Decorating Techniques For Cookie Newbie

Baking By LD4703 Updated 2 Apr 2009 , 1:48pm by LD4703

LD4703 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LD4703 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 5:05am
post #1 of 8

Well, I've been perusing the forums for a few days and the galleries. I've made a batch of NFSC and Antonia's frosting. I haven't had the nerve to start decorating tho! Maybe tomorrow night! I'm such a perfectionist that I'm nervous to start.

I think I've figured out some of the techniques but for the life of me, can't figure out how to achieve the "plaid" look short of having an exceptionally steady hand.

I know I just need to jump in and try but if someone could point me to some directions on this I'd be so grateful!
Thanks!
Lisa

7 replies
patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 5:17am
post #2 of 8

Wish I could help but I don't know on that one. Have you thought about finding a cookie in the gallery like you are talking about and PMing the person who made them?

sweetopia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetopia Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 9:54am
post #3 of 8

Hi!
A couple of tips that may help are:

-when you're piping the lines, make sure your piping tip is at least an inch away from the cookie... just let the icing 'fall' onto the cookie

-your icing has to be somewhat runny so that it flows easily onto your cookie. I like the 10 second rule. Drag a butter knife through your icing when it's sitting in the bowl... It should take about 10 seconds for the surface of the icing to be smooth again.

Hope that helps!
Marian

Joanne914 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joanne914 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 11:43am
post #4 of 8

Hi Lisa icon_smile.gif

If you could show us a picture of what you're trying to recreate, we would love to help. (that's what CC is all about!) I'm just not sure how to advise you until I see what you are trying to do. And don't be hesitant...just jump on in there and start decorating girl! You'll be hooked just like the rest of us!

LD4703 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 12:00pm
post #5 of 8

Well, as I'm looking again, it looks like it was piped on with a very steady hand! Thanks so much for all of the nice responses.

Tonight I'm going to jump in and try this! I've ordered some new cookie cutters and I'm hoping they get here today!!

Thanks again for the warm welcome!!
Lisa

sweetopia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetopia Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 10:06am
post #6 of 8

Good luck and let us know how you make out!
=) Marian

makeminepink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeminepink Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 10:38am
post #7 of 8

Are you by any chance referring to the plaid leaf cookie that was on yesterday? I'm wondering if she used the tip with more than one opening. That would help. You can always send her a private message. Everyone is so great about helping each other. Good luck with your cookies!

LD4703 Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 1:48pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Quote:

Are you by any chance referring to the plaid leaf cookie that was on yesterday? I'm wondering if she used the tip with more than one opening. That would help. You can always send her a private message. Everyone is so great about helping each other. Good luck with your cookies!

Yes! That's the one! Thanks so much! I keep buying supplies but haven't started...tonight after work for sure!

Thanks everyone for the encouragement!
Lisa

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%