says to fill out a survey below and there was none. GRRRRR

mkolmar Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 3:39pm
post #12 of 39

This is so funny. I love the part about the culinary students doing the cake. Guess what, I went to culinary school and it was scheduled for only 1 week of cake decorating that never happened. The pastry chef became extremely ill and no one ever taught the class how to cake decorate.

Oh but those cake pans are oh so expensive...........please.

I read the comments you all left. Hopefully, the author of this article will read them too.

costumeczar Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 8:30pm
post #13 of 39

I went there and looked for comments, but I couldn't see any. Where do you see them on the page? I'll try again...

luvsfreebies72 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 8:46pm
post #14 of 39

So who are these bakers that are using baking pans made of gold? Cause that's what they would have to be made of to make the cake so darn expensive!

Culinary students?? wth? Le Cordon Bleu in Pasadena spends only a few days on cake decorating - the students that actually want to learn it wind up taking the Wilton courses in addition to thier school curriculum (We had 1 in one of my classe I just took, that's how I know)

I've never even done a wedding cake, but I know enough to know that this is a load of crap

aggiechef Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 8:58pm
post #15 of 39

I went to culinary school in San Francisco, and my instructor would've laughed in someone's face if they'd asked him to let us do a wedding cake. I was in a baking and pastry arts program with a 6 week cake class and we had to do a wedding cake as a final project. He still wouldn't have let us make something for someone outside the school.

I wanted to put that 2 cents in before I actually go read the article. My curiosity is peaked now. icon_smile.gif

aggiechef Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 9:03pm
post #16 of 39

I read the article and put my 2 cents worth in the comments section. That kind of stuff is just infuriating!!!!

tripleD Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 9:04pm
post #17 of 39

Someone never really did any research before they wrote this article. Or Maybe its:

She only wishes she could do what we do!!!!

Lady_Phoenix Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 9:09pm
post #18 of 39

That kind of crap makes me furious! icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif I added my dimes worth of opinion too. Maybe some poor clueless bride will read it and begin to appreciate what we all do!

aggiechef Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 9:11pm
post #19 of 39

I agree with's cake decorator envy!!

The person that wrote that obviously doesn't know the time and effort it takes to make a wedding cake.

I seem to be venting a lot on this subject right now. I guess it's because I'm in the process of working on my first paid wedding cake so the subject hits close to home right now.

tonedna Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 9:39pm
post #20 of 39

lol...some people are just plain ignorant!

enoid Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 10:01pm
post #21 of 39

Costumeczar On the right hand side near the bottom it says read comments. HTH

gerripje Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 10:29pm
post #22 of 39

I'm just beginning to consider the possiblity of making cakes as a career. (If I get good enough!) Why does it seem like wedding cakes are always the first to be attacked!! Mind you, I don't search other subjects, but it seems to me that everyone just expects to pay whatever for a dress or flowers or the place, but oh we can sure get that cake cheaper!! Doesn't anybody buy groceries and see what ingredients cost, what electricity costs, etc.?? It's discouraging to me, I don't want to have to argue with people to justify what a GOOD cake costs. Articles like these sure don't help any.

costumeczar Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 12:26am
post #23 of 39

This same article is repeated in a few different places on different websites. I think that someone will write whatever they can pull out of their butt, just to fill the space, because they can then say that they're published authors. One idiot probably cuts and pastes another idiot's article, and this is the result. Ha ha ha!

xstitcher Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 3:23am
post #24 of 39

Is it just me or is the link to the cake channel she provided asking for $$ to look at cake pics? Why would you want to do that when you can do it for free on the internet???

Creative_chika Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 3:42am
post #25 of 39

Just commented! Unbelievable.

juleebug Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 3:47am
post #26 of 39
Originally Posted by xstitcher

Is it just me or is the link to the cake channel she provided asking for $$ to look at cake pics? Why would you want to do that when you can do it for free on the internet???

So we shouldn't question that she is charging us to look at pics of cakes designed/decorated by others BUT, in the name of all that is holy, we should NEVER pay "full price" for a professionally decorated cake! icon_confused.gif Because everyone KNOWS that decorators have been ripping off poor, uneducated brides for ages.

And I'd LOVE to know what the people who actually decorated those cakes think about her charging people to view them. If she doesn't own the photos, isn't that copyright infringement? Or possibly, theft of intellectual property?

If I had the $ in my PayPal I'd buy it and let you all search for your cakes because I would bet my eye teeth some of them are in there.

costumeczar Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 1:44pm
post #27 of 39

I looked at the link to the cake website she's promoting, and this article is obviously just a way to get people to go there and pay to get into the library of cake pictures that she's selling. I have a cousin who has a business where he does those kinds of pay-for-information websites, and he rakes in the bucks from people who don't know any better. He just sits there and writes some crap about a subject that he thinks he can sell, and you'd be surprised how many people will pay $15 for the downloaded stuff he does.

I told my son that if he invented an online game like World of Warcraft where people paid for it I'd be proud of him, but if he did something like what my cousin does I wouldn't want to tell people what he did! It comes down to how willing you are to hold your nose while you take unsuspecting people's money. icon_redface.gif

SUELA Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 1:55pm
post #28 of 39

I've had Le Cordon Blue students in Ottawa Canada attend my decorating classes, as they don't get taught that!

Number 5 and 6 are redundant...and since when are artifical flowers CHEAPER than organic edible flowers from a FLORIST. (Florists who are just as expensive, I might add").

Because a bride (assuming a non-baking, non-decorating) has nothing better to do days before her wedding than decorate a cake.

juleebug Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 1:56pm
post #29 of 39

Did anyone else read her "bio"?

"Nina Romanov
Nina is an expert freelance writer. She is a cake decorator and a certified naturopath. Presently she is happily RV-ing with her husband."

kakeladi Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 2:06pm
post #30 of 39

........Presently she is happily RV-ing with her husband.".........

Aaaahhhhhhh that's what wrong!!!!!! Those RVers are really weird people! icon_smile.gif

Has anyone noticed the date this ridicules(sp?) thing was posted?

Quote by @%username% on %date%