What Tier Sizes Would You Use...

Business By sjholderman Updated 2 Apr 2009 , 2:13am by FromScratch

sjholderman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjholderman Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 6:30am
post #1 of 6

for a wedding cake to serve 150? I told her the top was for the first anniversary and was my gift to the couple, and she could do 8-12-16 for 156 (wilton) servings or 6/8 - 12-14 for 136 servings. I also mentioned the 80% rule. What tier sizes do you normally recommend for this size event. I'm doubting myself as this would only be my second wedding cake icon_surprised.gif

5 replies
FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 10:25am
post #2 of 6

Hmmm.. so you need 150 servings or she is inviting 150 people?

And it's more like a 65-70% rule of invited guests to actual shows. I don't offer the top tier as a gift, I give them a voucher for a fresh 4" cake on their anniversary, so I usually count the whole cake.

Personally I think an 8" topper is too big. It looks off to me. I'd lead with a 5 or a 6" topper and go from there. Don't forget that you can always provide a kitchen cake to make up for servings to keep the cake balanced too. Does she want a 3 or a 4 tiered cake? I'm assuming round right?

sjholderman Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 5:31pm
post #3 of 6

Weellll, I don't know, she keeps giving me this I'm still weighing my options stuff, and not giving me much information. Her total order as it would be a three tiered cake to serve 150 and 150 cupcakes. I'm assuming that just her guestlist, not her confirmed, because the wedding isn't til October. I would Rather lead with a 6 in cake, I just wasn't sure what the best configuration would be. A voucher for a new 4 in cake is a great idea though! Do you decorate it like the original for them?

FromScratch Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 5:48pm
post #4 of 6

No, I don't decorate it to mirror their cake. I offer a 4" cake covered in SMBC and white fondant with a pearl border and interlocking hearts on top. If they want it to look like their cake they can pay a small fee. icon_smile.gif

And wow... 300 servings of cake? That's a ton. At this point I'd let her know a per serving price and a price range and tell her the details can be ironed out when she has a more clear cut idea of what she will need.

sjholderman Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 12:05am
post #5 of 6

Thanks for your help! I emailed her back with the anniversary cake idea. The most frustrating thing is that she knew my per serving information, and I'd like to be able to do something else for her and lock this down! Lol O well what can ya do?!

FromScratch Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 2:13am
post #6 of 6

Would she settle for a price range? I mean if she has no idea what she wants you can't really give her specifics anyway. If she's stuck on a 3 tier main cake I'd tell her she could have a 6-9-12 main cake and a 12" kitchen cake. That would be 100 servings for the main cake and 56 for the kitchen cake. That'd be the easiest and most eye pleasing way to do it. If not talk her into a 4 tiered main cake. A 5-8-11-14 will give you at least 150 servings...

HTH's... nothing better than a bride who doesn't know what she wants... wanting specifics. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%